KingsFans Anxiety Outlet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time to dig deep into "places you don't talk about at parties" ($1 to Col. Jessup) and talk about how apprehensive we all are about this upcoming season...

I'm tired. The emotional roller coaster this team has taken me through has me approaching apathetic status. The issues are more than well documented by this board as well as the media. Sure, most of the time you take what the media says with a grain of salt, but you have to be as cold-hearted as my ex- to let every grain bounce off of you.

The media is all about finding flaws and making drama out of everything. Some people like drama. For me, drama is inherent in being a Kings fan since '85. Losing is dramatic... Lotsa drama those first 13 years. Winning is dramatic.. plenty of drama these last 5 years too... The drama that kills me is the drama of expectations. It is hard, as any Red Sox fan can attest, to see your team get SO CLOSE only to come up short. Over. And. Over.

It would be different if the teams we lost to were teams we couldn't beat. But they weren't. The team we ended up not beating was ourselves. And it has never been because a lack of talent or ability. It has been an utter inability to win "the One that matters". Sure they win some that matter on the way, but when thew bullet hits the bone, those games really didn't matter, did they?

Regardless of this anxiety I will still watch every game available, get emotionally involved, and be the best Kings fan possible. I'm just soooooo tired...

Just wondering if I'm the only one... c'mon be truthful - you're not a true fan unless you are emotionally involved...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
At the end of last season, I too felt drained, tired, etc.

Now, however, it's like spring. There are new team members; there are new reasons to be hopeful.

I'm cautiously optimistic and just glad TDOS is over!!

I am really tired of all the stuff that has been written about the Kings. I kind of stopped writing back on the repetative comments upon the team chemistry recently.

And it did really pee me a lot when most of the sport writers were writing crap abt the Kings and all those preseason rankings. But not anymore. Becasue its showtime now. Our team will answer will baskets instead of words.

GO KINGSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Feh; I'm never anxious about the start of a season, at least not in a negative sense... As I always used to say to myself back during the "dark years," as of November 2nd, we're undefeated! (Y)

Go Kings!

Mr. S£im Citrus said:
Feh; I'm never anxious about the start of a season, at least not in a negative sense... As I always used to say to myself back during the "dark years," as of November 2nd, we're undefeated! (Y)

Go Kings!
I'm normally not anxious about regular season in and of itself. Unlike other teams' fans, I pay attention to the NBA during the regular season, and find it hard to be a fan otherwise... The anxiety is from seeing the Kings prove each season that it doesn't matter how good you were during the regular season blah blah blah....

I'm looking forward to this season. We're going to be a good playoff team, without all the baggage of being expected to be a championship contender. I'll be able to watch games to enjoy them again.

Am I anxious about this season? No. Let's be honest . . . expectations for the team are down, so I'm not holding my breath for an extended playoff run.

Like everybody else here, I'm eager to see how the new pieces fit. Will Ostertag be serviceable? Will Courtney Alexander's basketball acumen ever match his athleticism? Will Kevin Martin buck the historical Adelman "slapdown" and contribute as a rookie? Will the coach play more than 7 or 8 players?

Who knows the answers to those questions? But after 20 years of Kings fandom, I do know better than to get my hopes up.

And if I've learned anything, it's that the events of the last four years (war, terror, etc.) trump the importance of a bunch of overpaid ballers running up and down the hardwood.

Will the fans realize that they have a good thing going in Sacramento and to blame any of the players unfairly will mess it up?

Zaromas said:
Time to dig deep into "places you don't talk about at parties" ($1 to Col. Jessup) and talk about how apprehensive we all are about this upcoming season...

I'm tired. The emotional roller coaster this team has taken me through has me approaching apathetic status. The issues are more than well documented by this board as well as the media. Sure, most of the time you take what the media says with a grain of salt, but you have to be as cold-hearted as my ex- to let every grain bounce off of you.

The media is all about finding flaws and making drama out of everything. Some people like drama. For me, drama is inherent in being a Kings fan since '85. Losing is dramatic... Lotsa drama those first 13 years. Winning is dramatic.. plenty of drama these last 5 years too... The drama that kills me is the drama of expectations. It is hard, as any Red Sox fan can attest, to see your team get SO CLOSE only to come up short. Over. And. Over.

It would be different if the teams we lost to were teams we couldn't beat. But they weren't. The team we ended up not beating was ourselves. And it has never been because a lack of talent or ability. It has been an utter inability to win "the One that matters". Sure they win some that matter on the way, but when thew bullet hits the bone, those games really didn't matter, did they?

Regardless of this anxiety I will still watch every game available, get emotionally involved, and be the best Kings fan possible. I'm just soooooo tired...

Just wondering if I'm the only one... c'mon be truthful - you're not a true fan unless you are emotionally involved...
i dont know that i really have any anxieties about the upcoming season. im a bit worn out from all the rumors and exaggerations, but thats about it. im very excited about this season, and i think the kings are gonna do well. november 2nd is less than a month away now!!!

oh, and props on the few good men reference. i love that movie. :)

Last season seemed as if it came to an abrupt end. I remember feeling cheated, saying "this is it?.....this is the end of an era?" I felt that there should have been more....There is always going to be some anxiety, how could there not. But, we aren't rookies, most of us have been through years (20!) of this stuff. Its basketball, Kings basketball, our passion.

Am I an optimist? Most of the time. But I'm not a blind homer...at least I don't think so. I'm always going to be excited about a new season, but there are always concerns that one will have. I am concerned about rebounding (or really anything involving the "paint") but then again, that has been a concern of mine the last 6 years...:confused: ;)

Not me. I am an optimist and a blind homer :) That's why avoid some discussions around here sometimes, because of my one sided (Kings sided) views.

Anxiety? No, I've learned over the summer what true anxiety can be. I've also learned the hard way not to invest too much emotionally in any team. For the new season, I have no serious expectations, only hope - hope that this team will be entertaining, which is what it's really all about in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.