[Game] Kings @ Wizards - 11/28/16 - 4PT/7ET

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Kings go into Washington having won three of their last four games. They've got a real chance to get their first back-to-back wins.

I don't care what anyone else says ... I'm seeing improvement. I'm seeing more things to be hopeful about than things to be worried about. That doesn't mean I'm happy but I'm hopeful. Dave Joerger and the guys are reading from the same book and that's a big change from last year.

#GoKings

#SacramentoProud

#ILoveThisTeam

#FreeBarnes

Glenn

Hall of Famer
The team from day one has shown an ability to come back. They haven't won so much but I think that means the winning mentality is there. I don't know if Joeger has all his offense in but he sure as heck is catching on who to play and when.

Please no more Boogie and Kosta although I am not as against that as some. Never Lawson and Collison. It is huge that Omri can come in and play even when cold. He and Barnes ae a nice pair to have on a team. Not so much WCS but he has to get some minutes where they are available.

I like what is happening. and will eat whatever crow there is left over if we don't hit .500.

Larry89

Disgruntled Kings Fan
Kings better be prepared for this game, a true trap game if I've ever seen one. I don't think the Wizards are as bad as their record indicates.

Kings will be on the tail end of a back to back, the flight is short though (the wizards play in Washington D.C. , not the state of Washington :p).

John wall will test the energy of the Kings with his speed and continually test whoever is guarding him. He also runs a GREAT pick and roll with Marcin Gortat, whom although is getting up in age is a very underrated Player; moves around without the ball, sets good screens, good at boxing out and a very good defender and knows how to pick his seams in a pick and roll. Cousins better be ready to guard that, last time they met Cousins got absolutely demolished by Gortat. He reminds me alot of a Polish Karl Malone.

I believe they also start Markieff Morris who is a true stretch 4, it may not be wise to start Cousins + Koufos.

Beal also recently scored 42 points against the suns and is a very good shooter.

The Wizards bench is stated by one of their own teammates "One of the worst benches in the league" by Marcin Gortat, on the Contrary, the Kings have a very good energetic bench and it seems Casspi has had an emergence of sorts. Garrett Temple should also be familiar in guarding his old teammates. The Wizards bench is actually that bad.

tldr; Washington good in transition, guard the three, pick and roll will be a nightmare; our bench>their bench. Need to give a little bit more energy on the tail end of a back to back.

Last edited:

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Wizards aren't good, more of a disappointment than anything. This is a winnable game if you don't allow Wall & Beal to go bonkers on you, Porter can hurt you from deep as well if you give him enough looks. Maybe Marcus Thornton shows up against his former team?

The Wizards have been dealing with some internal strife, supposedly Beal and Wall don't quite get along and they both have been rather chippy with opposing teams this season. Beal was just fined $15k for choking Evan Fournier on Friday. Wall got into it earlier in the year with Marcus Smart.

I hope we can keep the mojo going and get this W. 18+ points from Collison Gay and Cousins seems to work pretty good.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Wizards aren't good, more of a disappointment than anything. This is a winnable game if you don't allow Wall & Beal to go bonkers on you, Porter can hurt you from deep as well if you give him enough looks. Maybe Marcus Thornton shows up against his former team?
The key is not letting both guys go off on you. If one does, you have Temple in your back pocket to make him have to work.

Yeah I'm not all that confident our backcourt won't get taken to the woodshed by Wall and Beal. Gortat has also frustrated Cousins in the past.

Collison
Temple
Gay
Casspi or Barnes
Cousins

To me that should be the starting lineup going forward.

Temple needs to start games and Affalo would get more touches and more importantly more space to operate with Boogie and/or Rudy out of the game.
It would also reunite Lawson, Afflalo, & Koufos on the bench who may have some chemistry left over from Denver.

EDIT: In fact, Lawson, Afflalo, & Koufos on the floor together with Gay & Cousins off the floor has a net rating of +11.7 points per 100 possessions.

Last edited:

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Collison
Temple
Gay
Casspi or Barnes
Cousins

To me that should be the starting lineup going forward.

Temple needs to start games and Affalo would get more touches and more importantly more space to operate with Boogie and/or Rudy out of the game.
Especially tomorrow when Temple can guard Wall.

It would also reunite Lawson, Afflalo, & Koufos on the bench who may have some chemistry left over from Denver.

EDIT: In fact, Lawson, Afflalo, & Koufos on the floor together with Gay & Cousins off the floor has a net rating of +11.7 points per 100 possessions.
That makes sense to me though I'm guessing the sample size is fairly small.

Collison works well with Gay & Cousins. He isn't ball dominant and is a solid third scorer. Temple and Barnes give two low usage defenders who can also hit an outside shot and pass the ball decently.

And Lawson pairs well with Afflalo & Koufos. He's more of a drive and kick guard. Koufos is a nice dump off option and Afflalo can hit from outside but would also be a bigger post up threat against 2nd units and withou Cousins & Gay clogging the paint. Casspi fits well with that group as well giving a balanced bench that can play at a higher pace.

This is a landmine game!

The Wizards are not as bad as their record suggests.
Just 2 days ago they killed the Magic (on the road) early in the game by forcing 8 TOs in the 1st Q!!
They've already beaten the Hawks, the Celtics & the Knicks at home, and we are on the road back-to-back...

We should really be carefull and serious about this one, or it hits us like a Wall (or a Gortat, which may prove more painfull...)

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
This is a landmine game!

The Wizards are not as bad as their record suggests.
Just 2 days ago they killed the Magic (on the road) early in the game by forcing 8 TOs in the 1st Q!!
They've already beaten the Hawks, the Celtics & the Knicks at home, and we are on the road back-to-back...

We should really be carefull and serious about this one, or it hits us like a Wall (or a Gortat, which may prove more painfull...)
The Wizards won that game by three points despite "killing" them with 8 forced 1st quarter turnovers.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The Wizards won that game by three points despite "killing" them with 8 forced 1st quarter turnovers.
Also not sure a win against the Magic can ever be considered a "killing" simply based on the fact that the Magic appear to have less of an idea of what they want to do than we do.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Also not sure a win against the Magic can ever be considered a "killing" simply based on the fact that the Magic appear to have less of an idea of what they want to do than we do.
and to add, the Kings managed to lose to the Magic so there's always that to look back to.

A long while since I felt confident but always hopeful. I've found that my analysis of chances before an upcoming game are not pertinent and certainly not a reliable basis for an accurate prediction. That said let's win this one tonight.

From NBA.com's power rankings, something to watch out for yet again:

The Kings would probably prefer to skip the first six minutes of every game. They've trailed after the first six minutes in 12 of their 17 games and they're the league's worst team in those six minutes, getting outscored by 24 points per 100 possessions (and allowing 123). Dave Joerger has used four different starting lineups in their last five games, but maybe DeMarcus Cousins is just slow to get going (at least defensively). He's a minus-56 in first quarters and a plus-72 otherwise. Monday's opponent (Washington) has been the league's best team in the first six minutes of the first.
Wondering if we'll see another lineup change tonight. Wiz tend to play more small ball and the Kings need to make getting back in transition the main concern.

Boogie is a superstar worthy for the first time in his career with 58% TS 1.2 assist to turnover and shooting 41% from 3 on. Totally boss. And for those who thought he would stop launching from deep with Karl getting the boot, oops on that one. :p . He's also made 15 out his last 25 three bombs for 60%!!!!

The real growth in Boogie's game is he is NOT traveling, NOT committing offensive fouls, NOT getting impatient as much throwing the ball where there is no space. This is what observers refer to when they say the game slows down when a player takes the next step in his evolution. This is a great development when the team stinks on defense, except for Garrett Temple who is great defender, Boogie, and Ty Lawson providing consistently good ball pressure. Koufos is a good position and vertical defender, but can't block a shot to save his life.

In particular I call to your attention our W vs the Raptors in which Boogie went 7 for 22 FGs. I have been harping on this for years. Off-nights are going to happen. No biggie. But when your best player is not on, and the opponent does effective job of loading up, you can't have said best player proactively lose the game for you. And too often the frustration of a poor scoring night would lead to frustration fouls and mindless turnovers. But look what happened here: Boogie was 4 assists and 2 turnovers and only 3 fouls. Not allowing his off-shooting to compound into more difficulties is major, and I would contend that his proponents and his critics are largely oblivious to this development, but it is a subtle thing that makes difference between winning and losing.

I would go as far to say never in his career did Boogie shoot below 33% FGs, have a 2:1 assist to turnover ratio, and the team win. And if it did happen before the number of times it did you can count on one hand. This is another mark of a superstar, that he can have an off-night but still enable the team to compete to respectable degree.

Last edited:
Boogie is a superstar worthy for the first time in his career with 58% TS 1.2 assist to turnover and shooting 41% from 3 on. Totally boss. And for those who thought he would stop launching from deep with Karl getting the boot, oops on that one. :p . He's also made 15 out his last 35 three bombs for 60%!!!!

The real growth in Boogie's game is he is NOT traveling, NOT committing offensive fouls, NOT getting impatient as much throwing the ball where there is no space. This is what observers refer to when they say the game slows down when a player takes the next step in his evolution. This is a great development when the team stinks on defense, except for Garrett Temple who is great defender, Boogie, and Ty Lawson providing consistently good ball pressure. Koufos is a good position and vertical defender, but can't block a shot to save his life.

In particular I call to your attention our W vs the Raptors in which Boogie went 7 for 22 FGs. I have been harping on this for years. Off-nights are going to happen. No biggie. But when your best player is not on, and the opponent does effective job of loading up, you can't have said best player proactively lose the game for you.

And too often the frustration of a poor scoring night would lead to frustration fouls and mindless turnovers. But look what happened here: Boogie was 4 assists and 2 turnovers and only 3 fouls. Not allowing his off-shooting to compound into more difficulties is major, and I would contend that his proponents and his critics are largely oblivious to this development, but it is a subtle thing that makes difference between winning and losing.

I would go as far to say never in his career did Boogie shoot below 33% FGs, have a 2:1 assist to turnover ratio, and the team win. And if it did happen before the number of times it did you can count on one hand. This is another mark of a superstar, that he can have an off-night but still enable the team to compete to respectable degree.
15 of 35 is NOT 60%...

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Boogie is a superstar worthy for the first time in his career with 58% TS 1.2 assist to turnover and shooting 41% from 3 on. Totally boss. And for those who thought he would stop launching from deep with Karl getting the boot, oops on that one. :p . He's also made 15 out his last 35 three bombs for 60%!!!!

In particular I call to your attention our W vs the Raptors in which Boogie went 7 for 22 FGs. I have been harping on this for years. Off-nights are going to happen. No biggie. But when your best player is not on, and the opponent does effective job of loading up, you can't have said best player proactively lose the game for you.

And too often the frustration of a poor scoring night would lead to frustration fouls and mindless turnovers. But look what happened here: Boogie was 4 assists and 2 turnovers and only 3 fouls. Not allowing his off-shooting to compound into more difficulties is major, and I would contend that his proponents and his critics are largely oblivious to this development, but it is a subtle thing that makes difference between winning and losing.

You covered everything in this sentence IMO. Off nights happen to every superstar player, the question here is what else can you do for me when the shots and calls aren't going your way? You help the team win in other facets of the game; rebound, defend, set solid screens, become a diversity to open up shots for your teammates.

Having said all that, his three point shooting is based off a 17 game sample, I don't think he can sustain this but it would be nice if he can hover around the mid 30's as far as percentage is concerned throughout the rest of the season. One thing I do not want to see moving forward is becoming heavily reliant on the jumpshot, an Auburn alumni said it best; "You don't live by the jumpshot, you die by the jumpshot". I suppose that quote goes out the window considering the last two champions have had elite three point shooting, but then again we are talking about players with proven pedigrees in winning and in the playoffs too, all time great shooters in the Bay Area and a potential HOF player in Kyrie coming into his own since the arrival of Bron.

I am very excited about this team. truly believe they will only continue to progress forward under coach Joerger.

I hope he continues to bring in Casspi off the bench and play in solid minutes. he COMPLETED sparled our team yesterday .

Let's go back to our first 6 minutes debacle. It has occurred too often and with different starting lineups all of which included Cuz. Come on Cuz, cause it to be different tonight.

I love Wall and Cousins but I'm pulling for Boogie tonight. Go Kings!

I believe the Kings win as long as:
1) Beal does not go off for 40+
2) Gortat does not get Boogie in foul trouble early.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Temple's defense has been elite the last few games. I'm struggling to think of a better perimeter defender that've had since Ron-Ron.

Hopefully he has another good performance against his old club.
Question now remains is whether he will be inserted in the game on a consistent basis earlier rather than having Ben come in over him first and then inserting him when the team is down 10+

You covered everything in this sentence IMO. Off nights happen to every superstar player, the question here is what else can you do for me when the shots and calls aren't going your way? You help the team win in other facets of the game; rebound, defend, set solid screens, become a diversity to open up shots for your teammates.

Having said all that, his three point shooting is based off a 17 game sample, I don't think he can sustain this but it would be nice if he can hover around the mid 30's as far as percentage is concerned throughout the rest of the season. One thing I do not want to see moving forward is becoming heavily reliant on the jumpshot, an Auburn alumni said it best; "You don't live by the jumpshot, you die by the jumpshot". I suppose that quote goes out the window considering the last two champions have had elite three point shooting, but then again we are talking about players with proven pedigrees in winning and in the playoffs too, all time great shooters in the Bay Area and a potential HOF player in Kyrie coming into his own since the arrival of Bron.
Boogie is in better shape than last season such that he has his legs under him like he hasn't always had. I think Joerger also does a better job of managing his minutes than Karl. This combination helps Boogie nail more of these long bombs. The thing is this shot is always there for him. Always. And he makes it easily. I am trying to think of who I'd rather shoot an open three than Boogie. Maybe Darren. But that's about it. The other thing is that he seems to do a pretty good job of knowing when to launch and when to pass it up. He launches when he is "feeling it" but most of the time I feel that his priority is to attack when there is a lane or slow-footed defender. Rarely have I felt that he has been "settling" for the three or broken a playset with quick hoist. As long as he continues this type of discretion, he's going to be lighting it up.