Looking forward to how Joerger will play WCS

These are some of the offensive sets that we will see next season I would expect quite a lot of action with Cousins at the elbow.

I think Joerger meister might utilize WCS in that Gasol high elbow fashion. The rook showed an uncanny ability to play at the NBA speed as well as see the floor and crash from any spot 18 feet out. With his ability to get from rim to rim in such a quick fashion (Gazelle) I would imagine Joergs smart mind would have Cousins in the post up Randolph bruiser spot and WCS as his Gasol operating from the hogh post and utilizing his game changing speed and agility to make plays happen in the open court.

Picture, you have a bruising low post presence and a lanky, fly all over and make plays happen presence. Only an idiot (looking at you George Karl) would stubbornly fail to adapt and utilize that strength.

Unless of course you planned to use the "lack of Cousins style fit in todays NBA" as your exit interview way of saying how you 'were right and Aileen Dover and Puked was backing you up' as your strategy for staying on as coach.

And for the record. The Kings just hired a young, smart basketball mind who CHOSE TO COME TO SACRAMENTO ON THE FIRST THING SMOKING. So, your loyal all star wants to be here. You brought in one of the NBAs globally proclaimed ambassadors who also, wants to be here (Vlade, pronounced like 'Blade' for you youngins'). You have on board one of the best to ever come across the pond to play (Peja), on board, who (say it with me now) wants to be here. An owner (mistakes made and learned from) who bought the team to keep it here because (wow, narrative) wants tl be here. Players who signed to come in because of the 'acting GM' and that all things considered (Casspi, Koufous, Bellineli) want to be here. And yet some of you still try to find a way to get rid of the talent that WANTS TO BE HERE. HERE. Small market here. Not LA, here. Fyi, the Lakers are chomping at the bit to take Cousins from our previously disfunctional selves so they can usher in their new era. Get it? New Era.

Thankfully, Vlade seems commited to figuring out this mess Ze Gerbil handed him. Dont forget Water-Mullin and his crappy advice...

I personally still think Aileen Dover and Took A Dump And Called It An Article is smarting from us not taking Rubio but whatever.

Last edited:
These are some of the offensive sets that we will see next season I would expect quite a lot of action with Cousins at the elbow.
It's rumored that Joerger wanted to play faster and change the offense, but Gasol and Co. didn't want to. It'll be interesting to see what type of offense he brings.

I think Joerger meister might utilize WCS in that Gasol high elbow fashion. The rook showed an uncanny ability to play at the NBA speed as well as see the floor and crash from any spot 18 feet out. With his ability to get from rim to rim in such a quick fashion (Gazelle) I would imagine Joergs smart mind would have Cousins in the post up Randolph bruiser spot and WCS as his Gasol operating from the hogh post and utilizing his game changing speed and agility to make plays happen in the open court.

Picture, you have a bruising low post presence and a lanky, fly all over and make plays happen presence. Only an idiot (looking at you George Karl) would stubbornly fail to adapt and utilize that strength.

Unless of course you planned to use the "lack of Cousins style fit in todays NBA" as your exit interview way of saying how you 'were right and Aileen Dover and Puked was backing you up' as your strategy for staying on as coach.

And for the record. The Kings just hired a young, smart basketball mind who CHOSE TO COME TO SACRAMENTO ON THE FIRST THING SMOKING. So, your loyal all star wants to be here. You brought in one of the NBAs globally proclaimed ambassadors who also, wants to be here (Vlade, pronounced like 'Blade' for you youngins'). You have on board one of the best to ever come across the pond to play (Peja), on board, who (say it with me now) wants to be here. An owner (mistakes made and learned from) who bought the team to keep it here because (wow, narrative) wants tl be here. Players who signed to come in because of the 'acting GM' and that all things considered (Casspi, Koufous, Bellineli) want to be here. And yet some of you still try to find a way to get rid of the talent that WANTS TO BE HERE. HERE. Small market here. Not LA, here. Fyi, the Lakers are chomping at the bit to take Cousins from our previously disfunctional selves so they can usher in their new era. Get it? New Era.

Thankfully, Vlade seems commited to figuring out this mess Ze Gerbil handed him. Dont forget Water-Mullin and his crappy advice...

I personally still think Aileen Dover and Took A Dump And Called It An Article is smarting from us not taking Rubio but whatever.
WCS in the high post doesn't make much sense to me. at all He's not a good passer, nor is he a threat from more than 5ft out. High-low post game wouldn't work with Cousins-WCS. I just can't see it... it's not a knock to WCS, but he's so limited on offense that I just don't see it working.

It's rumored that Joerger wanted to play faster and change the offense, but Gasol and Co. didn't want to. It'll be interesting to see what type of offense he brings.

WCS in the high post doesn't make much sense to me. at all He's not a good passer, nor is he a threat from more than 5ft out. High-low post game wouldn't work with Cousins-WCS. I just can't see it... it's not a knock to WCS, but he's so limited on offense that I just don't see it working.
We have not seen much offense from WCS but we have seen some. He has good form on his shot, has shown a sweet little jump hook shot and from the high post is only a couple large steps from the hoop.

Glenn

Hall of Famer

I think "fast" to the present team may seem relaxing. This could work out fine. They just have to be ready to work their butts off. I don't know about WCS. I have to assume he has something in mind.

We have not seen much offense from WCS but we have seen some. He has good form on his shot, has shown a sweet little jump hook shot and from the high post is only a couple large steps from the hoop.
Oh I agree he has shown flashes, but so far we can't be sure, if he can bring it on offense consistently. Ben has shown flashes too during his first year.
Building an offense around a player, that hasn't established himself in the league yet is risky but possible, but it's not predictable for us fans, because we don't know any training footage.

Putting aside the fact he's a great coach and can look forward to every facet of this team being better, the one thing I ESPECIALLY looking forward to is his work with WCS on offense. Willie was extremely raw offensively coming out of college and during the latter part of the season, he started showing offensive skill I truly didn't think he'd be able was capable of during his rookie campaign...a real smoothness and well-rounded offensive game. He wasn't just the alley oop, but a guy making nice low posts moves leading to a really natural looking half hook or showing a nice, confident looking mid-range pop. The consensus when he was drafted was his ceiling being a great roleplayer with elite defense. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. But I think the guy has some serious potential to become a factor offensively.

And then I think about an already great defender in WCS who goes from Karl defense to Joerger defense then a Boogie who is lazy on D to a Boogie who is motivated/great on D, and these Hilfiger boxer briefs become tarnished

Willie is not a great defender yet, he's still mostly potential: has excellent physical tools, good defensive instincts, but makes quite a few mistakes, including over-reliance on his athleticism.
Willie has a chance to become a revolutionary defender in today's game. His size, length, athleticism, quickness, foot speed and mobility allows him to defend smaller perimeter players. His ability to switch on to essentially any type of player makes him a potentially invaluable talent.

Obviously he has a lot of learning and growing to do, but the roots are there. It took Steph Curry 4-5 years to become the elite offensive player we see now. I certainly don't expect Willie to be DPOY material next season, but he certainly has the ability to become that kind of player as he continues to study the nuances of the game and each team -- all with a coach that likely has a much better idea of how to use him.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Willie has a chance to become a revolutionary defender in today's game. His size, length, athleticism, quickness, foot speed and mobility allows him to defend smaller perimeter players. His ability to switch on to essentially any type of player makes him a potentially invaluable talent.

Obviously he has a lot of learning and growing to do, but the roots are there. It took Steph Curry 4-5 years to become the elite offensive player we see now. I certainly don't expect Willie to be DPOY material next season, but he certainly has the ability to become that kind of player as he continues to study the nuances of the game and each team -- all with a coach that likely has a much better idea of how to use him.
I particularly like when WCS trails a player by a foot or two perhaps giving the impression that he has been beaten. When the smaller guy goes to the rim, WCS springs and swats the ball away. People underestimate his straight away speed. All of his physical assets combine together to leave the possibility of a spectacular defensive player. I am also looking forward to his offensive game and see how it evolves. He has the mechanics but not the repetitions.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I expect Trill to put in lots of work in the off season on two primary things; boxing out on rebounds & working endlessly on mid range jump shots. I have faith he will put it together under Joerger and he will put him into positions where he can succeed.

While I agree with all of this, it gives me flashbacks to "Matchup Nightmare" Billy Owens.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Trill + Cuz + Joerger.......

If all goes well (for once) we could have one of the scariest frontcourts in the league..... If not THE scariest.

I'm definitely looking forward to how Joerger users Trill.

Heck, after Karl poo'd all over our last season I'm excited to see how Joerger uses EVERYBODY. I wouldn't be surprised to see Belli have a bounce back year. Heck, even Ben might get back on track as that serviceable two way SG he showed flashes of becoming under Malone.

..... Goodness Karl was awful. I feel like every optimistic thread makes me think back on what a horrible waste last season was.

Anyways, Trill! Sorry to kinda derail. :p

I'm with you in this. The thing that excites me the most with Joerger is the prospect that Willie will have his break out year already next season. I'm sincerely a big believer in it. The other player that will benefit greatly is Ben. His coming has been on hold for a while, but now it is a real possibility. With Willie , Ben, Collison and Casspi, the Kings can do a lot of damage from fast breaks. They can all really produce some speed when guided to do so.

I'm with you in this. The thing that excites me the most with Joerger is the prospect that Willie will have his break out year already next season. I'm sincerely a big believer in it. The other player that will benefit greatly is Ben. His coming has been on hold for a while, but now it is a real possibility. With Willie , Ben, Collison and Casspi, the Kings can do a lot of damage from fast breaks. They can all really produce some speed when guided to do so.
I'm bracing myself for a WCS breakout. So much untapped defensive potential we have with him. He had a lot of rookie mistakes under Karl's badword defense, and he still looked good. Imagine how he'll look under Joegs....

I hope the true is said for Ben on defense too. Malone was able to tap into Ben's defensive potential. I don't know who's the better defensive coach, but I think he could help Ben develop on his defense. Not sure if he'll get the PT though. Joegs wasn't a big fan at playing younger players in Memphis. To be fair to him, 99% of his roster was over 50.

I'm bracing myself for a WCS breakout. So much untapped defensive potential we have with him. He had a lot of rookie mistakes under Karl's badword defense, and he still looked good. Imagine how he'll look under Joegs....

I hope the true is said for Ben on defense too. Malone was able to tap into Ben's defensive potential. I don't know who's the better defensive coach, but I think he could help Ben develop on his defense. Not sure if he'll get the PT though. Joegs wasn't a big fan at playing younger players in Memphis. To be fair to him, 99% of his roster was over 50.
I used to think that McLemore was pretty much just Kent Bazemore, but with a lower IQ. After watching Bazemore in the playoffs, it's obvious that he just has that aggressive "it" factor that Ben lacks. And we're talking about Bazemore here, we aren't even talking about a premier SG. Kent is constantly crashing the boards and aggressively trying to go after what it is that he wants. Whether it's steals, blocks, rebounds or open shots, he's always looking like he's after it.

Ben just kind of hangs around and waits for things to come to him. Has no feel for the game at all. He still plays like a rookie and we just finished up year 3. He might play better under Joerger but I just don't think it's going to be enough if we're planning on seeing these guys in the playoffs anytime soon. I hope I'm wrong but I just don't see it in him to go on to do much better than he's already shown.

bajaden

Hall of Famer

Your doing something here that I don't like. Your taking your image of WCS, and trying to make it fact. You have no real idea of what WCS is truely capable of yet. And neither do I. He didn't take his 15 foot jumper very often last year, but he shot it well when he did. I he hadn't had that one game where everyone kept encouraging him to shoot every time he touched the ball, his overall jumpshot percentage would have been around 50%. Players develop and improve. Willie is a hard worker, and he's probably working hard as I write this.

Try and keep an open mind when it comes to young players. You say he's not a good passer. Based on what? How often did he actually have the opportunity to make a meaningful pass, and when he did, was he successful? Look, I'm not saying he's going to be a great passer, but I'm not about to say he won't. I simply don't know. What I do know, is that he seldom turned the ball over, and when he did, it usually wasn't because of trying to pass the ball. What Willie is capable of, or not, is a conversation we should have a couple of years from now.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I used to think that McLemore was pretty much just Kent Bazemore, but with a lower IQ. After watching Bazemore in the playoffs, it's obvious that he just has that aggressive "it" factor that Ben lacks. And we're talking about Bazemore here, we aren't even talking about a premier SG. Kent is constantly crashing the boards and aggressively trying to go after what it is that he wants. Whether it's steals, blocks, rebounds or open shots, he's always looking like he's after it.

Ben just kind of hangs around and waits for things to come to him. Has no feel for the game at all. He still plays like a rookie and we just finished up year 3. He might play better under Joerger but I just don't think it's going to be enough if we're planning on seeing these guys in the playoffs anytime soon. I hope I'm wrong but I just don't see it in him to go on to do much better than he's already shown.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Ben comes with a full tool box, he just doesn't know which tool to pull out at the right time. It has to be instinctive, and that's what Ben lacks. I like Ben, and to be fair, he has gotten better, and who knows, maybe in another couple of years, he'll be what we expected. Or, maybe not. It's possible that what you see is what you get, which isn't terrible, but it's not starting guard material. I don't think the game comes naturally for him.

bajaden

Hall of Famer

It's hard to say whether Joerger is reluctant to play younger players or not. When you look at the Memphis roster, it was loaded with veteran players at every position, so it would have been hard for Joerger to justify playing a young player over a veteran. Once he had to play inexperienced players last season due to injuries, he did a damm good job.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I suspect Ben will not be here if Vlade is able to make a deal...in fact both he and Marco could be dealt. The need for a new SG rotation is fairly strong and although Marco could bounce back by Joerger playing him correctly, but he's not a defensive guy and that may mean he has to move. Ben does not have a full toolbox and Baja you just explained why. Hoops IQ has to be part of that equation, aggressiveness, ability to dribble. The kid has improved but this team needs more and quite frankly, Curry looked better than Ben in all aspects of the game.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Your doing something here that I don't like. Your taking your image of WCS, and trying to make it fact. You have no real idea of what WCS is truely capable of yet. And neither do I. He didn't take his 15 foot jumper very often last year, but he shot it well when he did. I he hadn't had that one game where everyone kept encouraging him to shoot every time he touched the ball, his overall jumpshot percentage would have been around 50%. Players develop and improve. Willie is a hard worker, and he's probably working hard as I write this.

Try and keep an open mind when it comes to young players. You say he's not a good passer. Based on what? How often did he actually have the opportunity to make a meaningful pass, and when he did, was he successful? Look, I'm not saying he's going to be a great passer, but I'm not about to say he won't. I simply don't know. What I do know, is that he seldom turned the ball over, and when he did, it usually wasn't because of trying to pass the ball. What Willie is capable of, or not, is a conversation we should have a couple of years from now.
We don't know what his ceiling is on almost any basketball skill as he was not asked/allowed to use anything in college. I remember in Boogie's first years where he was very prone to TOs because of bad passes. My argument, right or wrong, was that he should keep up the passes as that was the only way he could find his limit. Willie has several times said he will work on his offense and I get the very distinct impression when he says what he is going to do, he backs it up with action. I think he has good mechanics on most everything he does. I try not to get too excited about him but when I watch what he can do NOW offensively. I wonder what his ceiling is. It could be very, very high.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
We have a limited vocabulary also. It's why we are a big, happy family.
We have the greatest ideas for how to fix the Kings. The greatest. We know what's wrong. We can fix it. I promise you. We will make the Kings great again. Other sites claim to know. They don't know. They don't know.
You want to know how we'll fix the Kings? I'll tell you how. Vivek will surround himself with the best people. The best.

Right he's basically in "chill mode" all game

We have the greatest ideas for how to fix the Kings. The greatest. We know what's wrong. We can fix it. I promise you. We will make the Kings great again. Other sites claim to know. They don't know. They don't know.
You want to know how we'll fix the Kings? I'll tell you how. Vivek will surround himself with the best people. The best.
And it's not that difficult to fix this team, just need to sign a 2 guard, and figure out our pg situation and we will be a solid team