Langston Galloway to decline option

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Capn what's our cap space at now?
One...billion...dollars!

But seriously, a lot. Once we decline Afflalo, we're going to be on the hook for about...$45M for 9 players, and that includes our #5 and #10. That leaves us something close to $60M (!!?!?!!!?) in cap space, depending on where the cap finally comes in.

Please note that we cannot possibly spend all this money. Assume we're going to sign Bogdan, and allot $10M for him and we've still got $50M left for 5 slots. We probably sign our #34, because the draft is so deep, so that's $49M for 4 slots. That leaves PLENTY of room to absorb a bad contract from Portland for picks. Let's go out there and ask them to pay fairly for the service of getting their financially-irresponsible butts under the luxury tax and saving them perhaps $100M.

The roster spot is more valuable than the cap space. We have so much of latter, that we can't spend it, and certainly shouldn't. It'll be better to give a nice bonus to the players to reach the floor, than spend it.

While it will be good to get some picks at the cost of picking some bad contracts, no point taking on long term dead weight. Reduces flexibility later.

As of now, excluding Ben and Arron, we'll have 7 players. Adding 4 more brings us to 11. This gives us lot of flexibility in terms of buying picks, bringing back one or both of DC/Lawson, extending a qualifying offer to Ben, etc. Hope we can make it count.

Finally, I wouldn't have minded if LG had picked his option and stayed with the team. His contract was reasonably small, he's still young, and was not bad in limited minutes with us. We might have been able to get something for him at the trade deadline. No big deal though.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Wasn't this almost universally expected NOT to happen?

Can't say I'm disappointed. I was not a fan.
Yeah, I have no idea where he thinks he can get $5.5M this offseason. And as far as I'm concerned, it's not just the money, it's the roster spot as well. We have one more spot to play with, which (as I mentioned above) makes it that much easier for us to eat a bad contract for goodies.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
One...billion...dollars!

But seriously, a lot. Once we decline Afflalo, we're going to be on the hook for about...$45M for 9 players, and that includes our #5 and #10. That leaves us something close to $60M (!!?!?!!!?) in cap space, depending on where the cap finally comes in.

Please note that we cannot possibly spend all this money. Assume we're going to sign Bogdan, and allot $10M for him and we've still got $50M left for 5 slots. We probably sign our #34, because the draft is so deep, so that's $49M for 4 slots. That leaves PLENTY of room to absorb a bad contract from Portland for picks. Let's go out there and ask them to pay fairly for the service of getting their financially-irresponsible butts under the luxury tax and saving them perhaps $100M.
This just gets me thinking that I haven't heard much complaining recently about the current status of Vlade's work over the past couple years. Lots of (what apears to be good) youth on the team and more money to spend than we can shake a stick at. No albatross contracts. Two top-10 picks in what appears to be a good draft and a high second-round pick as well.

Obviously still a LOT of work to do, and who we select in the draft may significantly change public opinion, but if we wanted to rebuild I think we are generally going in the right direction at this time.

I am just speculating, but perhaps our FO has PG slotted up 3 deep in their plans already and let Galloway know he wouldn't see many minutes.

Hypothetically we could have Fox/DSJ - TY/Collison/Teodosic - I. Cousins/ 2nd rounder/ Portland pick all as very plausible scenarios. We just may not be in the loop about it yet. There was also the cutting of Tolliver for a roster spot to keep in mind.

For what it's worth, I have seen a number of Knicks fans who would welcome Langston back. He was well liked there.

lol where does galloway think he can make more than 5.5mpy? not trying to ridicule or anything, but I don't see him getting much in the open market....

lol where does galloway think he can make more than 5.5mpy? not trying to ridicule or anything, but I don't see him getting much in the open market....
Would be funny if he gets a lot less of an offer and we match it lol. (I think we can match) Rather have the roster spot though.

Wow, I'm surprised. Does he think he can get more?
Maybe not for this coming season but it's important he gets to play if his next multi year contract will be anything decent. He knows it's likely to shake out that he's the third PG going into next season. Maybe take less money to get in a situation where he can play decent minutes. He may find himself to b a forgotten player if he stayed two more years with the Kings

Sweet. I actually like Langston Galloway but at that price it's nice to have the space.

I'm still kinda hoping they can trade for Tim Frazier from the Pels.

Will Vivek allow the capspace to be rented out like it should be? or will he be afraid to spend? Up to this point he has not hesitated to spend and hopefully that continues.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Maybe not for this coming season but it's important he gets to play if his next multi year contract will be anything decent. He knows it's likely to shake out that he's the third PG going into next season. Maybe take less money to get in a situation where he can play decent minutes. He may find himself to b a forgotten player if he stayed two more years with the Kings
The guy doesn't want to simply collect checks, he wants to play in the league and I don't blame him one bit for choosing to explore his options. He better hope he isn't out of the league in a few seasons without much money to show for.