[Game] Kings v. Suns 11/19/13

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
KingsFans.com Gameday 2013-2014 Edition
Game 11
Sacramento Kings v. Phoenix Suns

By Stephen Tetsu, Resident Not-Steven Moffat

(Editor’s Note: I was busy with stuff for my move and completely forgot there was a game tonight. So I'm sorry for how short this post is going to be and how late it’s coming up.)

Another game, another loss. But is anyone really surprised? I haven’t been keeping track but I’m pretty sure that aside from the home opener, every time I’ve predicted a victory, the game ends in utter defeat. What’s a poor Kingsfans.com content creator to do but raise a vindicative fist to the skies and curse the gods for making him a Kings fan?

I have to give our team credit, though. At least we keep finding interesting ways to lose and every potential blowout has managed to become an interesting game for at least a brief moment of the season. If you had Travis Outlaw as your player of the game, give yourself a big pat on the back. If you had ten games as the length of time into the season before Kings fans would start calling for Malone’s head, congratulations, you’ve won your office pool.

I personally have no problem with Coach Malone benching all of his starters after their ridiculously horrendous start to the third quarter. That sort of lackadaisical effort was commonplace during this franchise’s dark times and I have no issue with the coach trying to rid our team of that bad habit. Perhaps he should have tried putting Demarcus back into the game in the fourth quarter when momentum started shifting back to the Memphis Grizzlies but aside from that, the people deriding Malone for benching his starters should probably take a couple chill pills and lie down on the couch. Things will work out.

I know we’re all impatient such as is the wont of sports fans but the rebuilding of our franchise is going to take time. Rome wasn’t built in a day. It’s going to be a while before we can purge all the bad habits built up by the years of mismanagement, cheapskate owners, and coaches who had trouble tying shoes and chewing gum at the same time.

Stat Watch 2013
0-
Minutes played by the starting lineup in the 4th quarter.

Observations
  • I can’t recall the last time I’ve ever felt as much animosity towards a player on the Kings as I have for Marcus Thornton. I’m sure he’s a good guy in person but everything the man does or doesn’t do just seems to pee me off.
  • Hamady Ndiaye played the most minutes of his career and came away looking alright. Sure, he doesn’t seem to be particularly good at much of anything but that won’t him stop him from giving 100% effort on the court whenever he’s out there. I’d certainly prefer to see him get minutes instead of having to watch Chuck Hayes lumber around under the hoop.
  • Luc Mbah a Moute got the “surprise” start at the small forward spot and had a relatively solid game despite not really having that great of a game statistically. Having a guy who knows his limits, plays defense, and boxes out on almost every rebound attempt is a welcome difference from the Stinky Fish and his tendency to try to play hero ball every time he touched the ball.
  • Greivis had another bad effort on the defensive end against yet another fast point guard. This wasn’t entirely unexpected. What has been unexpected is the fact that Greivis tries to crowd these fast guards every time they have the ball, thus giving them the opportunity to simply drive around him using their speed. It’s a stupid mistake to make for a smart player.
  • Rabble rabble rabble should have paid Tyreke
  • rabble rabble rabble should have played Jimmer
  • rabble rabble rabble playoffs
  • Kosta Koufos has the most unfortunate hair in the NBA. You're losing it buddy, why don't you just shave it off? From one follicle-challenged man to another, just let it go.

Today’s Game

Tonight’s game brings us a matchup between a team that sucks at tanking and a team that just sucks whether they are or are not tanking. In other words, things could get ugly.

The Suns are the feel-good story of the NBA but a big three of Eric Bledsoe, Markieff Morris, and whichever Plumlee they have on their roster is only going to take them so far. I'm sure their fans are pleasantly surprised and happy about their team's success but considering that all signs pointed to their front office doing everything it possibly could to get the number one pick in this year's draft, this early season run of wins might set them back years in their rebuilding effort. I mean, while things are all sunshine and lollipops right now, what happens next year when the Suns pick James McAdoo rather than Randle and regress back into suckitude? I suppose their rebuild could come in full next year but the taste of crap is made ever worse by the trace of honey on the back of one’s tongue.

Lost in the story of the Suns is the fact that 2013 fifth overall pick Alex Len has thus far been a big fat turd on the carpet. Only playing two games in the season, during which he didn’t look all that ready for the NBA, Len is now out indefinitely with a “swollen ankle”.

Sure Bledsoe has been fantastic for the Suns but the bigger story for them has been the development of Markieff Morris as the frontrunner for sixth man of the year. Sure it took a while but the stretch forward out of Kansas is finally starting to produce for Phoenix. Try not to get him confused with Marcus, who is also on the Suns and also producing, albeit not at the clip his brother is.

Channing Frye is still on the Suns and still starting and still shoot threes like he thinks he’s Larry Bird. Unfortunately for him, he’s not, shooting only .258% from beyond the arc. I don’t think that’s gonna stop him from having another spate of hot shooting against us though. We are the Kings after all.

Are Slovenians just genetically predisposed to being injured? As we all well know, Beno had quite a few visits to the training room in his time on the Kings. Goran Dragic seems to have followed suit, having missed a lot of this season with injuries, including an ankle injury sustained against us in the preseason. While those games don’t count, injuries sure as hell do. Maybe Tyreke is half-Slovenian.

Matchups
Demarcus versus the Suns collection of random big men: If there ever was a night for Cuz to light ‘em up, it would be tonight.
Greivis versus bad defense: Bledsoe is dangerous. I am concerned.
Slamson versus the Suns Mascot: What the hell does a gorilla have to do with the sun?

Predictions and Closure
Oh boy. I honestly do not know. If we’re going to have a chance at Parker, these are the sorts of games that need to slip out of our fingers. But since we’re the Kings, I’m predicting that we come away with the victory, 99-98. I’ve been wrong the entire season, so we’re probably losing and losing badly.

Go Kings.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
How one could be distracted from knowing the Kings schedule simply because of a move across the ocean is beyond me. :confused:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
If Boogie stays out of foul trouble he should demolish their big men And of course if our guys feed him and don't **** it up.

On the other hand I have no idea at all how our guards deal with Bledsoe. The only even possibility is IT on one of his missions. Quick somebody tell him that Bledsoe called the Kings Boogie and the Seven Dwarves.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
If Boogie stays out of foul trouble he should demolish their big men And of course if our guys feed him and don't **** it up.
Plumlee has been surprisingly good for them inside but that's hopefully not going to be enough to compensate for the other guys all being the ones who let Boogie set career-highs every time he played the Suns.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Plumlee has been surprisingly good for them inside but that's hopefully not going to be enough to compensate for the other guys all being the ones who let Boogie set career-highs every time he played the Suns.
Plumlee has been surprisingly good for them inside, but if Miles Plumlee and the three chuckateers can stop DeMarcus Cousins I'll eat my hat.

Now they might be able to do it Atlanta style. Just triple team him and giggle as the rest of the team tries to shoot, dribble, or just not trip over their shoelaces and fall on their faces. But 1 on 1? Even 1 1/2 on 1? No.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Nice post again......if the Suns go out and work harder than us, Malone might blow a vein in his neck. Suns are kind of athletic....watch out....just saying. And before I forget, Ray McCallum please.

Bledsoe is actually not a lock to be playing, as he's dealing with a bruised shin. if he's out and the Kings still lose, I'm officially starting to watch College games for the first time since the 07 draft class.

On the other hand I have no idea at all how our guards deal with Bledsoe. The only even possibility is IT on one of his missions. Quick somebody tell him that Bledsoe called the Kings Boogie and the Seven Dwarves.
Our guards may have caught a break. It appears Bledsoe may not play

i expect a breakout game from Ben and a big game from Cuz. i expect little to no production from the rest of the team besides maybe a 15-18pt output from Isaiah