Lebron is a father

G

Garliguy

James was raised as an only child by his mother Gloria, who was estranged from James' father when he was a youngster "That's my main goal, to try and be a better father than the one I had," James told the Akron Beacon Journal. "I didn't know him. I didn't know the situation he was in. But I'm going to do my job the best way I can."
I think it might be too early for congratulations or condemnations. We will see if he is a man of his word.

Garliguy said:
I think it might be too early for congratulations or condemnations. We will see if he is a man of his word.
regardless, he still had a baby out of wedlock, which means he is not in the baby's life as much as he should be.

but at least he isn't (not yet at least!) having five babies out of wedlock with five different women like a lot of NBA players. no wonder Charles Barkley said they shouldn't be role models...

Comes with the name "Man Child" Read Shawn Kemp.

I am liking this kid more and more. (Shawn Kemp # 4 on favorate players of all time list)

G

Garliguy

regardless, he still had a baby out of wedlock, which means he is not in the baby's life as much as he should be.
Why prevents an unwed father from being in a child's life as much as a father who is married?

I know someone who had his kids when he was 19. He's now 40 something and he's a great dad.
Exactly. One of my best friends had a child out of wedlock, and he is a GREAT dad.

Whether or not LeBron will be a good dad or not remains to be seen.

The problem is that your friends aren't exactly NBA superstars, a title that Lebron falls under. An NBA superstar can be away from home for weeks, possibly months at a time-- not including off-court business such as all the commercials he has to film for the companies he endorses.

I have little doubt that Lebron is a good person and a great dad when he'll be with his kid, but that's the problem: when he's actually with his son. The fact that he is 19 has little bearing on his ability to be a father, mostly because he seems to possess a maturity beyond his actual age. But it really is a unfortunate that he has already decided to pack on this extra responsibility at a time when he's already been asked to do so much at once, like single-handedly carry an entire NBA franchise on his back. I wish him luck.

G

Garliguy

The problem is that your friends aren't exactly NBA superstars, a title that Lebron falls under. An NBA superstar can be away from home for weeks, possibly months at a time-- not including off-court business such as all the commercials he has to film for the companies he endorses.
Well that's a different argument. According to your observation (which I don't necessarily disagree with), every NBA player, married or unmarried to the mother of his child, is under the same burdens.

Of course, one of the great benefits to being the kid of an NBA player, is that the child should have no $$$ concerns.

I realize that it is a different argument because this is an entirely different situation than anyone outside of the professional sports world can experience. And notice that I avoided the term "NBA player" and instead focused on "NBA superstar." Not everyone in the NBA is in the situation that Lebron is in. I highly doubt that Shawn Bradley knows what Lebron's situation is like. Lebron has been plastered all over the place as the future of the NBA, which isn't something that goes without consequence. When he's not playing, he'll be out practicing, doing radio shows, TV shows, TV commercials, event appearances, etc.

And I'm sure you were just joking about the money thing, but I just think it needs to be said that all the money in the world can't make up for a father that you only see a few months out of the year.

G

Garliguy

I realize that it is a different argument because this is an entirely different situation than anyone outside of the professional sports world can experience. And notice that I avoided the term "NBA player" and instead focused on "NBA superstar." Not everyone in the NBA is in the situation that Lebron is in. I highly doubt that Shawn Bradley knows what Lebron's situation is like. Lebron has been plastered all over the place as the future of the NBA, which isn't something that goes without consequence. When he's not playing, he'll be out practicing, doing radio shows, TV shows, TV commercials, event appearances, etc.
Agreed.

And I'm sure you were just joking about the money thing, but I just think it needs to be said that all the money in the world can't make up for a father that you only see a few months out of the year.
Actually, I wasn't joking. But I also wasn't saying the tremendous amount of money makes up for the absence. Just that it is one benefit that exists.

Today's NBA is such a different situation -- I don't recall the espn announcement when Jordan had any of his children, yet Lebron becoming a father is news?

PT Cruiser 9ROC said:

I have little doubt that Lebron is a good person and a great dad when he'll be with his kid, but that's the problem: when he's actually with his son. The fact that he is 19 has little bearing on his ability to be a father, mostly because he seems to possess a maturity beyond his actual age. But it really is a unfortunate that he has already decided to pack on this extra responsibility at a time when he's already been asked to do so much at once, like single-handedly carry an entire NBA franchise on his back. I wish him luck.
Whatever. LeBron's kid will have more advantages than most people on earth.

HndsmCelt said:
Except possibly a father who is involved in his life. Ask Mike Bibby which he would rather have dad growing up.
Exactly. Being a parent is such an awesome responsibility. Money can't make up for the great amount of time a parent must spend with his child.

We'll then should NBA players, or anyone who has a job that requires them to be away for long periods of time, not have kids?

I dont think so...

Personally i dont think that people should have kids at 19, im pretty sure Most (not all) people this age would like to enjoy time with their friends, go to partys, not be a father, of course this is just my oppinion. And not to mention that Lebron James has already alot of things on his plate.

Exactly. Being a parent is such an awesome responsibility. Money can't make up for the great amount of time a parent must spend with his child.
good point!:)

"That's my main goal, to try and be a better father than the one I had," James told the Akron Beacon Journal. "I didn't know him. I didn't know the situation he was in. But I'm going to do my job the best way I can."
Well Im guessing that he will try to be a good father.:)

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
ILV said:
I don't personally think its any of my business. Hopefully this child will have 2 responsible parents.
As do we all.

But when two teenagers have a child out of wedlock its not a real great start to the whole responsibility thing.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
"You need a liscens to drive a car, you need a lsience for a dog even to catch a F&$%in fish but they will let any butt reaming a$$hole father a kid" - Parenthood

HndsmCelt said:
Except possibly a father who is involved in his life. Ask Mike Bibby which he would rather have dad growing up.
Was that a Freudian slip or a typo? :D

Actually, you don't have to be an NBA player dad to have an absent parent for whatever reason...I have cousins whose dad was away A LOT when they were kids, big house on big land (not NBA money but more than the average bear), private schools, etc...now that we're all grown up, I think they're closer to their dad than their mom and my uncle still travels a bunch for business.

I just hate to see teenage parents in this day and age although with Lebron's income that takes away one big obsticle...but still, even though the article says he had the child with his long-time girlfriend, I can't help feeling that somewhere there's a family rejoicing in having won the NBA baby lottery. Maybe I'm just mean or too cynical, but I cringe at what these wealthy young men open themselves up to through carelessness whether it's Kobe, Lebron, or even Peja (although Aleka at least has a successful modeling career and her own past athletic accomplishments)...I just don't want to find myself reading about Lebron in 5-15 years being $850,000 behind in child support because of a career ending injury suffered in his 2nd or 3rd season (when the salary and endorsments dry up) like some other former NBA player I
read about earlier this summer who was trying to make a comeback in Canada (cuz he was dodging arrest warrants in two states for back child support).

I hope it all works out for him and his new family.