[Game] Kings v. Rockets - Wednesday, Oct. 18 - 7 PT

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Another season, another opening night. What does this mean? On a personal level, it means a trek down the mountain to join with family and friends to watch the Kings face the Rockets. It also means the POSSIBILITY that I will post some pictures from the game. No promises, however. I just recently got my very first cell phone and I'm not quite sure how to do everything. One good thing is I'm sure my two granddaughters will be more than willing to show their old granny how to work these newfangled gadgets. But, enough about me.

The Kings in October 2017 are bringing something different to the court. And, hopefully, they're leaving something behind forever. I'm gonna kick the elephant out of the room right away and just say that as much as I loved DMC, I'm glad all the drama surrounding him is gone. I'll be watching TEAM basketball again, instead of a bunch of guys circled around one dominant player.

Okay, that's out of the way and I personally don't plan on talking about it any more. This is a new season, a new team with some new exciting players, and I've got more hope and excitement going into this game than I've had in a very long time. It's not about wins - at least not right now. It's about those key words I love to use - heart, hustle, effort and energy. I know I'll see all of those.

I have another conundrum. I don't own a jersey from any of our current players. At this point, I may not buy one. If anything, I may just get one with #21 on it. You can never go wrong with the classics. ;)

This will be only my second trip to G1C. It's still foreign to me, almost like going to an away game back in the day when Kings fans outnumbered the locals. I hope to be able to get down the hill more this season. I want to feel as at home in the new arena as I did at Arco. Hopefully I live long enough. :p

I have high hopes for Fox, Mason and Bogs. They seem to have that spark, that hunger. Bogs brings the extra bonus of being a winner and knowing what it feels like, even if it was overseas. Winning is winning.

As for the others? The jury is still out for me on Papa, Buddy, and Skal. I'm hesitant about WCS, but hope he can get his head on straight. I've said it in other threads, but I'm beginning to fear he may be this team's Gerald Wallace. He has the talent but he just doesn't seem to have the focus. I hope it doesn't take moving to another team to get it.

For the first time in the 2017-2018 season, I am proud once again to say...

I LOVE THIS TEAM!

Go Kings! Or, in Serbian, Napred Kraljevi!!

We can beat Houston. I don't rate their off season moves at all and they'll be working their way into building chemistry etc.

Would be a great way to start, future is bright

We can beat Houston. I don't rate their off season moves at all and they'll be working their way into building chemistry etc.

Would be a great way to start, future is bright
Well any NBA team can beat any NBA team on any given night. The Warriors did lose to us and the Lakers last year.

But let's not pretend like we're anywhere close to Houston from a talent perspective. Odds are they are going to beat us and beat us bad. Doesn't mean it WILL happen, but we should brace for very few wins this season while these young guys take a few years to figure it out.

Personally, I'm going to find enjoyment this year by (hopefully) seeing progression from our young guys.

I'm interested to see how these guys face adversity. The losses are going to come by the handfuls so I'll be watching to see who continues to put forth the effort and who gives up like the players of seasons past. Who will continue to improve their game and who will just lug it out and wait for things to magically change the next season.

All most of us just want to see is effort.

I'l be there too, VF21. I'll be on the concourse I n the ADA seats, 109, with my red walker behind my seat. Say hello if you go by.

My son and I are looking forward tothe game. Saw the guys n the first preseason but this is the real thing! I wish good health to out guys and look for a memorable game. I want Joerger and Divak to look good.

gunks

Hall of Famer
I dig that Fox is going to match up with CP3 in his first real NBA minutes.

Not expecting a win, but I'm hoping we make a fun game of it!

Let the Fox Era begin!

This guy is going be spectacular just wait and see. I said I think De'Aaron will be every bit a "franchise player" as our previous "franchise player" less the baggage with more wins, thrills, efficiency and leadership. The enthusiasm with Fox has been somewhat tempered by the ankle injury in Vegas then the fall in pre-season. That is fine. Let him come in slightly under the radar. I think it is going to very difficult to keep this guy off the floor. Even when not making shots, he is going to a positive contributor with his great anticipation and hustle on D and ability to get into the lane and push in the transition.

And when you start him off against back-ups he will be able to build his confidence against guys he is bigger than or faster than or both.

As far as Game 1, I don't see this as "terrible opponent" like Iced E. May as well get a stiff test early on and see where we are. This opponent does everything the Kings want to do only better, probably far better. So this will be a mirror to see how far they are from where they want to be. The goal should be to be within 10 points or less in the 4th quarter then hope the frenzy of the crowd and the newness of the Rockets can be exploited in crunch time.

Three Pre-Game Questions:

• Did Buddy improve his D this off-season? Harden is the ultimate test. I think Buddy looks more engaged defensively in pre-season, better close outs and better job getting over screens, let's see how responds against the best SG in the game.
  • Who starts at SF? I would not be surprised to see Jackson or Malachi over Temple. I think one of these neophytes is on the floor with veterans like Z-Bo and Hill they can pick their spots a little more. If they struggle they can be subbed out around 6:00 of the first quarter. Temple can be a stabilizing influence to Boggy and Fox in the second unit so I anticipate Temple will come off the bench.
  • Can Willie match up to even against Clint Capella? Clint Capella is everything the Kings would like Willie to be but isn't. There's no reason Willie cannot be as effective as Capella, except for the fact he is just NOT good enough. I don't think Willie possess the fundamentals (physical) or tenacity (mental) to produce at a level commensurate with his draft status or expectation. Simple as that. No reason to get fancier with the analysis! But if the Kings are to have any chance to be competitive against the Rockets, Willie has to battle to even with Capella in terms of defense, rebounding and scoring impact.
Despite his strong showing towards the end of last year, I have VERY little confidence in Willie's ability to put together anything consistent resembling steady starter level production. If we are going to win on Wednesday, I would dare say Willie would have to "shock" me with the quality of his play. Stranger things have happened but I will believe it only when I see it.

One thing I will add about Willie is he is at his best on lobs. He did not have Hill or Fox on the floor with him often in the pre-season which limited his lob attempts. In ideal vision of who Willie can be, I see him as better Rudy Gobert offensively and lesser version defensively. Where their skills intersect is as superior lob targets that force the D to rotate and collapse and create space for driving lanes and space for shooters.

Last edited:
Its going to be interesting to see how the Refs call the game. Harden lives at the line . I am hoping the calls are a little better than we saw in preseason when it was open season on fouling Fox when he went in the paint.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I'd just like to see the Kings play up to their ability. How about staying below 14 turnovers in the first game? Is that within the realm of possibility?

It's hard to imagine how Zach and Carter play in a game of this pace. I'm going to be looking to see how Joerger intermingles the youngins with the old guys. Should be interesting.

Can't wait for the season to begin!

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Its going to be interesting to see how the Refs call the game. Harden lives at the line . I am hoping the calls are a little better than we saw in preseason when it was open season on fouling Fox when he went in the paint.
well the NBA did implement the "Harden rule" so that ought to count for something, no?

I’m a hardcore Kings fan, but this season as up appears now might be a sludge.. Not just the losing, but the prospects maybe not showing to our expectations.. just creates negativity and division.. I might watch less Kings basketball this year, and that might be a healthy thing (I get too invested)

At seasons end, hopefully a good pick and feeling satisfied that we have three positions covered going forward

I can't stand the way Harden gets to the line. NBA needs to implement a policy that if offensive player initiates the contact then its a no call. Hate the special treatment Harden gets where he throws himself into defenders every play for a free trip to the line. Its the worst part of the NBA game in my opinion and Jarden is the poster boy of this.

Edit: just learned of the Harden rule. Can't think of another rule change more welcomed than this. Good job NBA

Last edited:
I can't stand the way Harden gets to the line. NBA needs to implement a policy that if offensive player initiates the contact then its a no call. Hate the special treatment Harden gets where he throws himself into defenders every play for a free trip to the line. Its the worst part of the NBA game in my opinion and Jarden is the poster boy of this.

Edit: just learned of the Harden rule. Can't think of another rule change more welcomed than this. Good job NBA

I watched a Rockets preseason game and they talked about it and the very next play he got hit, took like 4 steps, and got continuation. We'll see how much they stick to it.

Buddy can make plenty of shots when the bright lights aren't on, but then the game starts and he starts building brick houses o_O
Well unless last year post trade was a fluke I'd have to disagree. The coaching staff needs to focus more on getting him easier shots. Too many times in the preseason did his teammates look for him to create and just stood around as 2-3 defenders hovered over him.

I’m a hardcore Kings fan, but this season as up appears now might be a sludge.. Not just the losing, but the prospects maybe not showing to our expectations.. just creates negativity and division.. I might watch less Kings basketball this year, and that might be a healthy thing (I get too invested)

At seasons end, hopefully a good pick and feeling satisfied that we have three positions covered going forward
Every loss improves the pick, every sign of development improves long term outlook.

All you can ask is a couple of these young guys look pretty good.

Ideally we have a hidden all star and at least a long term rotation player or two here today.

Half of the kids will probably be gone in two years.