Kings will no longer have cheerleaders

People act like cheerleaders are being victimized or something. These girls volunteer their time to do this because they want to do it. Tired of these spineless organizations and businesses that let the minority voice dictate how they run things.

People act like cheerleaders are being victimized or something. These girls volunteer their time to do this because they want to do it. Tired of these spineless organizations and businesses that let the minority voice dictate how they run things.
We may be on the same side here. But you need to explain what you mean by "minority voice."

We may be on the same side here. But you need to explain what you mean by "minority voice."
People complaining on Twitter or whatever. Half the articles you see of people that are "outraged" over something are literally just 2 or 3 tweets that the "journalist" copy and pasted into an article to make people think that the public majority is offended over a certain action. If you polled just the general public, I can guarantee you that the majority of people would rather have regular cheerleaders at sporting events over co-ed hip hop dance groups or co-ed anything for that matter.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm appalled at how the dancers found out about this and I'm just as disgusted as I was when some idiot decided that giving the Kings the Midas touch was a good idea. The dance team has been a big favorite with fans for a lot of years. I'm firing off a letter to my ticket rep as soon as I can figure out how to say what I want to say without calling out a particular person within the organization whose fingerprints seem to be all over this.

The Kings are a business and I am a customer. I like the Cheerleaders. Why could they have not included them instead of firing them?

I like how an arbitrary decision by a table of suits in response to the alleged demand and trends of nothing at all is described as “evolution”. It makes it appear that this is an adapt or die decision. Vivek’s Kings have always said they want to be first on all these hot button issues. I suppose real or imagined. I guess the domino begins...or not.

Evolution would be the SKD team slowly becoming more “gender inclusive” over time. This is more properly described as “uprooting” and I doubt improving the fan experience was taken into account at all.

Last edited:
Spurs, Cavs and Wizards are going this route as well. I mean they were pretty much already a dance troupe for more than a couple decades now and not just some pom pom waving cheerleaders.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Eh. I’m in favor of no cheerleaders. It’s hard enough raising a daughter and I’m not sure what message cheerleaders sends to young minds. I get pumped up from the game. To each their own, I guess.
I can’t pretend to know as much as you, as I have no kids, but I do know my sister went to college on a full ride scholarship because she fell in love with cheerleaders and cheerleading as a baby

Families have been raising respectable women for decades with cheerleaders being a thing I dont think it sends any message directly or otherwise.
All well and good. I’m not gonna tell you I know the answers or that my way is the best. I’m a parent and I’m not afraid to admit I have no idea what I’m doing. Slab I’m happy for your sister. That’s great and awesome.

To me, cheerleaders can send a message that women are around to look good and be a sideshow. Not saying that’s true, but it carries that potential message. It doesn’t add anything to the experience for me personally so I don’t mind them getting rid of it.

The Kings are a business and I am a customer. I like the Cheerleaders. Why could they have not included them instead of firing them?
I just don't understand the end game. Are they trying to look like they're on the forefront of women's rights or something? These cheerleaders not only volunteer to do it because they want to do it but they volunteer a lot of hours in the community as well. You can't protect women from being objectified if they are volunteering to do it. I've never met a guy who was offended that he couldn't be a part of the Kings cheerleaders. It just doesn't make any sense.

Only thing I can think of is to compare it to the Superbowl halftime show. They know the NFL fans are going to watch the show regardless of who is playing at halftime so normally they have some terrible artist that 80% of NFL fans don't like and they do it to attract a different group of people to the show. Maybe the Kings are going after the social justice warrior group? I have no idea but they know that a large portion of their fan base is going to be irritated with this decision. They also know that almost no one is going to stop being a Kings fan because of it either.

All well and good. I’m not gonna tell you I know the answers or that my way is the best. I’m a parent and I’m not afraid to admit I have no idea what I’m doing. Slab I’m happy for your sister. That’s great and awesome.

To me, cheerleaders can send a message that women are around to look good and be a sideshow. Not saying that’s true, but it carries that potential message. It doesn’t add anything to the experience for me personally so I don’t mind them getting rid of it.
Everything you are saying could be applied to the new coed hip hop dance team.

Everything you are saying could be applied to the new coed hip hop dance team.
Maybe there isn't a huge difference between a coed hip hop dance team and a cheerleading team?

What do people think they're losing? Seems like it's mostly a rebranding. Or do people really miss some of these traditional dance moves?

Maybe there isn't a huge difference between a coed hip hop dance team and a cheerleading team?

What do people think they're losing? Seems like it's mostly a rebranding. Or do people really miss some of these traditional dance moves?
I think article mentioned that the hip hop group isn’t technically run by the kings. I believe kings dancers usually represent the kings at events along with dancing at games. To the dancers there’s a big difference. To some fans maybe not.

As I said previously, I don't care much for the dancers. But I do care that this was handled poorly by the Kings.
In pondering the reason for the change, there is always the wicked witch theory, whose reasons can't be understood with logic.
Another good insight is that they are trying to lure a younger demographic to G1C. That's certainly possible.
Two other good reasons could be:
1) Liability
2) Sexism
Liability because, even if the dancers are volunteers, as King's org volunteers, the Kings still have to pay their worker comp insurance. They are also more likely to face lawsuits from mistreated or injured or rejected dancers.
Sexism because cheerleaders/dancers reinforces stereotypes and gender roles about women being pretty and sexy, but not being true equals to men. All of which leads to discrimination against women. And more lawsuits.

I am NOT attempting to justify what the Kings did here.
I am attempting to focus on the most likely reasons for the poorly handled change.