Kings waive Louis King

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Both Woodard and Ramsey cleared waivers, so it wouldn't surprise me if McNair opted to bring back Jahmi'us to what is now (surprisingly) a team short on guards.

A bit surprising though as King played well in Stockton and seems to be the type of wing Monte likes. Before the trade I thought he might sign a standard deal with the Kings next year since (at the time) they were light on wings.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Man, bummer. Thought King showed some really valuable skills this summer. But maybe just suffered the Ramsey/Woodard fate where he just hasn't popped in any of his time with the big league club.
Yeah, I have to wonder how he's been looking in practice. Metu started out in pretty much the same exact position King was and is in the rotation now so it's not like these two-way guys are getting completely ignored.

Between this and Davion missing the Rising Stars game I'm wondering how serious his hand injury is. . .
Yes, this is a concern here. You hear "hand" and automatically the mind goes to a month long if not longer injuries. Hopefully not but they really need Lamb to come back soon if indeed true.

The Twitterverse has voices wondering if King’s representation didn’t might have requested this, seeing no path to playing time with the recent additions.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Sorry to see King go. I don't think he ever got a chance to show what he can do, which is strange since he played a position of need this year. He was the MVP in the championship game at summer league, and he played very well in the preseason. But after that, nothing. I suspect that the Kings either needed insurance at another position (possibly PG) or, they've targeted a player that's available, that they think has more long range potential. We'll probably find out soon.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Sorry to see King go. I don't think he ever got a chance to show what he can do, which is strange since he played a position of need this year. He was the MVP in the championship game at summer league, and he played very well in the preseason. But after that, nothing. I suspect that the Kings either needed insurance at another position (possibly PG) or, they've targeted a player that's available, that they think has more long range potential. We'll probably find out soon.
I suspect PG is a big need right now, as it looks like Davion may be out for a bit. Would not at all be surprised to see a two-way given to a young PG to play backup for a while (we don't have an open roster spot for a 10-day without cutting somebody).

In some ways, cutting King gives us a bit of clarity as to how the offseason is going to go. There was always that question of what we would end up doing with our two-ways next year, especially with two 2022 second round picks in the mix for the time being. Well, we have the answer on King. Still a ton of questions.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Like … Tyreke was good again before he got banned wasnt he? His second stint with us he was still injured (?) and seemed to be playing in quicksand but then went elsewhere and became a sharpshooter right?

Like … Tyreke was good again before he got banned wasnt he? His second stint with us he was still injured (?) and seemed to be playing in quicksand but then went elsewhere and became a sharpshooter right?
thats my understanding, I know we’ll have a glut of guards once their all healthy but as I recall he and Fox played a year each, different teams, under Calipari. Could be an interesting fit.

Was he good again because of the "supplements" he was taking which lead to his ban?

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
He was on drugs but the drugs he was on aren’t exactly the kind you’d use to boost sports performance if you catch my drift.
Yep.

Tyreke Evans Dismissed from NBA | HoopsHype

– via Twitter AlexKennedyNBA
Alex Kennedy: Tyreke Evans tested positive for “drugs of abuse.” According to ESPN (when Chris Andersen was dismissed for this), “The drugs on that list are amphetamine and its analogs, which include methamphetamine; cocaine; LSD; opiates, including heroin, codeine and morphine; and PCP.”

I’m sorry to see King get released, as I thought he had potential. But if I’m the Kings GM, clearly we need another PG for those times (like now) when Fox and Davion are not both available. DDV has some of those skills, but he’s still rehabbing his way back to the game.
If King becomes a major player for some other team, good for him and them. But right now he’s not showing he has what it takes to play in the real NBA.