Let's fix the Cavaliers!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Watching tonight's game - before I switched off with some 4 minutes to go - I was struck by how pathetic the team is around LBJ. If he had just ONE player that could help carry the team, Golden State just might be standing there wondering what had hit them.

So I had the thought. Let's assume for hypothetical discussion that Lebron decides to stay in Cleveland. I know we've got some members here who love to think about rebuilding/reloading a team. So, you're the Cavaliers GM. What do you do to get a decent supporting cast around him?

Trade #1
CLE Gets: Paul George (opt in) & Carmelo Anthony
CLE Gives: Kevin Love, Kyle Korver, & Jordan Clarkson
Why for CLE? They make a move for a better 2nd star who is a better fit next to LeBron considering he is a high level defender, shooter, and scorer. LeBron might also be able to get through to his friend (Melo) about taking on a bench role to help the team.

OKC Gets: Kevin Love, Kyle Korver, & Jordan Clarkson
OKC Gives: Paul George (opt in) & Carmelo Anthony
Why for OKC? The get another star for a player who could very well leave in free agency while also unloading Anthony’s contract.

Trade #2
CLE Gets: Otto Porter
CLE Gives: 8th Overall Pick, Cedi Osman, JR Smith
Why for CLE? Cavs move a pick that may need time to develop to pick up a premier role player on the wing who can knock down 3s at a high rate and defend multiple positions.

WAS Gets: 8th Overall Pick, Cedi Osman, JR Smith
WAS Gives: Otto Porter
Why for WAS? The Wizards seem to have maxed out their potential with their current core. The move Porter to not only give them cap flexibility down the line but also obtain a valuable pick in the upcoming draft.

-------------------------

PG – Hill
SG – George / Hood
SF – LeBron / Anthony
PF – Porter / Nance
C – Thompson / Zizic

**It's important to note that this would be a hefty tax payer bill to pay but it gives the Cavs a great shot at winning the title with good defenders at each position. Two great scoring options in the starting lineup (LeBron & George) with a solid 3rd and 4th option (Porter & Hill). Off the bench, I think Anthony could have some value as he could help carry the load when LeBron & George take a break. Hood gives them another scoring threat and shooter off the bench as well.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
give James one more all-star player and he can give the Dubs fits...either that or just watch him go join Houston for two years

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
In all seriousness , it's going to be tough for the Cavs. If Lebron stays they are way more than capped out. They gambled on that Nets pick and it's right outside of the prime target zone. They should have considered moving that pick and went all in this year but now the value of that pick is considerably less than prior to the season and they don't have a lot of movable salaries. Their best bet is to hope someone falls way far down I guess but even if they do that probably speaks to the value of that player on draft night. It's tough, they looked at the pick as being the in case Bron leaves plan and if he does they are stuck with a team probably too good to be terrible and not terrible enough to get where they want unless they get more unreal draft luck. They should gauge the interest in Love but in the end you're probably looking at a lateral move or even a downgrade. IT not being 100% really screwed them bad. Do they even get a full MLE this year? I'm not sure that they do. In the end the best bet for them is to probably look at lesser talent to match up better with the W's. The bad thing is they did that with the moves this summer and as a result they didn't match up with anyone else.

The obvious idea would be something like Love and the 8th for Kawhi and but obviously that only happens if the Spurs are done with Leonard. Also I think that might be a bit more than Leonard is worth TBH.

Sign and trades are dicey because they probably won't be helping their team much in the end. Would OKC go for a PG for KLove swap? Does that make the Cavs better in the end? Is OKC interested in Love?

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Trade #1
CLE Gets: Paul George (opt in) & Carmelo Anthony
CLE Gives: Kevin Love, Kyle Korver, & Jordan Clarkson
Why for CLE? They make a move for a better 2nd star who is a better fit next to LeBron considering he is a high level defender, shooter, and scorer. LeBron might also be able to get through to his friend (Melo) about taking on a bench role to help the team.

OKC Gets: Kevin Love, Kyle Korver, & Jordan Clarkson
OKC Gives: Paul George (opt in) & Carmelo Anthony
Why for OKC? The get another star for a player who could very well leave in free agency while also unloading Anthony’s contract.

Trade #2
CLE Gets: Otto Porter
CLE Gives: 8th Overall Pick, Cedi Osman, JR Smith
Why for CLE? Cavs move a pick that may need time to develop to pick up a premier role player on the wing who can knock down 3s at a high rate and defend multiple positions.

WAS Gets: 8th Overall Pick, Cedi Osman, JR Smith
WAS Gives: Otto Porter
Why for WAS? The Wizards seem to have maxed out their potential with their current core. The move Porter to not only give them cap flexibility down the line but also obtain a valuable pick in the upcoming draft.

-------------------------

PG – Hill
SG – George / Hood
SF – LeBron / Anthony
PF – Porter / Nance
C – Thompson / Zizic

**It's important to note that this would be a hefty tax payer bill to pay but it gives the Cavs a great shot at winning the title with good defenders at each position. Two great scoring options in the starting lineup (LeBron & George) with a solid 3rd and 4th option (Porter & Hill). Off the bench, I think Anthony could have some value as he could help carry the load when LeBron & George take a break. Hood gives them another scoring threat and shooter off the bench as well.

That 2nd deal is the reality the Cavs might be looking at. Settling for a solid player who isn't worth his contract while having to way overpay to get it done. The first trade obviously also depends on multiple scenarios but I think that's an interesting idea. It would depend on whether the Thunder are done trying to match up in the west I guess.

Last edited:

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Cleveland trades:
--------------------------
Kevin Love
JR Smith
Jordan Clarkson
Cedi Osman
8th pick

Detroit trades:
Blake Griffin
Andre Drummond
42nd pick

A bitter pill to swallow but I can't see the Pistons doing it for less. And then the Cavs have to get creative with their minimums signings. I think it's also necessary to shell out the $$$ and pick up a 1st rounder or a 2nd rounder and target a guard that can help you now. Shake Milton would be a good target. Grayson Allen too if he doesn't jump way up the board like he probably will.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
...The obvious idea would be something like Love and the 8th for Kawhi and but obviously that only happens if the Spurs are done with Leonard. Also I think that might be a bit more than Leonard is worth TBH.

Sign and trades are dicey because they probably won't be helping their team much in the end. Would OKC go for a PG for KLove swap? Does that make the Cavs better in the end? Is OKC interested in Love?
I like that idea. I personally believe Leonard would thrive playing next to Lebron. It still leaves a desperate need for a decent PG, however. I don't see Jordan Clarkson as being good enough going forward, but I am probably biased. Is he better than I'm giving him credit for?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Cleveland trades:
Kevin Love
JR Smith
Jordan Clarkson
Cedi Osman
8th pick

Detroit trades:
Blake Griffin
Andre Drummond
42nd pick

A bitter pill to swallow but I can't see the Pistons doing it for less. And then the Cavs have to get creative with their minimums signings. I think it's also necessary to shell out the $$$ and pick up a 1st rounder or a 2nd rounder and target a guard that can help you now. Shake Milton would be a good target. Grayson Allen too if he doesn't jump way up the board like he probably will.
My main problem with that scenario is Blake Griffin. I don't think he'd be a good fit.

James is such a dominant player, it makes it difficult to put together the supporting cast. Irving was the right kind of compliment for LBJ but hated playing in his shadow. I think the Cavs need a defensive stopper, better rebounding and more consistent shooting from the arc in order to get to the next level.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
My main problem with that scenario is Blake Griffin. I don't think he'd be a good fit.

And he's looking like he's fading hard lately. But, you know what they say about beggars and choosers. Kevin Love is the better player, but Griffin would give them more finishing ability at the rim and with LeBron and Drummond that could be an intriguing dunk fest answer to the finessing of the Warriors.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
And he's looking like he's fading hard lately. But, you know what they say about beggars and choosers. Kevin Love is the better player, but Griffin would give them more finishing ability at the rim and with LeBron and Drummond that could be an intriguing dunk fest answer to the finessing of the Warriors.
Yep, which is why I wouldn't even consider him. I honestly think Boogie would be the perfect "ride or die" for Lebron, but there are a lot of question marks, not to mention what getting DMC would do to their salary cap.