Luka Doncic (pre and post-draft discussion thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
i just want to be able to see what majority of kings fans see. I wouldn't call them fanboys because its like 80% of all kings fans everywhere. I would really like somebody to point me to the hype. I watched videos and a few games. I still don't see it. Its not like i see anybody that is a world better. its just some see the second coming with Luka. I want to be that hyped. I want to feel it. just don't
It’s not just Kings fans. Multiple podcasts I’ve listened to all have Doncic as #1 on their boards. And I’ve listened to podcasts from diff teams, general nba/sports podcasts and kings podcasts. They all think we’d be crazy to pass on Luka, not to mention they wouldn’t be surprised if we passed on him because KANGS.

i just want to be able to see what majority of kings fans see. I wouldn't call them fanboys because its like 80% of all kings fans everywhere. I would really like somebody to point me to the hype. I watched videos and a few games. I still don't see it. Its not like i see anybody that is a world better. its just some see the second coming with Luka. I want to be that hyped. I want to feel it. just don't
If you don't understand why people are hyped about a 19-year-old kid playing and winning MVP in the second best league in the world with the pinpoint accuracy passing and the willingness to distribute, and the basketball IQ and the guts to not shy away from physicality, then I don't know what your criteria of a potential young player is.

Last edited:
Or the other team's Power Forward since a lot of those guys just spot up and shoot these days anyway. My thinking is that you put Doncic at SF and a bigger wing or combo forward at the PF spot who can cover multiple positions and have that guy take the other team's top wing on defense. Doncic guards whichever guy is off the ball more and his main job is to play the passing lanes and try to stick close enough to deny the open three. It's not exactly going to work out that way because the best offensive teams are spreading the floor and using a lot of screens to free up shooters. So it will be more of a zone assignment thing but when one of the other team's wings wants to isolate, more often than not it would not be Doncic trying to defend them.
People can disagree with my take, and it may turn out to be warranted, which will make me sad. However, WCS has the ability to be our 4 with Giles at 5, and can guard the opposing teams top wing as a 7 footer.

The question is, will he? Up to him and Joerger and Vlade. But Vlade calling out Willie in the end of the season presser leads me to believe, it is at least 60/40 that Willie not only has been told " Look, the offense you are looking to provide is going to be awesome, but I first need this out of you.", but also being his first contract year, and with us jumping to two, and my belief that Joerger and Vlade are not the bumbling idiots some would have us believe, that WIllie is going to thrive next season. If we draft Luka and we already have Bogdan and Fox, it is almost too good to be true for Willie at the four. Almost.

Defense Willie. Defense.

People can disagree with my take, and it may turn out to be warranted, which will make me sad. However, WCS has the ability to be our 4 with Giles at 5, and can guard the opposing teams top wing as a 7 footer.

The question is, will he? Up to him and Joerger and Vlade. But Vlade calling out Willie in the end of the season presser leads me to believe, it is at least 60/40 that Willie not only has been told " Look, the offense you are looking to provide is going to be awesome, but I first need this out of you.", but also being his first contract year, and with us jumping to two, and my belief that Joerger and Vlade are not the bumbling idiots some would have us believe, that WIllie is going to thrive next season. If we draft Luka and we already have Bogdan and Fox, it is almost too good to be true for Willie at the four. Almost.

Defense Willie. Defense.
"I want to believe". Fox Mulder

That's what you're basing your position on?
You mean from reports posted on NBA.com?

At any rate, I think it's down to MPJ or Bagley. That's my opinion. I have Bagley, Doncic and JJJ above MPJ so I'd personally prefer Doncic over MPJ. Bagley is my guy but I do like Doncic. And if the Kings pick MPJ I hope he exceeds my expectation.

Last edited:
You mean from reports posted on NBA.com?

At any rate, I think it's down to MPJ or Bagley. That's my opinion. I have Bagley, Doncic and JJJ above MPJ so I'd personally prefer Doncic over MPJ. Bagley is my guy but I do like Doncic. And if the Kings pick MPJ I hope he exceeds my expectation.
I'd definitely add Doncic as well as Wendell Carter to that list. Where there's smoke there's fire with this team. I don't want any of those guys so nothing to do with my wish list but if I had to bet it's Doncic or Bagley. Tea leaves are starting to look like Doncic at this point. I think it's a mistake...

If you steer away from BPA and fun & creative basketball with three playmaking guards on the floor; and just focus on what the Kings need - first and foremost they need a shotmaker/finisher. If the Kings believe that they have enough facilitators in the lineup, then Doncic would be too many cooks in the kitchen and MPJ/Bagley makes sense for they both can finish shots abeit from different spots on the floor.

Sure, a Fox/Bogie/Doncic lineup sounds fun on paper; I can imagine the fast tempo, the passing, and the picking n rolling. But this is a lineup that requires a speical brand of coach to make it work; and there is no guarantee that it can.

I have Doncic ranked above MPJ but depending on what sets Joeger is going to run, Doncic may not fit. But what would be a very good fit under most offense is a sharp shooter or athletic interior finisher to pair with your two facilitating guards. In that universe, Doncic is out. Don't get me wrong, Doncic can shoot but being a cold assassin is not his forte.

At this point, if I have to guess, I'm guessing it's really is down to either MPJ or Bagley as rumored. I had Bagley ranked slightly above Doncic but I always thought Doncic would be a very good fit here for an offensively creative coach.

In this scenario, you replace the coach. Not gut your roster, or base your lotto blessings you were FINALLY bestowed with, on a single person who has a very important job ( I mean, coach ya know?) . I know noone is talking gut the roster per se , but I think a deep breath before the plunge is in order.I would hope no one is all about " This is Joergers final year to get it right. GTHOOH with that.

We won the lotto in my opinion. We won last season in a way. I think back about the Laker fan redditor I had an exchange with, that I mentioned on these forums. Seen here - https://community.kingsfans.com/thr...day-april-1-6-30-pt.69248/page-6#post-1369913

Who is laughing now good buddy? ;)

The reason you might not be as hyped about Luka is you are looking at a player, as an individual, when what he brings elevates a team. He will make everyone better at what they are already some of the best in the world at.

Addendum: That is the hope behind the hype

I'd definitely add Doncic as well as Wendell Carter to that list. Where there's smoke there's fire with this team. I don't want any of those guys so nothing to do with my wish list but if I had to bet it's Doncic or Bagley. Tea leaves are starting to look like Doncic at this point. I think it's a mistake...
I have this pipe-dream scenario where we wind up with Doncic and Carter and our "match up with this" line-up is Fox/Hield/Bogdanovic/Doncic/Carter. Would probably have to give up too much to get there though.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Napear and Christie finally pivoting away from Porter Jr and talking up Doncic. Finally some sense of sanity.
Please let this be true! There's been a lot of buzz about us picking Porter Jr. but even if he's the player so many optimistically project him to be I think Doncic helps us more. Porter Jr. isn't going to have half the impact that Doncic will, even if he's dropping 25 points per game. Looking like an NBA athlete is a whole different thing than playing for your teammates and knowing how to win. We're setting the direction of the franchise here, I really want to see us pointed in a direction where ball movement is not just something we occasionally talk about but it's the identity of the team. There'll be a new crop of super athletic wings in the draft next year, as there is every year. Are any of them going to execute out of a pick and roll and routinely set up shooters with open shots? That's less likely.

gunks

Hall of Famer
I was watching older clips of Doncic for the first time last night, and as others have mentioned, he was noticeably more athletic a year ago.

We get him to chill on the fast food and hit the gym, I don't think he'll have any problems keeping up with NBA athletes.

I'm not saying his athleticism will ever be a strength, it won't be, but it can definitely be minimized as a weakness.

Of course now I'm even MORE pumped about drafting him, which means it's gonna be Porter Jr or Bagley! Haha

We’ve all seen the video but still man this was a 17 year old vs nba players making plays. And he said he was nerves for that game too, look at the passing he had there.
He's the 2nd coming of Jason Williams, only taller, maybe a better shooter, and worse ball-faker. It would be back to razzle-dazzle, but what about winning? I'm not against picking Doncic, just wondering what the outcome might be. Its intriguing enough to just pick him and find out. Or, they get Ayton. Its fairly simple. I wouldn't be upset if they pick JJJ (but they wont) for a trade-down with the Hawks for 19 and JJJ, and another prospect. Would be mildly upset with Bagley though.

Of course now I'm even MORE pumped about drafting him, which means it's gonna be Porter Jr or Bagley! Haha
It is NOT going to be Porter. I can almost guarantee you of that. The Kings at the top are dumb, but they are not that dumb. It is going to be Luka or Bagley. I will be mildly disappointed if it if Luka, but he's a kid I can root for. But I do not think he will be the pick. Vlade loves Fox and Boggy too much to pick a player who overlaps their skillset. If Luka was a lights out shooter from deep or created his own offense with burst and juke moves and projected as 20+ PPG guy, then you pull the trigger. But he's not quite this guy. Maybe he can get there but I think he's more of a 16 / 8 / 8 type of a player. Also why did he let himself go a little physically, with the reports he's a little pudgy? Hmmm.... I hear he likes to party hard in Spain. Bagley is more about his business. Bagley and Luka were born two weeks apart, so both are quite accomplished at young age. On the Lowe podcast, Givony said an NBA executive said the Bagley runs end to end as well as any NBA big he has EVER seen. We already have the fastest PG in the NBA. How can you find a better complement to this? Case closed. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.