League and NBPA agree on new CBA

I wonder if there's bigger prizes for the in-season tournament. it seems kinda dumb unless they're offering the winner an automatic 1st seed in the playoffs despite their record?

500k seems like chump change to the guys when they're making tens of millions per year.
For some players it's chump change, for a lot of players an extra 500K would go a long way...

For some players it's chump change, for a lot of players an extra 500K would go a long way...
A single elimination tourney in Vegas with $500k on the line is basically Summer League II. I can't imagine any star level players getting excited for this when they could be on vacation and they have to do All Star stuff anyways. And at least with all star you're not expected to have to work hard...

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Hm. Seems like the players got hosed a bit
How the F did players agree to this?
From what's been reported so far I'm not quite sure how the players got shortchanged here. ESPN says that over the last few years, there have been an average of 3 teams over the new double-apron. So 3 taxpayer MLEs eliminated, in exchange for "new spending and trade opportunities for teams at the middle and lower spectrum of payrolls, including larger trade exceptions and new and expanded exceptions to the salary cap." Seems like that's likely to even out. Extensions can be bigger. Players can now smoke weed without worrying about it coming up on a drug test. (I know Padrino mentioned both of those in text I snipped). There's now another two-way slot for each team, so more players get an opportunity. The mid-year tournament can put some extra cash in players' pockets.

It seems like everybody was pretty OK with the CBA as it was, and they made a couple of small tweaks that both sides were OK with. And hey, it means there won't be a lockout (which would hurt the players' bottom line WAY more than losing 3 taxpayer MLEs).

What do you see that actually works against the players?

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
The players probably fought hard for the betting.. but this is going to end up awful for basketball. I hate that it's trending towards gambling
gambling can become an addiction which = spending until you can't spend anymore which = profit for companies offering gambling services ad infinitum

this will allow us to extend Sabonis and not wait till he's a free agent.
doesn’t look like 140 percent raise will get it done according to this yahoo article but who knows

“Sabonis will enter the 2023-24 NBA season on the final year of his four-year, $74.9 million contract he signed with the Indiana Pacers in 2019, but he could sign an extension with the Kings this summer.

Under the new CBA rules, players now can sign contract extensions with a 140 percent increase on their current deal, compared to a 120 million increase in years past.

That means Sabonis could sign a four-year extension with Sacramento worth $121 million -- up from $111 million under the previous CBA. Sabonis would earn $30.3 million per season on that deal, which he could sign this summer when free agency begins July 6.

That $30.3 million salary would be a significant raise from what Sabonis is making this season ($18.5 million), but it would still rank just 38th in the NBA.”

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
doesn’t look like 140 percent raise will get it done according to this yahoo article but who knows

“Sabonis will enter the 2023-24 NBA season on the final year of his four-year, $74.9 million contract he signed with the Indiana Pacers in 2019, but he could sign an extension with the Kings this summer.

Under the new CBA rules, players now can sign contract extensions with a 140 percent increase on their current deal, compared to a 120 million increase in years past.

That means Sabonis could sign a four-year extension with Sacramento worth $121 million -- up from $111 million under the previous CBA. Sabonis would earn $30.3 million per season on that deal, which he could sign this summer when free agency begins July 6.

That $30.3 million salary would be a significant raise from what Sabonis is making this season ($18.5 million), but it would still rank just 38th in the NBA.”
Yeah, I expect he'll want to get to FA and hopefully re-sign here just to get a bigger paycheck than the extension would allow.

As long as we are winning and continuing to improve I don't think him leaving during FA is a huge risk. He truly seems to be happy here with this group of players and coaching staff.