Let the Truth Be Told: Underrated Offseason Moves

http://www.nba.com/preview2004/tnt_moves_041021.html

Let the Truth Be Told: Underrated Offseason Moves

If you want the truth about this upcoming NBA season, who better to "Let the Truth Be Told" than the esteemed analysts at TNT? We caught up with studio host Ernie Johnson, analysts Kenny Smith, Steve Kerr and Barkley and TNT's No. 1 play-by-play man, Marv Albert to get the skinny on 2004-05. From Shaq to 'Sheed, from LeBron to the unsung offseason acquisition, there isn't a topic from which the TNT guys shied away.

What was the most underrated offseason player acquisition?

Marv Albert, TNT play-by-play

"Brent Barry in San Antonio. I think Brent Barry was an excellent pickup because their problem was outside shooting. Last year, they missed our man Steve, but that would be the one.

"Stephen Jackson going to Indiana isn't bad either. The way he helped San Antonio that one year, you need a little of that schoolyard sometimes. Gregg Popovich was upset sometimes because he was out of control, but [the Spurs] had such a regimented team I think they were sorry they missed him when he left for Atlanta last year.

"That's a good move for Indiana, but I'd still give it to San Antonio with Brent Barry."

Charles Barkley, Inside the NBA analyst

"Ain't no moves under the radar, buddy. I'll tell you what: If Sacramento will trade Peja Stojakovic for Ron Artest, they could win the West. They need that defensive element. They need that. They don't need the offense. I would do that trade yesterday. That's a great trade for Sacramento. I don't know what they're holding up."

Ernie Johnson, Inside the NBA host

"Brent Barry is the one that was key. I think him going to San Antonio was huge. It's the perfect under-the-radar type of a deal.

"He doesn't grab your attention, but he fills such a great role there. He's been very effective as a 3-point shooter, but his teams haven't done much. I think you put him in with that blend in San Antonio, they're a great threat to go with what they already have."

Steve Kerr, TNT game analyst

"I think Stephen Jackson going to Indiana was really, really big because the Pacers -- a lot of people forget they had the best record in the NBA a year ago before losing to Detroit in six.

"They felt their weakness was perimeter scoring and athleticism at that two spot. Reggie is still a hell of a player, but he's not the guy he was five or six years ago. I played with Stephen Jackson a couple of years ago in San Antonio and he has the ability to hit big shots and make big plays. I think that may have been the move that could get Indiana over the hump this season."

Kenny Smith, Inside the NBA analyst

"There have been so many moves. I think San Antonio not making that many moves [is a good move]. Minnesota not making moves. These teams know what they're doing. Stability brings success in the NBA.

"No matter how many moves you make, it'll take three or four years to make it happen. Everyone says Detroit with Rasheed Wallace halfway through the season but that team was built three years ago. It was built over three or four years and all it took was that one small piece. Teams that made a lot of moves this year weren't missing one piece, they're still missing a lot of pieces."

Wow. I agree with pretty much everything here. I've gone back and forth on the Peja/Artest issue, and hearing about it from Sir Charles doesn't suprise nor anger me. I agree about Stephen Jackson and Brent Barry. I still wish the Kings could have netted one of them with the MLE, but what can you do...

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
piksi said:
When was the last time that Barkley wished Kings well ???

Exactly.
Of course I think if you read between the nearly incoherent lines of Barkley's rants much of his dislike for the Kings seems to revolve around a dislike of Vlade and/or Peja and/or maybe Adelman. Never figured out if it was a racial thing (its been noted his wife is white) an anti-Euro thing, ro what, but when he calls Sacto soft (as he always does) the subtext is always that Webb is great, Bobby is great, but the team is somehow soft. No surprise that his fix would be to trade Peja.

i thought the team WAS soft, if by soft you mean "lacking on defense." I never got a vibe from Sir Charles on not liking the Kings more than I got a vibe of him saying that they could be doing a lot better than they were. Which was true.

SacKings384 said:
Barkley had us losing to Dallas... Then he had us losing to the TWolves...
I remember him saying they've been through too many game sevens and the wolves haven't so he picked us last second. :-\
~kiss of death

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Ah, but that's the fiendish cleverness of Barkley. Does he really MEAN that comment? Or is he saying it so Kings fans will immediately assume it's a horrible idea and forget about it?

;)

piksi

Hall of Famer
ReinadelosReys said:
Hmmm....Boston beating the Yankees, Barkley-albiet conditonally-saying the Kings can win the West? Hell has indeed frozen over.
He did not mean it. He will keep pushing "his" spurs and wolves.

I just needed to chime in here with a story about my face to face with Charles Barkley over the summer. I don't post often, but when I do, I usually mention that my oldest daughter is in Iraq. Well, she was home for leave during the big celebrity golf tourney this past July in Tahoe. We were in Ceasar's on Saturday night and we saw Charles and Michael Jordan gambling in an area that was roped off. Well, as Charles was leaving I was able to get the attention of a man who was with him and I motioned him over. I told him that my daughter was on leave from Iraq and that she would like to meet Charles. Much to our surprise, Charles looked back at us while his friend told him what we wanted, and he came right over. He posed for a picuture with my daughter(he even told the security guy to let us take the pic) and talked to her about Osama Bin Laden and Iraq..he was really sweet...Anyway, not being able to resist..I said, "Charles, we are KINGS FANS"...and he immediately got a huge smile on his face and said:"YOU KNOW you ain't gonna win it...they're too soft!!" We all groaned and laughed because he said it jokingly. We bantered back and forth and before he was pulled away he said" I'd really like to see them win it, really,but they are soft." I asked him for a hug and he gave me a hug..boy, is that man BIG. :)
Anyway, he was so kind to us and especially my daughter that I can't really dislike him anymore. And, I do believe he would like to see us win.I do think he believes we are soft for sure, but I don't think he has something personal against the Kings or anything like that.
Anyway, just thought I'd mention my experience with Charles. He's not such a bad guy. :)

MOMof3 said:
I just needed to chime in here with a story about my face to face with Charles Barkley over the summer. I don't post often, but when I do, I usually mention that my oldest daughter is in Iraq. Well, she was home for leave during the big celebrity golf tourney this past July in Tahoe. We were in Ceasar's on Saturday night and we saw Charles and Michael Jordan gambling in an area that was roped off. Well, as Charles was leaving I was able to get the attention of a man who was with him and I motioned him over. I told him that my daughter was on leave from Iraq and that she would like to meet Charles. Much to our surprise, Charles looked back at us while his friend told him what we wanted, and he came right over. He posed for a picuture with my daughter(he even told the security guy to let us take the pic) and talked to her about Osama Bin Laden and Iraq..he was really sweet...Anyway, not being able to resist..I said, "Charles, we are KINGS FANS"...and he immediately got a huge smile on his face and said:"YOU KNOW you ain't gonna win it...they're too soft!!" We all groaned and laughed because he said it jokingly. We bantered back and forth and before he was pulled away he said" I'd really like to see them win it, really,but they are soft." I asked him for a hug and he gave me a hug..boy, is that man BIG. :)
Anyway, he was so kind to us and especially my daughter that I can't really dislike him anymore. And, I do believe he would like to see us win.I do think he believes we are soft for sure, but I don't think he has something personal against the Kings or anything like that.
Anyway, just thought I'd mention my experience with Charles. He's not such a bad guy. :)
Nice story. My grand-daughter is getting ready to go to Mosul with the 101st Airborne.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Glad to hear Charles is a decent humanbeing... even if he does have a cranial rectal impact disorder when it comes to talking about the Kings.

I actually tend to agree with Charles on this one. I've thought about and talked about this trade scenario over and over and I keep thinking that this is the deal to make for Peja, not only for this season, but for the next four years. Aside from the obvious things that Arrtest would bring to the table for the Kings, he is 2 years younger than Peja, his contract is for 2 more years than Peja's current contract, and makes less money...and he's the reigning NBA defensive player of the year. If Peja is not dealt as we have been lead to believe it is hard to think of a scenario that would have him re-signing with the Kings after next season. Sure Webb could be traded and things could be patched up with Peja, but really, how likely is that? The longer this thing with Peja plays out and the longer the Kings hold onto him, his trade value will diminish. If the Kings start slowly, and if there was ever a year for it it's this year (see the schedule) then they need to seriously contemplate this deal. If Peja is the most underpaid superstar in the league, then Ron Artest is not far behind at all. In 2 years when Peja either re-ups with the Kings or more likely signs with another team then Ron Artest will be the most underpaid superstar in the league...for the next 2 years (4 more years from now).

In defense of the Chuckster, who here can say that the Kings AREN'T soft? I am a fan, and I thought that they were soft on defense as well during the times i've been a fan. Back in the Peja/Artest thread, I said that initially I was against it, but when I started to look at it from a logical/non-emotional POV, it made sense and many posters agreed with it too.

So where exactly is the mistake in his logic, except that he's speaking negatively about the kings and anyone who speaks against the Kings is retarded?

bibbyweb said:
Now, I am also fiddling with that idea again:confused: . If we think without any emotions involved, why would the trade be so bad?
The only reason it would be questionable in my opinion is because Artest is a nutcase. Basketball-wise, it would probably be the push the Kings need to go the whole 9 yards. If this year doesn't work out, i'd say try that trade and keep the team and see what happens, THEN blow it all to bits if it doesn't go.

piksi

Hall of Famer
bibbyweb said:
Now, I am also fiddling with that idea again:confused: . If we think without any emotions involved, why would the trade be so bad?
we were not really talking about the trade.

we focused on our "favorite dogma"