Kreidler: Kings stars are united;their full-page ad says so

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/basketball/kings/story/11295485p-12210633c.html
===========================
Mark Kreidler: Kings' stars are united; their full-page ad says so

By Mark Kreidler -- Bee Sports Columnist
Published 2:15 am PST Tuesday, November 2, 2004
And now, for something completely different: the pre-emptive good wish.

Normally, franchises, players and/or owners wait until the end of a season before taking out the newspaper advertisement that thanks the fans for a great year. Not so with this Kings unit.

Nope, dig a little deeper into today's sports section, and you'll find the before-the-fact full-page ad from the Big Six. After a summer of upheaval, Chris Webber, Peja Stojakovic, Mike Bibby, Bobby Jackson, Brad Miller and Doug Christie have something they want to say.

Go ahead, take a look. It's on page C5. I'll wait right here.

(Sound of idle whistling ... )

Interesting language, isn't it? Is there such a thing as defiant good cheer? I mean, "Our spirits will never be broken" is an inspiring sentiment, except that it seems to imply something is threatening those spirits in the first place.

If so, what, exactly? Dastardly media? Evil opponents? The enemy within? The occasional Arco catcall?

Unexplained - for now.

The ad was paid for through Webber's account at The Bee, though the word is the six players split the cost (roughly $12,000) evenly. Also, notice the handwriting: Each of the players took a turn scrawling one of the words.

It's different, let's say that. Joe and Gavin Maloof usually wait until late May for this kind of direct-appeal communication. But what the heck: It was a long summer, it's Election Day, Halloween is over, and it's time to play NBA games that count.

Unity, thy name evidently is newsprint.

• A Comcast official wants it clear that the company is offering its Sports Net West channel to every Sacramento area operator - including Dish Network and DirecTV - for the same price SureWest and Starstream, among others, have now accepted.

The implication being, of course, that Comcast is being fair by offering the same deal to everyone. Alternate reading: Comcast isn't negotiating the price ($1.60 per subscriber per month, sources say) in any sense or under any circumstance. It's take-it-or-leave-it for the competition - which, it probably ought to be noted, is what most businesses would do if they could.

Will it matter? Dish sent its customers an e-mail Sunday saying it hoped to add two Comcast sports channels, including Sports Net West, within the week.

• Good, solid and mostly undebatable cuts by the Kings on season's eve, leaving Matt Barnes and Maurice Evans, among others, on the roster. But there can't be any question GM Geoff Petrie will be scanning the waiver wire for a backup big man - not absolutely essential, but the kind of insurance competitive teams feel a need to possess.

=====================
The rest is non Kings related.....

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Well that certainly sounds encouraging. Can anybody who actually gets the Bee confirm?

Certainly beats the 2 word ad I would have run if I were them: "Blow Me!". :p

Last edited:
Full page, pictures of each of the six (Chris, Brad and Darius are actually together in one pic in China) each pic autographed.
'Our Spirit will never be broken' written across the top, each word by a different player.
'Thank you Fans! We love you!!!!!' across the bottom.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
And The Celt wonders how far north he would have to drive today to get a Sac Bee? Maybe only as far as North Fresno to Barnes and Noble.

I don't have a scanner capable of scanning tabloid size, unfortunately! Actually, my scanner is in the garage under a bunch of junk anyway:) I wonder if I could do it at work? At least there, I can scan 11 x 17, so it would only take a couple scans. I'm off today, but I could go by there.

Interesting language, isn't it? Is there such a thing as defiant good cheer? I mean, "Our spirits will never be broken" is an inspiring sentiment, except that it seems to imply something is threatening those spirits in the first place.
I took it (the sentiment) to mean that, despite striving and coming up short for a myraid of heartbreaking reasons, despite the doubts swirling, and the lack of faith displayed by both the media and a large percentage of the fan base, that they still believe, that their will, their spirit, is intact.
But what the hell do I know?

Kings ad

I've scanned the ad, or at least a good portion of it, and created a jpeg. If someone can tell me how to attach the jpeg to an email, I'll post it. I don't see a paper clip icon here.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
thedofd said:
I've scanned the ad, or at least a good portion of it, and created a jpeg. If someone can tell me how to attach the jpeg to an email, I'll post it. I don't see a paper clip icon here.
Just go ahead and make a normal post here and pan down to the
"Additional Options" down beneath the text box (and beneath the smilies, submit button etc.). There is a "Manage Attachments" button there that let's you upload jpegs etc. Might have resize it a bit if its too big, but otherwise it should work.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
fakie said:
whoa, wait,
it's cute and all.
but did anyone pick up Kreidler's sarcasm?
what is he talking about?
After a summer of upheaval, Chris Webber, Peja Stojakovic, Mike Bibby, Bobby Jackson, Brad Miller and Doug Christie have something they want to say.
Our starting team, plus Bobby AND Darius (at least in one of the pictures), is making it clear. They arent' going to let their spirit be broken by negative comments from (primarily) media hacks who want to present the most doom and gloom pictures possible at every juncture.

I don't care if there's a note of sarcasm in Kreidler's words or not. I think the ad speaks pretty clearly on its own without any need for interpretation.

"Our spirit will not be broken." and "Thank you, fans. We love you!"

That's good enough for me, a fan.

thedofd said:
I had to shrink the image so much to make it fit (it was originally 200+ bytes) that it may not be legible, but here goes:
I'm so happy! ,,Our spirit never will be broken....''
Awwwwww I need to hear this! It's very nice from Kings's side.
FANS NEED SOME LOVE:p

thank for pics