Kristap Porzingis

We ain’t getting Simmons so let’s toss that off the balcony. How about Buddy/Bagley/and a Portected Pick for Porzingis? Luka needs shooters, doesn’t like Kristap and he would be legit spacing the floor with Holmes playing center

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Why the hell’d we want to help a conference rival out by taking their injury prone broken-ass max player who hates playing with Luka off their hands AND give THEM a pick in the process?

Simmons is a multiple time all-defensive team with great court vision who is allergic to shooting. Zinger is a tall dude with bad ligaments and a bad back who can’t defend beyond the rim any more who at this point thinks he’s better than he is and has three more years on his contract (last year is a player option that he’d be dumb not to take).

Why the hell’d we want to help a conference rival out by taking their injury prone broken-ass max player who hates playing with Luka off their hands AND give THEM a pick in the process?

Simmons is a multiple time all-defensive team with great court vision who is allergic to shooting. Zinger is a tall dude with bad ligaments and a bad back who can’t defend beyond the rim any more who at this point thinks he’s better than he is and has three more years on his contract (last year is a player option that he’d be dumb not to take).
Lol damn triggered much? Ok then take out the pick. Simmons ain’t coming here stop it.

7'3" big dudes with questionable lateral agility and medical red flags out the wazoo never age well. The Mavs have been trying to unload the dude for years and haven't found any takers. Why the hell would we want to help them out? I'm honestly asking.
i mean if he can get a clean bill of health for once we could really use him but yeah his health been trash past few years.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
I think before making any deals like this the Kings have to see where they are. They are obviously confident heading into the year that they can be a playoff contender as is, so any deals of this magnitude have to be based on a variety of factors like fit and honestly desperation. I would normally be totally anti-Porizingis, I'm not a fan of bigs like him normally but I will say he would seemingly be a much better fit for this squad than he is next to Luka. Maybe Buddy/Bagley can be salvaged but that would a very low percentage bet at this point and there is almost no way that the Kings stuffed backcourt and frontcourt aren't a potential land mine for both at this point so losing more and more value means losing Bagley for nothing and Buddy becoming a cap anchor. Maybe dealing for a Porzingis even with the issues Tetsujin brought up isn't anything more than a lateral risk at this point considering? I don't know. Few expected the Kings to continue to fill up the FC and BC while not really addressing the wing spot this summer either so all bets are off at this point.

i mean if he can get a clean bill of health for once...
Lemme just stop you right there and put on my Capt. Factorial's hat, Zinger had never played a full season in his entire career and has been quickly dropping in numbers by the season.

His rookie season was his most complete season with 72 games played. Then it became 66 and 48 respectively in his next two seasons with the Knicks. in 18-19, he did not play a single game due to his torn left ACL, which many had noted that he will likely lose a step. The Mavs unwittingly bought into his hype as a pair with Luka and took him on during his ACL injury. And boy, did he ever lose a step. He played 57 and 43 games in his two seasons with the Mavs and has shown to be just a shade of himself left. He is really just a glorified stretch-5 with low mobility.

I'm always someone who's down to give a chance to a player who might just need a change of scenery (aka Simmons), but the only way I'd really be interested in Porzingis is in NBA 2K fantasy franchise mode.

EDIT: His 19-20 season's highlight:

Lemme just stop you right there and put on my Capt. Factorial's hat, Zinger had never played a full season in his entire career and has been quickly dropping in numbers by the season.

His rookie season was his most complete season with 72 games played. Then it became 66 and 48 respectively in his next two seasons with the Knicks. in 18-19, he did not play a single game due to his torn left ACL, which many had noted that he will likely lose a step. The Mavs unwittingly bought into his hype as a pair with Luka and took him on during his ACL injury. And boy, did he ever lose a step. He played 57 and 43 games in his two seasons with the Mavs and has shown to be just a shade of himself left. He is really just a glorified stretch-5 with low mobility.

I'm always someone who's down to give a chance to a player who might just need a change of scenery (aka Simmons), but the only way I'd really be interested in Porzingis is in NBA 2K fantasy franchise mode.

EDIT: His 19-20 season's highlight:
fair enough!

Porzingis has negative value. The Mavs would need to give up mutiple picks for me to be remotely interested. And quite frankly that’s probably not enough since Luka is going to be carrying them way up in the standings and the picks are going to be very late in the first round.

It's crazy to me how media perception warps the actual value of players. Kristaps absolutely has REAL injury concerns, but when he's on the court he's at or near all-star level production on both ends. He'd pretty easily be the 2nd best player on the Kings and I really like his fit with the guards as a pick-n-pop partner. I think he fits like a glove with Holmes too and that'd be a pretty exciting front-court duo.

It's crazy to me how media perception warps the actual value of players. Kristaps absolutely has REAL injury concerns, but when he's on the court he's at or near all-star level production on both ends. He'd pretty easily be the 2nd best player on the Kings and I really like his fit with the guards as a pick-n-pop partner. I think he fits like a glove with Holmes too and that'd be a pretty exciting front-court duo.
my thoughts exactly. If he can finally be healthy he would fit our team real nicely. 37%+ at the 3 and Holmes can stay inside the paint. Kristap prolly better off coming off the weak side while Holmes guards the post up

I'd do the deal if Dallas sent us two first rounders but I don't think they can do that because they still owe first rounders for KP. lol.

I don't see any reason to make a questionable trade and I bet once Simmons shakes out if it isn't us more teams will be willing to deal a Buddy level player at a different position for Buddy. And then deal with Bagley on his own. Maybe he stays healthy and gets some value back.

If Monte felt like gambling I've mentioned before that the deals to make would be Fox for Simmons and Barnes/Bagley for Porzingis.

Porzingis
Simmons
Haliburton
Hield
Mitchell

Would be a hell of a lineup. Simmons would be the primary ball handler but he'd have Tyrese and Davion to help out. If Kristaps is recovered from injury then only Buddy would be a defensive liability and there's plenty of shooting around Simmons.

That said, I'd rather keep Fox and taking a risk on a 7'3" player with knee injuries is a huge one.

"At or near all-star production on both ends"?

With Luka - yes, offensively. Without Luka, not so much. Still, in a lineup with Fox/Ty/Holmes/Barnes I'd expect him to do well (like many others who can stretch the floor would in a lineup w/that foursome).

But Kings' fans, above all others, know that defense matters too - and the Porzingis we saw last year was in no way a plus defender, much less an all-star caliber one. His block rates, steal rates, and FG% allowed at the rim (58% in 2020-21) were all career lows. https://bit.ly/2XDXlUB

A big man w/poor (and declining) lateral mobility who can't defend at the rim? Given that the Kings had by far their biggest struggles on the defensive end of the floor, Porzingis' issues on that end strike me as a major problem - ESPECIALLY in a guy who can't stay on the floor, whose physical issues are likely to get worse, and who has $100 million coming his way over the next three years.

Last edited:
Not worth the risk but he's surprisingly more productive than I thought he was post injuries. Would be the 2nd best player on the Kings.
I mean... yeah. Pretty easily too. If all it took was a protected FRP/Buddy/Bagley, I'm pulling that trade all day every day in hopes we hit his upside and he can stay healthy. In a similar vein to Simmons, the Kings just don't get access to these kind of talents unless they draft them (although Kristaps is worse/way more warts with his injury history).

I mean... yeah. Pretty easily too. If all it took was a protected FRP/Buddy/Bagley, I'm pulling that trade all day every day in hopes we hit his upside and he can stay healthy. In a similar vein to Simmons, the Kings just don't get access to these kind of talents unless they draft them (although Kristaps is worse/way more warts with his injury history).
Hefty contract + injury concerns + the idea of him not aging real well makes me think long and hard about it. If the Kings are good enough to where their pick isn't going to be top 10 then it's a much easier decision. But like you alluded to, you have to think long and hard about these types of players that the Kings don't normally have access to.

Still don't get the KP to the Fox lead Kings proposals. Fox would run him into ground by the 15th game.

KP needs to play with a CP or Steph type. Not a Fox type.

And this is before his contract even enters the convo.

So no. Just NO.