Laker Drama

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/1...lakers-rift-video-took-nick-young-made-public

How to ruin your career in 1 year by D'Angelo Russell.

In the video, Russell asks Young at one point, "You was 30 and she was 19?" referencing Young's age and the age of another woman that Young said that he met in a nightclub.

"What about Amber Rose?" Russell later says, mentioning another celebrity.

"No, she knows my girl," Young is recorded as saying.

Later in the conversation, while apparently still recording, Russell is heard telling Young, "I'm glad you told my video all that."
At a recent breakfast meeting, one source said, no Laker would sit with Russell at his table. The source added that, in another instance, Russell came into the locker room and sat next to guard Lou Williams, who got up and walked away.

"It's bad," one team source told ESPN.com's Ramona Shelburne. "It's about as bad as it can get. There were trust issues already. Now there's no trust."

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Someone said the Lakers tried centering a deal around Rudy Gay for Russell...
What do you mean by "someone"?

Other than the fact that I think Casspi is better suited as a backup and we'd be in trouble at the SF, a Gay-for-Russell swap could make for an interesting offseason, particularly if we can re-sign Rondo for a couple of years/draft Hield/sign Anderson. Gay-for-Russell would free up some money, but maybe not enough to get much of a SF in free agency.

Tell you what. We can send Ben McLemore for Russell and call it even.
Until dmc kills Russell for video taping him in the locker room without him knowing then getting it leaked online. As far as I know our team chemistry is good now. I know it's hypothetical but why bring in someone no one would trust. His teammates won't even sit next to him.

I realise that pranks happen on sports teams at any level from school to college to pros to playing amateur sports for fun. We've probably all experienced something in our time, but if done in the right manner, it's part of the brother and sisterhood on teams. However, I can't fathom what was going through Russell's mind when he thought it would be "funny" to record another teammate and ask him if he cheated on his financee, and what women he has been with. That to me isn't funny because it would have real life implications for all involved, and it would break trust between not only them but the entire team because how can you trust someone that has just done that? It's one thing to put a can of exploding shaving cream in a locker, but it's an entirely different thing to record them and ask them if and who they have cheated on their financee with.

I think it's going to be difficult for him to win people over, it will take time for people to forgive him, but someone with that talent will be forgiven and bridges repaired, and those that can't will probably be shown the door because talent tends to trump everything else in professional sports.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Am I the only person wondering why, when the news broke that Kyrie Irving's girlfriend cheated on him, everybody came down on the cheater, and when the news broke that Nick Young cheated on his fiancée, everybody has come down on the person who told on him?

Also, didn't Kobe Bryant snitch to the cops about Shaq's infidelity, before having him run out of town?

Am I the only person wondering why, when the news broke that Kyrie Irving's girlfriend cheated on him, everybody came down on the cheater, and when the news broke that Nick Young cheated on his fiancée, everybody has come down on the person who told on him?

Also, didn't Kobe Bryant snitch to the cops about Shaq's infidelity, before having him run out of town?
In terms of particular individuals, no, because what they do between the sheets is their business. In terms of society as a whole, yes.

I have never understood why if a female plays the field, she's a slut but if a man does he's just sowing his oats. If one is, so is the other and vice versa. We all have a judgement day but theirs is not mine to judge.

I don't know of anyone who thinks a guy cheating is ok while a woman cheating is not.

Regardless of the situation, you don't put your teammates personal lives on blast like that. That's their business to sort out. What he did was about the worst thing you could possibly do to a teammate. It would have been wrong of him to personally go up to Young's girlfriend and tell her. To post it online for millions of people to see is unforgivable.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I don't know of anyone who thinks a guy cheating is ok while a woman cheating is not.
I don't question whether you personally (or any one person on KF.com) know of anyone who thinks "a guy cheating is ok while a woman cheating is not," but when I do an internet search about this Kyrie Irving/Kehlani/PARTYNEXTDOOR situation, the comments that I read appear to overwhelmingly be either clowning Kyrie Irving for being cuckolded, or slut shaming Kehlani. And, when I do an internet search for this Deangelo Russell/Nick Young situation, the comments that I read appear to overwhelmingly be coming down on Russell for "snitching," or "breaking the bro code." And all I want to know is, why isn't anybody slut shaming Nick Young?

You guys are missing the point. It's not about Young cheating. It's about Russell never being trusted by any NBA player. It could have been about steroids, talking crap about players/coaches or whatever. To record the conversation was stupid not to mention a legal violation since there was most likely an expectation of privacy.

I don't question whether you personally (or any one person on KF.com) know of anyone who thinks "a guy cheating is ok while a woman cheating is not," but when I do an internet search about this Kyrie Irving/Kehlani/PARTYNEXTDOOR situation, the comments that I read appear to overwhelmingly be either clowning Kyrie Irving for being cuckolded, or slut shaming Kehlani. And, when I do an internet search for this Deangelo Russell/Nick Young situation, the comments that I read appear to overwhelmingly be coming down on Russell for "snitching," or "breaking the bro code." And all I want to know is, why isn't anybody slut shaming Nick Young?
I think it's just where you're finding them on the internet. Talk to people in person (or on here since this is a mature group) about what their opinions on the matter are and they should vary wildly from the comments sections on articles where people post verbal diarrhea for fun.

Nick Young (or any professional athlete) cheating, surprises absolutely no one. Now a basketball player posting a video to social media of his teammate talking about cheating is very surprising and probably why people are commenting about him snitching over Nick Young's morals. If Nick Young was spotted holding hands with another girl by TMZ, the comments would be more reflective of his character. The big story here is Russell outing him.

The way Russell outed Young was in bad taste. Cheating is wrong, but recording someone on video and releasing it to someone while knowing the implications for the entire world to see is unforgiveable.

He took a very private matter and made it public.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I think it's just where you're finding them on the internet. Talk to people in person (or on here since this is a mature group) about what their opinions on the matter are and they should vary wildly from the comments sections on articles where people post verbal diarrhea for fun.
Where I'm finding them? Those are the top search results: where am I supposed to be looking for them?

Zero of the people I have spoken to about this IRL have slut-shamed Nick Young. A non-zero number of people I have spoken to about this IRL have slut-shamed Kehlani and/or clowned Kyrie Irving. I find that to be incongruous, and more than a little troubling.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I beg to differ; I don't feel like I'm missing the point so much as I am disagreeing about which is the more interesting/important story here.
What I have a problem with is that one topic is sports-related (betraying teammate trust) while the other is something we've preferred not to get into (social commentary).

Where I'm finding them? Those are the top search results: where am I supposed to be looking for them?

Zero of the people I have spoken to about this IRL have slut-shamed Nick Young. A non-zero number of people I have spoken to about this IRL have slut-shamed Kehlani and/or clowned Kyrie Irving. I find that to be incongruous, and more than a little troubling.
You made it sound like you were reading the comments section attached to the bottom of the articles on the issue. I merely stated that those comment sections aren't necessarily what people think in real life, as they are just a place for people to post thoughtless garbage for ***** and giggles.

Like I said, the story is Russell outing Young. Young's cheating takes a back seat to the more interesting part of the story. It's how the world works. Everyone knows professional athletes cheat on their spouses on a massive level. It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to know that rich guys are going to give in to temptation when the most attractive girls from all over the world are throwing themselves at them. Young being a cheater surprises just about no one but a teammate outing him on social media surprises just about everyone since this kind of thing very rarely ever happens.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
You made it sound like you were reading the comments section attached to the bottom of the articles on the issue. I merely stated that those comment sections aren't necessarily what people think in real life, as they are just a place for people to post thoughtless garbage for ***** and giggles.

Like I said, the story is Russell outing Young. Young's cheating takes a back seat to the more interesting part of the story. It's how the world works. Everyone knows professional athletes cheat on their spouses on a massive level. It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to know that rich guys are going to give in to temptation when the most attractive girls from all over the world are throwing themselves at them. Young being a cheater surprises just about no one but a teammate outing him on social media surprises just about everyone since this kind of thing very rarely ever happens.
As I said in reply to @Section 101, we don't agree about what the more interesting part of this story is. And I feel like part of the disconnect here appears to be why I think that you think that I think that the other part of the story is more interesting.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Sam Amick weighing in http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...-nick-young-lakers-sam-amick-column/82436282/

Years later, after the case against him was dropped and a civil suit was settled out of court with no admission of guilt from Bryant, agents of prominent NBA players would still cite the O’Neal subplot as the sort of sin that inspired their clients to steer clear of Laker Land. The natural question regarding Russell now, in addition to the one about his teammates and the damage he has done to their collective trust, is whether this will make him a pariah to his peers around the league at the worst possible time.
But the more relevant reaction won’t be heard until July, when the Lakers are estimated to have a league-high $66 million in salary cap space and the only thing they can’t afford is for Russell’s immature moment to cost them dearly.

As I said in reply to @Section 101, we don't agree about what the more interesting part of this story is. And I feel like part of the disconnect here appears to be why I think that you think that I think that the other part of the story is more interesting.
Think about it. Who watches the NBA more? Males or females. More males are going to comment on the story and some will perpetuate the "bro code" mentality.

If more females were commenting on some hollywood couple engaged in a cheating scandal, they would be perpetuating the values of sisterhood.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I never said that I didn't understand it; I just said that I find it incongruous. Either infidelity is bad, or it isn't; Nick Young shouldn't be any less shamed for his behavior than Kehlani was for hers but, unfortunately, that doesn't appear to be how it has played out.

I never said that I didn't understand it; I just said that I find it incongruous. Either infidelity is bad, or it isn't; Nick Young shouldn't be any less shamed for his behavior than Kehlani was for hers but, unfortunately, that doesn't appear to be how it has played out.
Infidelity is bad. Period. Both genders are bias.

People are only criticizing Russell because he doesn't know Iggy personally. He's not a friend or co-worker so couldn't possibly understand the dynamic of their relationship. Maybe Iggy lets Young go outside of their relationship. Kirelenko's wife IRC had a similar arrangement.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Well, I don't think that is the only reason why: I feel like, with some people, it wouldn't have matter even if they were blood kin. Some people appear to believe very strongly in the whole "stop snitching" ethos, and tend to have a zero-tolerance policy about such things.

Well, I don't think that is the only reason why: I feel like, with some people, it wouldn't have matter even if they were blood kin. Some people appear to believe very strongly in the whole "stop snitching" ethos, and tend to have a zero-tolerance policy about such things.
Of course some of the people defending Young's actions are cheaters also, so there's that.

If I know someone is cheating on my friend, should I broadcast the entire situation on social media so the whole world knows?

In a nutshell: This isn't the first time Young has been accused of cheating, there's a photo circulating January of 2015. He's still with his now fiancee'
There's also the lovely ideology that "cheating is to be expected" as far as professional athletes (I can't begin to tell you how many stories I've heard of sports favorite star)
VS
The situation with Kyrie/Kehlani/her ex-bf