Luka Doncic (pre and post-draft discussion thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
MOD NOTE: I moved one post for both Ayton and Doncic into new threads, since I'm pretty sure they're what we're gonna be talking about for the next month+.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Didnt read the report above but someone tweeted out that Doncic has a bit of leverage in that if he didnt want to go to the Suns, he could tell them he won't sign and force their hand.......that is if he wants to be with Sac and Bogie and Vlade.

Suns can't afford that situation....not the Kings.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
The Kings are sitting pretty. Either player is going to slot right into the lineup or if they love someone else they could pull a Boston/Tatum type move. Luka puts a little more pressure on Giles to be a stud but Ayton means we need to ship out some of our young talent to bring in a proven SF. Either way, if Giles is the real deal we should have 4 high potential guys in the starting lineup on their first contracts and at a young age with a stable coaching situation. Exciting time to be a Kings fan.

Full Game:
Luka Doncic VS Bogdan Bogdanovic (aka Slovenia vs Serbia, aka Euro Final)

Kings' starting SG vs potential Kings' starting SF.
Both players in the starting lineup.

Didnt read the report above but someone tweeted out that Doncic has a bit of leverage in that if he didnt want to go to the Suns, he could tell them he won't sign and force their hand.......that is if he wants to be with Sac and Bogie and Vlade.

Suns can't afford that situation....not the Kings.
Doncic old coach is the Suns head coach now and the Kings have Vlade and Bogdan.

I don't think Luka would have a problem with either team. :);)

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
If this is some sort of attempt at saying Luka is the next Gallinari, please stop. They're completely different as players.
I'm not trying to say anything, I don't have an opinion of the player yet. I'm just processing is all and looking for intelligent feedback. I just started researching the guy last night and kept reading how his stats were amazing for his age. Then I saw them put next to Gallinaris and they were really close. That gave me pause.

Luka could still be growing right? Same with Ayton im sure.
Luka has a strong body and not the greatest "wiggle." Im wondering would he fare better gaurding the 4s of today versus 3s?

If this is some sort of attempt at saying Luka is the next Gallinari, please stop. They're completely different as players.
Gallinari averaging more assists and less turnovers in Europe than Rubio and Doncic is surprising to me. Wonder what happened to that part of his game or why it didn't translate?

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Gallinari averaging more assists and less turnovers in Europe than Rubio and Doncic is surprising to me. Wonder what happened to that part of his game or why it didn't translate?
Being immediately thrust into D'Antoni's guard centric system and then subsequently being traded into George Karl's PG-dominant system probably didn't help things. You don't have as many chances to develop as a playmaker when your coach is trying to turn Chris Duhon into the next Steve Nash.

The main difference between Doncic and Gallinari is this: Gallinari is a SG in a PF's body (especially now that injuries have sapped a lot of his athleticism) and Doncic is James Harden in a SF's body. Gallinari is probably a better scorer than Doncic will be but as a playmaker Doncic is miles ahead of him, think Milos Teodosic-level passing. Doncic, for what it's worth, will probably be a better defender at the next level as well.

Doncic old coach is the Suns head coach now and the Kings have Vlade and Bogdan.

I don't think Luka would have a problem with either team. :);)
Luca is currently a marketable player in a 6.8M town. His agent wants him to go to a large market. With the Rookie salary cap we are limited what we can pay him.

It’s not a certainty he comes over.

Luca is currently a marketable player in a 6.8M town. His agent wants him to go to a large market. With the Rookie salary cap we are limited what we can pay him.

It’s not a certainty he comes over.
I haven't heard any rumblings about him not coming over or trying to pull a power play on where he goes.

If that were truly the case, then I would pass and take Bagley at #2.

With Vlade's Euro connections, I'm sure Vlade has a good read on if he plans on playing for the Kings, if we draft him.

If there is any problem, I wouldn't have an issue with us taking Bagley #2.

I haven't heard any rumblings about him not coming over or trying to pull a power play on where he goes.

With Vlade's Euro connections, I'm sure Vlade has a good read on if he plans on playing for the Kings, if we draft him.

I think we might anyway. Doncic #2 shouldn't be a foregone conclusion.

Kings PR person laying the groundwork in case Luca doesn’t want to come to Sac.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.sacb...amento-kings/kings-blog/article211249164.html

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Last edited:
Assists and Rebounds stats are inverted.
Gallinari averaged 4.2 REBOUNDS and 1.7 ASSISTS.
He was also one year older than Doncic is right now.
Finally someone pointed this out. It was very frustrating reading the above. People forming their own opinions on the spot by misreading information.

Status
Not open for further replies.