Kingy questions inspired by insane boredom.

1. Who's your favorite all-time King personality wise and why?

2. Which all-time King do you respect the most and why?

3. Who is your favorite all-time King and why?

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
1. Vlade - Although it may have gotten a bit confused at the end, I think he was the personable player we've had.

2. Lawrence Funderburke - He always did what was asked of him, even when it was to just sit on the end of the bench. Although he requested a release at the end - and I can't blame him - I will always remember him as the "Gentleman King."

3. This is a tough question. There have been several I really liked. (I'm speaking of the ones I actually watched...not those who came before.) I think it's a tie between Reggie Theus and Doug Christie. It's about heart, dedication, playing to the best of one's ability, etc.

Wow, Theus, eh? I always saw him portrayed as the pretty-boy type player who only cared about stats. He was before my time and games from the Sacramento era are nonexistent on NBAtv and BSPN-C. I do know him from Laker pre-game shows of the mid-90s with Coop and Sunderland though. And there was also that "Saved By The Bell" like show he had where he played a high school coach with a team that had a girl on it. ;)

Interesting.

1. BIBBY... cuz his humble and is funny...

2. RICHMOND... cuz through the tough time he didnt complain

3. RICHMOND one again... cuz he was a superb ALLSTAR.... very underrated at times.... even JORDAN said he was the toughest player to go up against....

I probably would go with Reggie also, on pure ability...he had the most wicked fall-away jumper that looked so pretty(even though Peja's isnt half bad either, when he uses it, that is) Reggie was persona at its fullest when he was here, he was smooth on the court and smooth off the court. He was 6'7 and had a great passing game and a great post up game. He WAS the Kings for the 3 years he was here.
-I'd have to go with Wayman Tisdale as a close 2nd, though.

VF21 said:
1. Vlade - Although it may have gotten a bit confused at the end, I think he was the personable player we've had.

2. Lawrence Funderburke - He always did what was asked of him, even when it was to just sit on the end of the bench. Although he requested a release at the end - and I can't blame him - I will always remember him as the "Gentleman King."

3. This is a tough question. There have been several I really liked. (I'm speaking of the ones I actually watched...not those who came before.) I think it's a tie between Reggie Theus and Doug Christie. It's about heart, dedication, playing to the best of one's ability, etc.
Sooner or later things tend to come back around. VF, here we are, on the same page, once again, after all these posts. I could not argue w/ any of your choices here. In fact i find them very pleasing. For real. Although DC is a definite lock for alltime King (believe it or not i did not like the guy for the first couple of months).

As for favorite personality i like Scotty Pollard in the 2 position, give special mention to BJ and JB and send lotsa love to all my other beloved Kings current and exes. Not all of em, mind ya. There are a few that i would gladly forget about, if i could...

Brad Miller. He seems tough and down home...

I have always had respect for Bobby Hansen. When I was younger, I would write to every NBA player I knew, send a basketball card, a SASE, and ask for an autograph. Most would never return my card, some would return my card with a stamped autograph, but Bobby Hansen signed his with a ball point pen on the front and the back (asking for 2 autographs on one card helped me find out if anyone ever read my letters). His willingness to autograph a card and read a letter from a fan on his own time and mail it back makes me respect Bobby Hansen the most.

Doug Christie... why? Rick Fox, 'nuff said.

AriesMar27 said:
What no love for Peeler... why? KG, 'nuff said.
Well, I still have an irrational thought in my mind that the Peeler/KG fistacuffs was all a setup by Peeler and his best friend KG to give the Puppies an advantage in game 7... Notice Peeler didn't want to stay in Sac after that... Plus KG is much lower on my "Players who need to be punched" than Rick Fox was. Well, now that he beats up his teammates again, maybe DC can rock his world, too. Additionally, DC throttled Rick Fox like one of those ballon punching bags for kids... then when Rick Fox ambushed DC, DC again played rock'em sock'em robots with Rick Fox's head. Peeler elbowed KG in the mug, which was nice and all, but nowhere near what DC did.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Personally, my selection of all-time favorite King had a lot more critieria than how someone throws a punch...but maybe I'm just old-fashioned that way.

;)

Last edited:
VF21 said:
Personally, my selection of all-time favorite King had a lot more critieria than how someone throws a punch...but maybe I'm just old-fashioned that way.

;)
I do have more criteria, but what am I going to say? I like his defensive presence and heart? It's all stuff we all know already, the punch just kind of puts him a bit ahead of Songalia, Bibby, and the rest.

1. Scot Pollard, guy's hilarious
2. Mitch Richmond and Doug Christie, loads a talent on a not so great team, but still gave 100%. (DC for the effort!)
3. Chris Webber, I just enjoyed watching him play.

KiNgMyC said:
2. Mitch Richmond and Doug Christie, loads a talent on a not so great team, but still gave 100%. (DC for the effort!)
Mitch? The same guy that went to LA, played like 4 minutes a game, and got himself a ring? Something about that just makes it hard for me to respect him. I did, just like i (kinda) respected Malone for staying with their franchises for so long. Not so much anymore.

My answers:
1) Scot Pollard - great personality, on and off the court.

2)Lawrence Funderburke - a true gentleman in a league full of screw-ups

3)Spud Webb - major reason I became a Kings fan.

VF21 said:

The things that keep popping back into my head w/ DC would include that memorable occasion in a big game a few years back when he went out on an injury and then Peja got hurt so he decided he HAD to come back into the game to help the team and was VERY influential and key to the victory that night.

I am also delighted by his overall game and athletic ability, his sense of values to include family AND the disclosure that he told his kids after the Fox incident that he was not proud of his action and that was not the way to solve problems. That's something that commands my respect speaking as a father and somebody who works in the field of human behavior.

Finally he's about as selfless a player as there is, the essence of Team play and a general inspiration when he's on the court...

Go Doug. Can't wait to see you back on court...

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985

Scot because he is funny (and clever) and Vlade because he has such a kind and gentle soul.

#1 - Vlade for the above reason and because he gives so much to children (not only in the former Yugoslavia, but to other kids as well)

#2 - Funderburke for the same reasons already mentioned.

Bobby Jackson - IMHO no Kings player has ever played with more heart and because "what you see is what you get".

The things that keep popping back into my head w/ DC would include that memorable occasion in a big game a few years back when he went out on an injury and then Peja got hurt so he decided he HAD to come back into the game to help the team and was VERY influential and key to the victory that night
Play Offs, against Dallas, the first year we played them. I remember Doug going down, then Peja, and thinking we were doomed, not just for the game, but the series, if both of them were out. Doug already dressing in the locker room when Peja hobbles in, suits back up, comes back out, and never misses a shot the rest of the game. WCF's year. Let's get it back. The hunger, the drive, the passion, the fun.

Yep, I still get goosebumps thinking about that game and the whole playoffs. Tremendous effort by Christie. Those were magical times. Maybe another Kings team can get to the promised land but IMO I don't think we would ever see that kind of on-court chemistry again. :(

I think it is still there, that passion, waiting to be sparked. Perhaps in need of a little nudge. Chemistry is too loose a word, IMO, as it is used to mean everything now. In recent years, here, it was used to describe how well the team got along, on and off the court. I don't think that is enough, or even the goal. In that year, there was more than a spark, there was a fire, an edge. I'm hoping, with the infusion of new blood, and the disruption of the old, that they can get back to that.

I love your positive thinking folks but I don't necessarily agree with it. It is due to the fact that the Kings have never reached those heights since then. We see a more grittier team today but definitely not as cohesive as the one that made the WCF. I don't know how to explain, it is almost like that team did wonderful things instinctively, the way they made thing look oh so easy (like Federer against Hewitt yesterday). Needless to say, that the chemistry situation now is not so rosy with people asking for trade, calling out others in the press and what not. The truth is Kings without chemistry is just another team.

I'm hopeful that things would get resolved and Kings get to win the big one but there will never be another team like the one that made it to the WCF.

Bibby - thats the kind of personality that i admire the most, maintain a low profile in normal time and show your mattle when it matters the most.

Doug Christie- a true team player.

Chis Webber - Just love his game

Kingsgurl said:
Play Offs, against Dallas, the first year we played them. I remember Doug going down, then Peja, and thinking we were doomed, not just for the game, but the series, if both of them were out. Doug already dressing in the locker room when Peja hobbles in, suits back up, comes back out, and never misses a shot the rest of the game. WCF's year. Let's get it back. The hunger, the drive, the passion, the fun.
The hunger, the drive, the passion, BUT NO FUN unitil the championship's home.
Dr. Webber's prescription ;)

coolhandluke said:
I love your positive thinking folks but I don't necessarily agree with it. It is due to the fact that the Kings have never reached those heights since then. We see a more grittier team today but definitely not as cohesive as the one that made the WCF. I don't know how to explain, it is almost like that team did wonderful things instinctively, the way they made thing look oh so easy (like Federer against Hewitt yesterday). Needless to say, that the chemistry situation now is not so rosy with people asking for trade, calling out others in the press and what not. The truth is Kings without chemistry is just another team.

I'm hopeful that things would get resolved and Kings get to win the big one but there will never be another team like the one that made it to the WCF.
I think it's pretty obvious that Sac competes well when they feel passionate enough to defend tight and to get the ball swinging all over the place. When those two things are absent, the Kings are capable of losing to anyone. However, even when they're mediocre in both areas, they were still good enough to win more often than not. With added question marks in 2005 (we all know what they are), I think it's likely that we'll see a streaky Kings team.

coolhandluke said:

Each years team is a different incarnation, true. How about we not condemn this years version until we see how they jell on the court. I think you may be in for a few surprises.

Circa_1985_Fan said:
I almost forgot, my sentimental favorite, in his honor...Ricky Berry. R.I.P., always...you still are missed.
I actually have a game on vhs from that season in which he played. Looked promising.

Gargamel said:
I actually have a game on vhs from that season in which he played. Looked promising.
He had a few games that season where he lit it up...most memorable was against Golden State where he hit 7 3's, and the Kings set the THEN single game team record 16 3's in one game. Ricky had one of the sweetest looking shots, and it was quick, too...almost reminded me of Ray Allen, now.