Let's Decide on THE Big.

Let's all decide on the big man that we should target.

Thats seems hard to do.

Also, do we keep Miller and trade Kenny/Shareef or keep Kenny/Shareef and trade Miller?

I'm for keeping Miller at the 5, but with a shot-blocking, rebounding 4. Ron and Brad are buddies, so let's have Brad stay to make Ron Happy.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Chandler doesn't impress me much. I thought he was better on defense than what i have seen. His offense is aweful. Actually the only thing he can do is rebound.

And block shots. He's been rebounding and blocking real well since late January.

I say keep Brad (offense, he and Ron)... but go after one of Eddie Griffin/Tony Battie/Melvin Ely/Dan Gadzuric. Don't know about landing Pryzbilla... he'd be the guy I want most though.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Chandler would be the guy who filled the most of these requirements:

-- big, as in big enough to swing to center too to help Brad with tough matchups
-- significant help defender/shotblocker
-- rebounder
-- athlete
-- young
-- doesn't need the ball
-- potentially acquirable

Gadzuric is the poorer version. Griffin the crazier version.

What we do NOT need or already have: scorers, undersized guys, poor rebounders, non-help defenders. You have to have a roleplayer in your lineup. Often more than one. Doug in the past. Big Ben for the Pistons. Bowen for the Spurs. Guys who do their work without needing the ball.

Just curious, how has Griffin been crazy past 2003? I must of missed something or that is what you're referring to...

Chandler would be great to get. Don't know if Chicago would give him up though.

Kings113 said:
Just curious, how has Griffin been crazy past 2003? I must of missed something or that is what you're referring to...

Chandler would be great to get. Don't know if Chicago would give him up though.
Chicago is saying that the need more size in their front-court.

Don't know how giving up Chandler helps.

Also let's say that the Kings somehow sign Joel.

Bibby
Martin
Artest
Brad
Pryz

God, that's a slow front-court.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Entity said:
Chandler doesn't impress me much. I thought he was better on defense than what i have seen. His offense is aweful. Actually the only thing he can do is rebound.
You say that like it's a bad thing... :confused:

Discounting the presumably unattainables (Camby, Brand, Wallace, Duncan, etc.) I would list the following, in semi-order of preference:
Chandler
Gadzuric
Pryzbilia
Griffin
Dalambert
Haywood
Perkins
Diop

But I really think it has to be one of the first 3 to make a real difference. And I think we could get one of them for SAR or KT.

Chandler is cool, but the guy is the most foul prone player in the league. Next to Brad he would last about 15 minutes a game, not worth 60 million.

Pryz is a guy I would love them to get, but lets get real here. Petrie went out and got Tag last year, somebody who is at least on par and does the same things all these guys do and he never saw any court time because he doesn't "fit" within the system.

If Rick Adelman is the coach, we need to be thinking about bigs who Rick would consider playing.

Melvin Ely/Battie/Haywood/Griffin (shot's been off this year, but that doesn't mean it's gone) then, in that case. All can play on both ends.

Last edited:
Adelman has also complained that his players aren't skilled defenders. While Tag's ties to the bench were frustrating last year, he did come in to camp out of shape and did get hurt, so I bet that affected his consistency. I'm sure Rick would play most of the guys I listed above, especially those toward the top.

Also a dark horse out there, IMO is Jason Collins. Yes, I'll admit the Stanford bias, but those who follow the Nets know that the guy is a very underrated interior defender, even if it doesn't show up in the box scores.

Kings113 said:
Melvin Ely/Battie/Griffin (shot's been off this year, but that doesn't mean it's gone) then, in that case. All can play on both ends.
Griffin's shot makes him an interesting call because Adelman would definitely play him. But it doesn't make sense to have both bigs (ostensibly Miller and Griffin) to be outside shooters. At some point, you have to stop worrying about the shooting and start worrying about the shotblocking.

FYI, Jamal Sampson currently leads the league in rebounds per 48 minutes (24.0) and is #4 in blocks per 48 (5.65).

With that kind of performance, he's just begging to be traded for a swingman.
~~

LPKingsFan said:
Adelman has also complained that his players aren't skilled defenders. While Tag's ties to the bench were frustrating last year, he did come in to camp out of shape and did get hurt, so I bet that affected his consistency. I'm sure Rick would play most of the guys I listed above, especially those toward the top.

Also a dark horse out there, IMO is Jason Collins. Yes, I'll admit the Stanford bias, but those who follow the Nets know that the guy is a very underrated interior defender, even if it doesn't show up in the box scores.
That is right about Ostertag.

He has played Shaq well recently, indeed.

Kings113 said:
Well, yeah. Griffin IS a good shot-blocker and rebounder. The reason why I mentioned his shot is because of the Adelman-point. Regardless, I think he'd be used like Kenny's been lately.
No, I completely agree. My point was more in argument in favor of Chandler, not against Griffin. He'd be a good second, and probably more easily attainable, choice.

(I messed up, lol)

LPKingsFan said:
Griffin's shot makes him an interesting call because Adelman would definitely play him. But it doesn't make sense to have both bigs (ostensibly Miller and Griffin) to be outside shooters. At some point, you have to stop worrying about the shooting and start worrying about the shotblocking.
Well, yeah. Griffin IS a good shot-blocker and rebounder. The reason why I mentioned his shot is because of the Adelman-point. Regardless, I think he'd be used like Kenny's been lately.

Bricklayer

SacTownKid said:
Griffin seems like the best choice to me. I can't see any reasons why he wouldn't get time here.
Not very bright basketballwise and a personality risk would be the negatives. HJe can shoot that three, but there is little structure ot his game.

Also not as big as the other guys. Undersized if you swing him to the 5. Has the skills we need, but just hasn't been able to figure the game out and make himself into a major player yet.

I saw the other day that the Blazers are in financial perils, and apparently their GM Nash basically said that they probably won't be able to bring back Joel Pryz. You know how the Kings always seem to sign the guys that destroy us everytime we play? God I hope it happens that way this summer.

Bricklayer

SacTownKid said:
I saw the other day that the Blazers are in financial perils, and apparently their GM Nash basically said that they probably won't be able to bring back Joel Pryz. You know how the Kings always seem to sign the guys that destroy us everytime we play? God I hope it happens that way this summer.
I have to put a ? over that entire discussion up there given who the owner is and how many $$ he's been willing to throw at that team in the past.

In any case Pryz would be a nice pickup, but the problem remains that he's a pure center rather than a 4 who can play 5. That means the only way he could play anything but just backup center (10-15) minutes would be with him at C and Brad at PF, which is just slow slow slow and had no ability to cover anybody wiht perimeter skills. Would love to have him, but its an imperfect solution at best.

I think a frontline of Joel and Brad would work just fine. Joel is more athletic than people give him credit for. And for matchup reasons we still would have Reef and/or Kenny, and Monia can play the PF position if he finds time here.

SacTownKid said:
I think a frontline of Joel and Brad would work just fine. Joel is more athletic than people give him credit for. And for matchup reasons we still would have Reef and/or Kenny, and Monia can play the PF position if he finds time here.
I don't agree. We would be destroyed by the big men with the mid-range game, Bosh, KG, Duncan (we would be destroyed by them anyway ;)) but and kind of scrub with a shot would kill us.

ForlornKing said:
I don't agree. We would be destroyed by the big men with the mid-range game, Bosh, KG, Duncan (we would be destroyed by them anyway ;)) but and kind of scrub with a shot would kill us.
Rather let those guys destroy us on the outside than let them destroy inside AND outside. ;)

Brad guarded those guys once upon a time, and the only guys that I can see destroying us on the perimeter are KG and Dirk. And Ron Artest usually gaurds Dirk.

Entity

Hall of Famer
who would we trade to get Chandler. Bolnzi? they have plenty of 2 guards. KT. not saying much for them wanting size. Ref i doubt it. we have to keep Ref or KT to come off the bench if i voted for a bench guy it would be Ref.

I personally like Griffin. As he can block shots and rebound. But as an addition he won't be a liability on offense because you can't leave him open by any means and as a bonus he really doesn't need the ball to be effective.

Kendrick Perkins is another guy that has caught my eye in the 2 games against boston.

Drew Gooden was being shopped around before the trade deadline he is also a good role player and seems to bring the same thing every night 10-15 points and 8-14 rebounds with around 1 blk and 1 steal a game. Bonzi s+t with a Gooden s+t would work our nicely or we could go after him as a FA but our cap situation would limit that.

i got it sign bonzi and trade him and KT to Cleveland for a signed Gooden and eric snow.

salaries would end up matching as Gooden would get a nice raise which he would want

send Hart with it

Bibby, snow, Garcia, price
Martin, snow, Garcia
Artest, Garcia, Martin, Monya
Gooden, Rahim, Monya, Corlis
Miller, Rahim, Potapenko, Sampson

Last edited: