Luka Doncic (pre and post-draft discussion thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Dwyane Wade and LeBron can play together in their primes I think DeAaron Fox and Luka Doncic can work something out. Also don't forget Bogi was actually far and away our best playmaker last season and I'm sure he would be all for adding Doncic. Bogdanovic was excellent off catch and shoot and I suspect Doncic will be also in if not right away than in time(his form is excellent). There's no reason Bogdanovic, Buddy, and Doncic can all be 40% + catch and shoot guys if Fox develops into the dynamic PG we want him to be. You can never have enough shooting and smart basketball players in the modern game.

I don't see why we would have to choose between them. Completely different type of players imo.
Different players but it makes one of them a bit of a waste if Fox can't shoot.

If it turns out that Fox can't shoot but he can get to the rim constantly, then you're essentially taking away Doncic's best skill and using him in more of a spot up type situation that would be better suited for a 3&D player.

If Fox develops a shot and is able to facilitate, then these guys can share duties and Joerger can manage them in a Paul/Harden type way where he pulls say Fox off the floor after 6 minutes and then reinserts him in the game after he pulls Doncic out. That way one of them is on the floor at all times and they both share the floor a good amount. Basically there would be no need for a backup PG the same way Houston doesn't really use one.

It all depends on Fox's shot. Doncic should be able to spot shoot just fine but his value is lessened if he can't break defenses down and find open shooters. Theoretically he can play with anyone. It's Fox that will be the ill fit if he can't shoot the ball. If they both wind up being able to shoot and facilitate, they should wind up being a formidable change of pace duo that can have defenses on their heels every time down the floor.

Having someone like Doncic would help Fox more than hurt. I think having him on the floor with him would allow Fox to be more concerned about creating for himself. He's not a natural offensive orchestrator but he looks to have the speed and moves to create shots for himself in the middle of the floor at will. Doncic would also be a nice outlet for Fox when he has the ball. Then Bogdan and Buddy can still play some pick and roll and be used more as catch and shoot players. I do believe Buddy was like one of the best last year and in desperate need of more attempts IIRC.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
MOD NOTE: A few posts have been deleted. This thread is not and will not be about NCAA vs. Euro League or the caliber of Euro League players in general. Just not gonna happen.

If you steer away from BPA and fun & creative basketball with three playmaking guards on the floor; and just focus on what the Kings need - first and foremost they need a shotmaker/finisher. If the Kings believe that they have enough facilitators in the lineup, then Doncic would be too many cooks in the kitchen and MPJ/Bagley makes sense for they both can finish shots abeit from different spots on the floor.

Sure, a Fox/Bogie/Doncic lineup sounds fun on paper; I can imagine the fast tempo, the passing, and the picking n rolling. But this is a lineup that requires a speical brand of coach to make it work; and there is no guarantee that it can.

I have Doncic ranked above MPJ but depending on what sets Joeger is going to run, Doncic may not fit. But what would be a very good fit under most offense is a sharp shooter or athletic interior finisher to pair with your two facilitating guards. In that universe, Doncic is out. Don't get me wrong, Doncic can shoot but being a cold assassin is not his forte.

At this point, if I have to guess, I'm guessing it's really is down to either MPJ or Bagley as rumored. I had Bagley ranked slightly above Doncic but I always thought Doncic would be a very good fit here for an offensively creative coach.

If you steer away from BPA and fun & creative basketball with three playmaking guards on the floor; and just focus on what the Kings need - first and foremost they need a shotmaker/finisher. If the Kings believe that they have enough facilitators in the lineup, then Doncic would be too many cooks in the kitchen and MPJ/Bagley makes sense for they both can finish shots abeit from different spots on the floor.

Sure, a Fox/Bogie/Doncic lineup sounds fun on paper; I can imagine the fast tempo, the passing, and the picking n rolling. But this is a lineup that requires a speical brand of coach to make it work; and there is no guarantee that it can.

I have Doncic ranked above MPJ but depending on what sets Joeger is going to run, Doncic may not fit. But what would be a very good fit under most offense is a sharp shooter or athletic interior finisher to pair with your two facilitating guards. In that universe, Doncic is out. Don't get me wrong, Doncic can shoot but being a cold assassin is not his forte.

At this point, if I have to guess, I'm guessing it's really is down to either MPJ or Bagley as rumored. I had Bagley ranked slightly above Doncic but I always thought Doncic would be a very good fit here for an offensively creative coach.
Wait... Porter Jr was 3 for 10 in his truncated college career, Bagley was 23 for 58 in 33 games for Duke and Luka Doncic just knocked down two threes (with an international line that is 1 1/2 feet further away than in the NCAA) in an ACB Finals game against professional competition and he's out for you because he's not an assassin like those two? I'm really not buying that argument.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

There's also no guarantee that it can't. Joerger had a tough hand to play last year. This year will be different. If you watched many games last season, I think you could see that Joerger wanted the team to run more, to pass more, etc. but it just didn't come together too often. When it did, it was magical - and with Doncic in the lineup we're talking first tier David Copperfield magic not guy on the corner with a deck of cards magic.

Wait... Porter Jr was 3 for 10 in his truncated college career, Bagley was 23 for 58 in 33 games for Duke and Luka Doncic, who just knocked down two threes (with an international line that is 1 1/2 feet further away than in the NCAA) in the ACB Finals against professional competition and he's out for you because he's not an assassin like those two? I'm really not buying that argument.

Peja and Divac reportedly marveled at MPJ's shooting ability at the workout. I am not a MPJ fan so I am not going to vouch for him but the small sample size is too small to say definitively.

Bagley obviously would not be a three point threat but he is a top notch finisher around the rim.

I suppose one can try to make Doncic wait in the corner and plays like Glenn Rice Sr, but that's not his game and he won't be happy.

There's also no guarantee that it can't. Joerger had a tough hand to play last year. This year will be different. If you watched many games last season, I think you could see that Joerger wanted the team to run more, to pass more, etc. but it just didn't come together too often. When it did, it was magical - and with Doncic in the lineup we're talking first tier David Copperfield magic not guy on the corner with a deck of cards magic.
You don't have to tell me that.

I don't want MPJ. I wouldn't touch him with a 100 foot pole. But alas, I'm not the one going to make the call.

This post is all types of crazy

It also sounds like you would take Ben McClemore over Doncic lol

Entity

Hall of Famer
I'm not a Doncic fan boy but from one veteran KF resident to another... you've made your point.
i just want to be able to see what majority of kings fans see. I wouldn't call them fanboys because its like 80% of all kings fans everywhere. I would really like somebody to point me to the hype. I watched videos and a few games. I still don't see it. Its not like i see anybody that is a world better. its just some see the second coming with Luka. I want to be that hyped. I want to feel it. just don't

This post is all types of crazy

It also sounds like you would take Ben McClemore over Doncic lol
Who's McClenmore? ;)

I hated McLenmore in college and I don't like MPJ.

All I'm saying is, at this point I do believe the rumor that Doncic is out. That doesn't mean I don't like Doncic, did I make myself clear?

i just want to be able to see what majority of kings fans see. I wouldn't call them fanboys because its like 80% of all kings fans everywhere. I would really like somebody to point me to the hype. I watched videos and a few games. I still don't see it. Its not like i see anybody that is a world better. its just some see the second coming with Luka. I want to be that hyped. I want to feel it. just don't
In a nutshell, Doncic is the same age as all these young one and done players. His numbers per36 are 21 points, 6reb, 7.5ast. Better than many of the per40 numbers of the top lottery prospects in this draft.

Doncic plays in a more talent filled league than the NCAA. The difference is that the best NCAA players are better than the best Euroleague players but there are only a handful of them. Basically the first round or so picks in the draft. The rest of the league is on a higher level than your average NCAA team minus a player or two. Doncic would more than likely have equal or better numbers if he played in the NCAA.

Most of us don't see the second coming but we can see the best player on the Kings in there. As noted in the video above, he has an elite ability to stop on a dime and change direction. He doesn't have elite quickness like Fox but he has an elusiveness to him that not many players have. Add the fact that he has elite passing vision, a solid rebounding ability and what should be a good shot and you have yourself a real nice player. Basically Bogie on steroids in about 3-4 years. He should by all accounts come into the league and have a rookie year close to what Bogie had at the very least and then it should be up from there.

Who's McClenmore? ;)

I hated McLenmore in college and I don't like MPJ.

All I'm saying is, at this point I do believe the rumor that Doncic is out. That doesn't mean I don't like Doncic, did I make myself clear?
Haha Ben is so irrelevant I can’t even bother to spell his name right. But back to porter, he strikes me as the type of guy who’d bolt the first opportunity he gets. Not to mention there are already too many red flags as it is with him.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
You want to see the hype? Then read the 1,737 posts in this thread. You want to feel the excitement? There's nothing any of us can do to give you that. You either have it or you don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.