Let's Get Another Pick - Either this year or 2019

I was so locked into the Kings picking at #8 that I'm convinced there is another good player to be had in the top 10. Whether we first select Ayton, Doncic or Bagley we will have overtaken the talent level of anyone currently on the roster. I don't want to name names, but I would package anyone not named Giles, or Fox and our 2nd round in exchange for another top 10 pick or a decent one in 2019. I love Bogdanovich but he's certainly less essential if we commit to Doncic.

What if we did a 3 team deal with Orlando and Cleveland and picked up the #6 and #8? Trae Young and Bamba? This is off the top of my head so I have no idea who those teams would trade.

Nah! We need another pick like we need a punch to the face. How young do you want us to be?

We had something like 10 players on our roster that had 2 or less years of NBA experience at the start of the year. I would be tempted to draft and stash a player with the 2nd round pick to add down the track.

We need quality, not quantity.

Nah! We need another pick like we need a punch to the face. How young do you want us to be?

We had something like 10 players on our roster that had 2 or less years of NBA experience at the start of the year. I would be tempted to draft and stash a player with the 2nd round pick to add down the track.

We need quality, not quantity.
So then please tell us a better way to acquire a quality player because they don't come here through free agency and we don't have the trade assets to trade for one. This team has to be built through the draft. The Sixers didn't just stop acquiring lottery picks when they drafted Jahlil Okafor. Boston didn't stop when they got Jaylen Brown. Doesn't matter how young the team is. You don't just up and stop looking for young talent because you have young guys on the team. I'm not going to pass up chances at good prospects because I have Justin Jackson or Frank Mason on my team.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Most NBA players take at least 2 years to develop. At some point in the process of acquiring young talent you have to be able to assess them which is difficult to do when all you do is keep bringing in more young talent; or worse yet trading young players for pics which is an investment strategy akin to day trading. With all of the young guys on the roster right now the team needs to be assessing talent, cutting losses and doubling down on investments that seem to be paying off. I think that's what we saw at the end of last season when Papa G. and Malachi were sent out. If someone wants to make the argument that Vlade needs to make a deal at some point this season that results in a pick for next year I'm okay with that. But, we are now facing what is essentially a roster clog, and a slate of young talent in their first contract; so bringing in another pick in this season's nuts. I suspect that for the first time in years our second round pick is going to have a very difficult time making roster.

Last edited:

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I'm all or acquiring another draft pick but not at the expense of trading number two....it never hurts to have draft picks stashed away because those are valuable trade assets should the Kings decide to trade for a star player. However, if the opportunity doesn't arise, they are stacked with young players right now who need a couple of seasons to show us if they are capable starters/stars or neither and ship them out accordingly.

I'm all or acquiring another draft pick but not at the expense of trading number two....it never hurts to have draft picks stashed away because those are valuable trade assets should the Kings decide to trade for a star player. However, if the opportunity doesn't arise, they are stacked with young players right now who need a couple of seasons to show us if they are capable starters/stars or neither and ship them out accordingly.
I'd like to see us throw out cap space and WCS to other teams and see what they would offer.

I guess my point is I'm starting to worry that these young guys are better than the ones we have. Carter, Porter, Bridges.
If it helps calm you down, recall that that tends to be the feeling almost every draft, yet the likes of Ball, Fox tend to end up duds in their rookie years.

More than likely, a lot of these guys will end up looking bad their rookie season and this time next year you'd be looking to replace them with new unknowns yet again

I like this idea. Lemme also just say the 2020 draft projects to be way stronger than 2019, i'dd consider trading for a pick there, it might make more sense..

If it helps calm you down, recall that that tends to be the feeling almost every draft, yet the likes of Ball, Fox tend to end up duds in their rookie years.

More than likely, a lot of these guys will end up looking bad their rookie season and this time next year you'd be looking to replace them with new unknowns yet again
Agreed. They all seem so intriguing when they're shiny and new but over half of them usually turn out to be duds.

Although I'm always on the bandwagon of acquiring more picks because you never know what's going to stick. Especially when your team is unable to land any marquee free agents. I'll never understand the people who act like we don't need to be attempting to acquire young talent for reasons such as we have too many young guys or the forum gets annoying or because tanking is an irritating process. You go through with it until you've built a talented team. It would be like the Sixers ending their rebuild with Okafor, Saric and Michael Carter Williams and trying to run with it. The whole thing is a fail without Simmons and Embiid. I don't see a Simmons and Embiid on this team so the process needs to continue until there is.

Agreed. They all seem so intriguing when they're shiny and new but over half of them usually turn out to be duds.

Although I'm always on the bandwagon of acquiring more picks because you never know what's going to stick. Especially when your team is unable to land any marquee free agents. I'll never understand the people who act like we don't need to be attempting to acquire young talent for reasons such as we have too many young guys or the forum gets annoying or because tanking is an irritating process. You go through with it until you've built a talented team. It would be like the Sixers ending their rebuild with Okafor, Saric and Michael Carter Williams and trying to run with it. The whole thing is a fail without Simmons and Embiid. I don't see a Simmons and Embiid on this team so the process needs to continue until there is.
I think people really don't understand this when a few of us keep bashing the hell out of us losing the 2019 pick. For us, losing a year of the pipeline is absolutely enormous. As you said, we don't have the luxury of FA to bolster our team; we're always going to be near the bottom of choices for players to come sign with.

Development should never be over with for any franchise. So yeah, while we do have a bunch of young prospects, we still aren't a good team and still don't really know who's going to be apart of a future winning core. That's why losing opportunities for players to "hit" as prospects is crippling for a franchise like ours.

I think people really don't understand this when a few of us keep bashing the hell out of us losing the 2019 pick. For us, losing a year of the pipeline is absolutely enormous. As you said, we don't have the luxury of FA to bolster our team; we're always going to be near the bottom of choices for players to come sign with.

Development should never be over with for any franchise. So yeah, while we do have a bunch of young prospects, we still aren't a good team and still don't really know who's going to be apart of a future winning core. That's why losing opportunities for players to "hit" as prospects is crippling for a franchise like ours.
Still to this very day there are people that are saying that the last thing we need are more high draft picks. Look at Boston, they won 53 games and finished 1st in the conference and they didn't stop rebuilding but some Kings fans seem to think that the rebuild is now complete and it's time to compete for the playoffs. We don't even know if we have a real 15ppg scorer on this team or that anyone other than WCS can even play a lick of defense, yet we want to stop rebuilding and just roll with what we've got plus a few scrap heap free agents? Losing strategy.

If the rumors of Denver attaching pick 14 to dim Faried, I would absolutely be interested in that deal. It is a good draft and having two lottery pick in a good draft would offset the loss of pick next year.

There are still some pretty good, high upside prospects on board at that stage.

If Kings get a big at #2 (e.g. Bagley), then we can look at a swingman with a big upside at #14 (Knox??). If we go with swing like Dončić or Porter Jr. at #2, then there should still be a big or a nice prospect regardless of position left at 14.

Knox is an interesting prospect. Great physical tool, one of the youngest draftees in the pool and some pretty big upside. Can swing in time between SF and PF. His build (not game) reminds me of Paul George.

If the rumors of Denver attaching pick 14 to dim Faried, I would absolutely be interested in that deal. It is a good draft and having two lottery pick in a good draft would offset the loss of pick next year.

If Kings get a big at #2 (e.g. Bagley), then we can look at a swingman with a big upside at #14 (Knox??). If we go with swing like Dončić or Porter Jr. at #2, then there should still be a big or a nice prospect regardless of position left at 14.

Knox is an interesting prospect. Great physical tool, one of the youngest draftees in the pool and some pretty big upside. Can swing in time between SF and PF. His build (not game) reminds me of Paul George.
Yes. We have no excuse to not be the front runner for this trade. I’d even be willing to take on Faried and Arthur if other teams are competing against us. Both those guys will be off the books next year and we aren’t going to be able to attract anyone valuable this year in free agency anyways.

I’d target Knox and Bridges here while taking Doncic at #2. We’d be two prospects deep at each position.

PG - Fox / Mason
SG - Bogdanovic / Hield
SF - Doncic / Jackson
PF - Labissiere / Knox
C - Giles / Cauley-Stein

Entity

Hall of Famer
if the suns take doncic. id like to trade Buddy and WCS for the 5th or 6th and take Porter jr.

fox/mason
Bogdan/shumpert
Porter/jackson
Giles/skal
Ayton/Kosta

if the suns take doncic. id like to trade Buddy and WCS for the 5th or 6th and take Porter jr.

fox/mason
Bogdan/shumpert
Porter/jackson
Giles/skal
Ayton/Kosta
I would as well, but I don't think it's realistic.

I was getting no's from opposing teams (on other forums) trying to trade Hield & Cauley-Stein for #10 & Bayless (bad contract). I doubt we would get a team that would trade us a more valuable pick without the bad contract for those two.

Entity

Hall of Famer

I was getting no's from opposing teams (on other forums) trying to trade Hield & Cauley-Stein for #10 & Bayless (bad contract). I doubt we would get a team that would trade us a more valuable pick without the bad contract for those two.
i thought maybe since both were top 10 picks it might be worth something. i like buddy i think he made strides last year as well as WCS. but Ayton and Porter i think would be a good get if we could somehow pull it off. Not sure if exchanging bogdan instead of buddy would make a difference in that scenerio. I wanted to keep Bog for his playmaking to suplement fox. just a thought it guess

i thought maybe since both were top 10 picks it might be worth something. i like buddy i think he made strides last year as well as WCS. but Ayton and Porter i think would be a good get if we could somehow pull it off. Not sure if exchanging bogdan instead of buddy would make a difference in that scenerio. I wanted to keep Bog for his playmaking to suplement fox. just a thought it guess
It'd have to be both Hield & Bogdan to have a shot. Cauley-Stein doesn't have a lot of value around the league (if we want to use fans on other forums as a barometer).

Entity

Hall of Famer
It'd have to be both Hield & Bogdan to have a shot. Cauley-Stein doesn't have a lot of value around the league (if we want to use fans on other forums as a barometer).
i wonder how bad memphis would want zbo back for his final year coupled with WCS and Hield for the 4th pick. would zbo be an asset or would make a negative impact on the deal? heck they could have our second rounder as well lol. heild, zbo, wcs and 2nd rounder for 4th pick

I just don't think Vlade is thinking next year. If we have another season under 35 wins then i doubt he or Jaegar make it to season. Time for this team to make a big jump. This is the most important off season of Vlade's GM career. The stars are aligning for him to sign a legit FA and an elite rookie talent at 2.

Thing is, i doubt there are many fans on other teams that are aware of Hields growth post all star break. WCS has also made improvements this year, but who is following the kings? Wouldnt be surprised that a GM sees things more in line with how we would value buddy and wcs

i wonder how bad memphis would want zbo back for his final year coupled with WCS and Hield for the 4th pick. would zbo be an asset or would make a negative impact on the deal? heck they could have our second rounder as well lol. heild, zbo, wcs and 2nd rounder for 4th pick
Go to a Grizzlies board and let them know you want to make this trade.

Then post the link back here so we can all read their replies.

If this is true, kings need tl be all over this deal. We would be competing with the Nets phx and atl too id assume as 1 year of Faried for the 14th os highly desirable if cap space is available. Maybe we could send back Jackson and or mason to sweeten the pot.

Memphis wants to at least dump Chandler Parsons. Also, they tanked hardvthis year for that pick, hard to see them selling it to get an overpaid zbo back who they didnt want to resign in the first place.

ATL Gets: Willie Cauley-Stein
ATL Gives: CLE '19 1st (Lottery Protected)
Why for ATL? Add a young athletic C to play alongside Collins going forward for a 1st rounder that could end up being pretty late if LeBron hangs around.

DEN Gets: #26
DEN Gives: #14 & Kenneth Faried
Why for DEN? They shed Faried's contract while also maintaining a pick in the first round.

PHI Gets: Nothing
PHI Gives: #26 & Jerryd Bayless
Why for PHI? Free up space to sign LeBron James (35% of the cap)

SAC Gets: #14, CLE '19 1st (Lottery Protected), Kenneth Faried, & Jerryd Bayless
SAC Gives: Willie Cauley-Stein
Why for SAC? Use our cap space to acquire another lottery pick this year and a first next year.

Still not enough. Randolph would likely have negative value to them otherwise they probably would have signed him back.

ATL Gets: Willie Cauley-Stein
ATL Gives: CLE '19 1st (Lottery Protected)
Why for ATL? Add a young athletic C to play alongside Collins going forward for a 1st rounder that could end up being pretty late if LeBron hangs around.

DEN Gets: #26
DEN Gives: #14 & Kenneth Faried
Why for DEN? They shed Faried's contract while also maintaining a pick in the first round.

PHI Gets: Nothing
PHI Gives: #26 & Jerryd Bayless
Why for PHI? Free up space to sign LeBron James (35% of the cap)

SAC Gets: #14, CLE '19 1st (Lottery Protected), Kenneth Faried, & Jerryd Bayless
SAC Gives: Willie Cauley-Stein
Why for SAC? Use our cap space to acquire another lottery pick this year and a first next year.
The "Whys" for ATL and PHI don't match up because if Lebron signs with PHI, then the pick ATL just traded is now a lottery pick.

This year coming up is the last year on Jerryd Bayless' contract. Maybe @Capt. Factorial can chime in here but how would Philly go about freeing up cap space to possibly sign Lebron? Philly can't make that trade without taking salary back in return so I don't know how they would be able to clear up cap space by getting rid of Bayless at this point. I feel like they would have had to make the move last year by trading Bayless and a pick for say Vince Carter. Their salaries are similar so the trade would have gone through and then Vince would have became a free agent this summer, thus clearing the cap space needed for them while we have Bayless on the books for another year. At this point, I'm not sure how they could go about it. Maybe you or Capt Fact know?

The "Whys" for ATL and PHI don't match up because if Lebron signs with PHI, then the pick ATL just traded is now a lottery pick.

This year coming up is the last year on Jerryd Bayless' contract. Maybe @Capt. Factorial can chime in here but how would Philly go about freeing up cap space to possibly sign Lebron? Philly can't make that trade without taking salary back in return so I don't know how they would be able to clear up cap space by getting rid of Bayless at this point. I feel like they would have had to make the move last year by trading Bayless and a pick for say Vince Carter. Their salaries are similar so the trade would have gone through and then Vince would have became a free agent this summer, thus clearing the cap space needed for them while we have Bayless on the books for another year. At this point, I'm not sure how they could go about it. Maybe you or Capt Fact know?
I would imagine the trade would have to be agreed to be consummated after the new salary cap begins. Philadelphia would have to receive something even if it's only a token. If any of the teams have the rights to a player that isn't coming over they could give the rights to that player to meet requirements. Philadelphia would also be receiving a huge trade exemption.