Luka Doncic (pre and post-draft discussion thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My understanding (and someone - probably Capt. Factorial, it's usually Capt - can correct me if I'm wrong) is that international players don't have to declare for the draft at all. Once they reach a certain age, they are available to be drafted by an NBA team. It is then up to them whether they want to go to the NBA or not.

The Kings did this with Peja and had to wait, with Hido who came over immediately, and with Bodiroga who decided to never come to the NBA at all.

More recently guys like Timothe Luwawu-Cabarrot and Papagiannis came over right away while Saric and Bogdanovic chose to wait. But they were draft eligible as soon as they reached a certain age.
Equivalent age of ncaa seniors. Before that age they have to declare.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/new...gs-hawks-grizzlies/10xeaae8vtxbw1ogvp4gfponwr

Even in his absence, though, Doncic created a stir when he told reporters in Europe this week that he was not sure he would be playing his final games for Real Madrid.

But Kings fans — and fans of any of the teams at the top of next month’s draft — can breathe easy. Doncic’s comments had nothing to do with Sacramento or an intention to use the threat of staying in Europe to pick his team.

“Luka has stated no particular thought on any NBA teams,” his agent, Bill Duffy, told Sporting News on Thursday.

In other words, if Sacramento — or any team — were to draft Doncic, the location of that team would have no bearing whether he continues in Europe or comes to the NBA.

So still sounds like he just doesnt want to decide until after season ends

gunks

Hall of Famer
http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/new...gs-hawks-grizzlies/10xeaae8vtxbw1ogvp4gfponwr

Even in his absence, though, Doncic created a stir when he told reporters in Europe this week that he was not sure he would be playing his final games for Real Madrid.

But Kings fans — and fans of any of the teams at the top of next month’s draft — can breathe easy. Doncic’s comments had nothing to do with Sacramento or an intention to use the threat of staying in Europe to pick his team.

“Luka has stated no particular thought on any NBA teams,” his agent, Bill Duffy, told Sporting News on Thursday.

In other words, if Sacramento — or any team — were to draft Doncic, the location of that team would have no bearing whether he continues in Europe or comes to the NBA.

Methinks, like others have said, that Luka is just being a cool guy to his teammates and fans and focusing on the moment. No reason to talk about the next step when he has a tournament to worry about!

Especially with his agent flat out saying that he's not trying to force his way to a particular team.

From same article:

The important thing is that Doncic is still under contract with Real Madrid, and will participate in the ACB (Spanish League) playoffs next month. Duffy earlier told Sporting News that Doncic would not be participating in workouts for NBA teams ahead of the draft, for much the same reason — he wants to show respect to his current teammates and team.

Sooo I looked up the playoffs-Looks like:

2018 ACB Playoffs
Country
SpainDates 27 May 2018 – 23 June 2018Teams 8Defending champions Valencia Basket

The 2018 ACB Playoffs, also known as 2018 Liga Endesa Playoffs for sponsorship reasons, will be the postseason tournament of the ACB's 2017–18 season, which began September 29, 2017. The playoffs will start on 27 May 2018 and will end at the latest on 23 June 2018 with the Finals.

Soooo since the draft is on June 21 is before the Finals, do we have to wait to see IF he will come until after the draft?

I dont mind if he misses the draft in person, but I hope he will commit to come next year before the draft!!

I hope one of two things

A. Maybe the Spainish ACB Playoffs are not as a big deal as the Euro Basket Tournament (Which is against other Euro top teams?)
and Real Madrid is already the top seed so maybe not a big deal and he will disclose his decision before the Draft on June 21

or

B. He informs Vlade privately before the Draft?

Straight from the agent's mouth.

Well that makes me feel better about not coming here, but still uneasy on how many years it could take.

This is no different than reporters asking soon to be NBA free agents where they are going next year while they're in the middle of a playoff run. Do you ever hear a player say "Yeah I plan on signing elsewhere" while they're in the playoffs fighting for a championship?

If the Euro season is over and Doncic is talking like this, then we may have cause for concern. Right now the media is just taking his comment out of context and trying to create a story out of thin air to get your clicks. I'd ignore them for now.

So I was wondering if Petrie knew Peja was not coming before the 1996 draft so I looked it up

His father anounced Peja would stay home for two more years before Peja was drafted at 14th by Petrie
So he dropped down to 14th

So with the difference in starting salary dropping down from the second spot if teams could not count on
Luka coming over I would think Luka or his agent would commit at last min prior to the draft to secure the #2 spot

So Luka Skypes with Vlade the night before the draft:

hey Vlade!!! good to see your face

My Team is in the finals here in spain in three days! I am so excited to play for my team!!

Of course I will not be answering any questions regarding whether or not I will come to Sacramento this year (Wink! Wink!)
until after the Finals are over (Wink! Wink!) I know you understand Right? (Wink! Wink!)

Vlade:

Of course I Understand Luka (Wink! Wink!), you have a great Game in the Finals! (Wink! Wink!)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I hope one of two things

A. Maybe the Spainish ACB Playoffs are not as a big deal as the Euro Basket Tournament (Which is against other Euro top teams?)
and Real Madrid is already the top seed so maybe not a big deal and he will disclose his decision before the Draft on June 21

or

B. He informs Vlade privately before the Draft?
I'm not sure, but I don't think he could do that.

Remember Duffy is his US agent who doesn’t get paid unless he signs with a US team. He also has a Spanish agent who he is talking to. It’s useful to consider Duffy incentives in the conversation.

So Luka Skypes with Vlade the night before the draft:

hey Vlade!!! good to see your face

My Team is in the finals here in spain in three days! I am so excited to play for my team!!

Of course I will not be answering any questions regarding whether or not I will come to Sacramento this year (Wink! Wink!)
until after the Finals are over (Wink! Wink!) I know you understand Right? (Wink! Wink!)

Vlade:

Of course I Understand Luka (Wink! Wink!), you have a great Game in the Finals! (Wink! Wink!)
Why would they be skype when both of them are in Belgrade. Pretty sure Bogdan is there too but he will be barracking for Fener as opposed to Real Madrid! :D

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I'd imagine Vlade would be looking for a verbal commitment from Luka before considering drafting him and hence one of the many reasons he is visiting....he did the same with Bogs

Big piece on ESPN television about Doncic and a possible power playnot come to Sacramento. Vlade better get it figured out while he's over there. I'm not interested in more premadonna Billy Owens BS.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Big piece on ESPN television about Doncic and a possible power playnot come to Sacramento. Vlade better get it figured out while he's over there. I'm not interested in more premadonna Billy Owens BS.
There's a reason ESPN is called BSPN. They love to stir the pot, especially when the Kings are involved. At this point, it's way too early to be making any kind of assumptions about what Doncic will or won't do.

There's a reason ESPN is called BSPN. They love to stir the pot, especially when the Kings are involved. At this point, it's way too early to be making any kind of assumptions about what Doncic will or won't do.
Fair enough. I certainly didn't believe this to be a foregone conclusion.

Your first mistake was ESPN your second mistake was believing it. But his agent already came out deny that comical story

Your first mistake was ESPN your second mistake was believing it. But his agent already came out deny that comical story
I did not realize ESPN was so uncredable, but hey I'm about the only one here that listens to the cowbell kingdom podcast.
Anyways, hopefully this is all a nonissue as Donic will almost certainly fall to us, IMO, if Vlade decides to go this route.

I did not realize ESPN was so uncredable, but hey I'm about the only one here that listens to the cowbell kingdom podcast.
Anyways, hopefully this is all a nonissue as Donic will almost certainly fall to us, IMO, if Vlade decides to go this route.
No NBA player would answer a reporter, in the middle of the playoffs , if they were changing teams when/if they lose. Until Vlade comes back with more info, this remains a non-story

Not picking on you personally but I see this worry about Doncic elsewhere as well and for the moment, it's about being a professional and not looking too far ahead about inevitably leaving your current team to move on to the NBA.

Status
Not open for further replies.