[Game] Kings v. Cavaliers - 1/13/17 - 7:30PT/10:30ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Starting this just a tad early because I have power - at least for now. It's been interesting up here in the forest. Snow, rain, sleet, snow over icy roads, melting ice and snow, trees down, power lines down. I've lived up here for over 20 years and this series of storms is second to the worst only because we were spared the 4 to 5 feet of snow we could have had if the snow level had stayed below 4000 ft.

- - -

Now, about the game. It's Lebron James. I was at Arco the night he played there for the first time in his career. I haven't seen him in person since, but I don't really have to. It's Lebron James.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Game ain't til tomorrow but I'd figure I'd revive a little something for at least a game as a New Year's present.

The View from the Other Side (AKA Everyone Loves the Bobe)
The following has been taken from DetroitBadBoys.com

11:03
We better be able to beat a team who starts the Tolliverse at PF
I love the dude, but he should not be a starter in the NBA.

6:33
This game scares me.

7:41
Tolliverse is about to go off on us

Garrett Temple looks like Denzel Valentine
Also Leuer isn’t playing so Tolliver won’t go off.

7:44
So this is going to be the game where Cousins hits like 5 3s on us?

7:47
Cousins has a weird body

7:48
It looks like he is a taller, fatter Allen Iverson

7:51
I want to see Boogie hit those shots over 7'4
Boban isn’t quick enough to handle Cousins but his wingspan might negate some of it.

Boogie is so gd talented

I really miss the Tolliverse...
Ish is probably the only guy who plays off of the bench like that dude…maybe Beno would/did…
Just love his hustle and passion. Seemed like a great guy too.

7:52
I like Dave Joerger a lot
Think he’s a good coach

7:55
What is up with Dre throwing a hip into every driver. You square up. He's been doing it forever. He's lucky they don't call it every time
Most NBA players go a career without doing that.
That’s why I question coaching and call Dre kid gloves. EIther noone coaches him or he’s super soft and just refuses to be coached.

8:03
Koufos is a perfect opponent for Boban. LIke a smaller version of him .

8:03
I can't take Koufas seriously
any player besides Manu whose balding but can still ball?

8:07
and boban is out
is stan idiot on purpose?

8:12
Finally playing some playoff basketball.
About time to go on a run.

8:14
This feels so good
Though Boogie is probably going to wreck anyone out there

8:15
THIS IS THE FUTURE
and it feels so good.

8:18
The Bobe! Our bench is superior to these people. Our team runs deep, so deep, puts the Kings to sleep.
We have a good team. I think we are running on all cylinders now, for better or for worst and it looks like for the better.

8:19
One thing I that feel isn’t emphasized enough is how Boogie is the worst nickname in the history of nicknames.

8:22
Hooray Tolliver!
You took Ellensen to Tolliversity on that one.

8:28
The Kings are really sloppy with the ball

8:30
So glad we have Leuer now instead of Tolliver
Anthony tries hard but he’s super streaky.

8:30
Man...
..another game where we’re playing to the opposition’s level

8:31
Cousins is coasting back on offense, so Dre is allowed to gamble for some steals in the backcourt

8:33
I think I see what Stan is doing with Boban
Boban wins the match-up against almost any backup center by a light year. Against a nimble starter though, it could be an issue. Baynes is fleet footed enough to stay with him.

8:36
Dre is doing an amazing job on Boogie

8:38
I wouldn't say amazing since Boogie has 15 or so points on 5-6 shots, but Dre has been the overall better player so far.

8:40
Boogie is just an amazing player
Dre is the heart and soul of this team. If he keeps his energy next half we will win this easily.

8:40
Boban was 4,4 in 4 minutes
Baynes is just terrible. He must know if Stans out doing coke off a stripper. Because baynes is terrible and boban is hot so it’s the only logical explanation

8:42
How was the first half guys?
I missed it, but I like seeing a lead, and even better an opponent under 50pts!!

8:44
The Bobe is going to make us a 2nd round playoff team and ECF contender!
He’s a rebound a minute guy.

8:48
need baynes out there when boogie is out, boban isnt going to keep up with him at all
but it’s cool we’re seeing boban at all

8:57
Are Andre hooks becoming a legit weapon?
He’s been hitting them more regularly the last few games

8:58
12 techs in 37 games
dayum, it’s like Sheed only you can’t do that anymore without killing your team as your best player doing that

9:02
This team is playing so well right now. I thin we will beat either Utah or Golden State

9:03
I can't help but feel bad for Cousins.
I mean, he’s definitely flawed and doesn’t help his case. But it’s always sad to see a talented player wasting away on a crappy team.

9:04
Andre is really protecting the rim tonight
He’s not afraid of no Boogie.

9:04
It sure is fun watching DMC remonstrate with the officials
Go big guy, tell em how you really feel!

9:06
How is that not a technical on Rudy Gay? He picked up the sweeper and threw it down.

9:07
hey it's leon from curb yr enthusiasm
whooooo tolliverse oh wait he not our guy anymore
boooooo tolliverse!

9:10
Kings have a tech yet?
It’s kind of the only suspenseful thing in this game.

9:14
Sacramento's 3pt shooting has kept this game from getting really really ugly.
And some crappy foul calls, of course.

9:14
Maybe play some defense again guys?

9:17
oh tolliverse why u gotta b like dat
oh well, get it going, the trick ball don’t work if you get nothing but net

9:18
koufos wants none of the boban
koufos is a smart man

9:18
Can we ever just put a team away?

9:19
Rudy continuing to give Gay a bad name…

9:20
Rudy Gay. 7 TOs. 8FGA. 7Pts.

Possibly the worst performance I've seen from a guy not named Josh Smith.

Josh generally didn't break mops or blow his cool
only blew fans’ minds

9:21
rudy's got 5 fouls, cousins won't shut his mouth
I think Detroit gots this so long as they don’t take it for granted

9:22
Remember when Ty Lawson was an NBA-level player?
God, he looks just awful. And it would stand out more if Rudy Gay weren’t playing.

9:25
might wanna bring in some starters stan
this isn’t working like we planned

9:25
This lineup needs to go before they blow this game

9:26
Boban to the rescue

9:26
Let's no blow this one please…

9:27
And here we go...
Yeah take out Boban, SVG. Brilliant.

9:28
Getting killed by Anthony Tolliver. Yup.

9:28
Wow
please don’t blow this lead guys

9:29
THE BOBE iS A STAR!
man, the team is coming together. when you get a Giant with a jump shot, you are aces and going places. AD with the swat!

9:30
Andre playing a great game
Without big numbers

9:31
Andre Drummond has been a madman protecting the rim today

9:33
Casspi is such a bum.
Can’t let that buffoon score

9:34
good foul because it didn't become and-1
koufos is driving people nuts out there

9:35
Overdribblin Reggie jackson
Now we’re getting killed by Kosta ****ing Koufos…

9:35
Reggie just has that sloppiness gene
Can’t stand how careless he is with the ball. It’s like a habit. He like thinks he’s a kyrie with his handle. But he ain’t close

9:36
feels like we are gonna loose this
If I have have to blame it on someone
Morris and Tolliver

9:37
Efff. Every game of ours ends up being a nail biter down the stretch these days it seems
I’ll take it so long it’s another W

9:40
The weak ass calls the kings have gotten on shots 7 times tonight I have yet to see recipricated once.

9:41
Goaltending but I'll take it
how many blocks by dre now?

9:42
what does boban need to do, to deserve more playing time?
can he do anything? I guess 20 rebounds in 20 minutes is not enough, but what is enough?

oh my gaaahhhhh

where has this dre been? 7 blocks?!?
is this like his quota refill so he can go another 6 games without one

9:43
Stan has completely checked out of this game.
Is he not aware that they’ve blown a 17 point lead and that nothing is working. Has he called a time out?

OH REGGIE!!!! That was a Curry 3!

REGGIE!!!
That was fearless

How does Baynes get block on that? I have never seen somebody struggle to finish around the basket at his size as much as he does

9:44
booger still whining about fouls

9:44
Reggie giveth and Reggie taketh away

9:46
i'm going to be so bummed if we lose this

9:46
Such a frustrating quarter
Why has SVG gone away from Boban? I get that Baynes has been a warrior for us in the past, but he doesn’t have it lately. Boban would legitimately outplay him right now.

9:47
I've not been this mad at a game all year.
I truly believe we’ve severely outplayed the kings tonight. This is so damn sickening

9:48
Mr. 4th Quarter is revving up!

9:48
baynes wheren't even a factor in euroleauge
Boba was one of MVP’s in that leauge, and according to svg baynes is better? whf am I missing here.

9:49
Nice ****ing travel by Cousins that once again wasn’t called. Just give him a ****ing foul on top of it.

Temple has had no problem scoring on kcp
Sad

ball don't lie boogie
that’s the basketball gods tellin you to hush

KCP fell asleep, there.
temple capitalized w/ a 3

9:50
booo basketball gods
i’ll hush now til conclusion

9:50
Are you kidding me?
That’s game.

9:51
come on man!!!

I knew this was going to be one of those ****ing games where Cousins hits 5 3s for the first time in his life.

Reggie is not a clutch free throw shooter
He missed big ones last year too.

9:53
Reggie and Marcus Morris just not good enough today
They cost the team the win. Net negative for both. Sad because Andre Tobias and kcp were darn good.

SMH. If we lose this… lose lead woth 2 mins to go in 4th. Ugh. Not looking good

54% from 3PT
Hard to win when your opponent shoots like that and outrebounds you as well.

everybody raving about drummond defence
but he is the worst in the team in +- at -12. how can that be with that great defence?

9:54
Wow...and I was just about to say that this team had started to turn the season around.
****ing pathetic. Back to being losers.

Very, very, very bad loss.
"Season defining win at Portland!"
Or "season defining loss at Sacramento!"?
Or just a +/- .500 team that is playing for the 6-11 seed in the East?
I’m going with the latter.
Van Gundy was horrid this game. Did he not see how useless Baynes was? Did he not worry that Reggie passed the ball possibly fewer than five times the whole game?

Bad loss
This one hurts

9:55
Well that sucks big time...
Back to being depressing…

What I didn't miss
Is that when things were going well for us the refs we’re not giving us an honest whistle. Slowly but surely it kept the game close.
It continued as the Kings made their run and no foul was called around the basket ever on the kings. This takes away a teams confidence. Yes the kings played better down the stretch but the officials decided this game and I have never said that on this board ever. There were so many completely missed blatant shooting fouls on the kings and so many questionable calls on the pistons when this game was being decided.

9:57
I think I’m done with the season at this point. SVG’s offense is so boring. No innovation, no in-game adjustments, no play calls when it was obvious we were struggling on offense. The only chance we have at salvaging the season is a trade and I can’t see that happening right now.

10:02
You're welcome, Kings fans. The Pistons are here to help any time you'd like a brief reprieve from your franchise's eternal crippling despair.

10:03
This game was not about the refs.
Being outscored 57-38 in the second half, allowing 54% from 3, having a point guard whose contract reads that he must dribble for a minimum of fifteen seconds per possession, and having a coach who seemed unaware that he was working today is a much more convincing explanation.

10:06
Read it how you want. I think the pistons had the best positive energy I have seen this season.
In the first half. I think that Boogies awkward rim attacks where he didn’t get calls decided this game. It struck the officials guilt nerve.
Yes Reggie went bad Reggie late, but momentum is a real thing and when you can’t get a FT when you’re clearly hacked in the paint on the shot 10+ times and the kings are gently bumped to the FT line multiple times. it was the refs.

10:10
Good teams don't blow 17 point leads to opponents with losing records because a few calls might have gone against them.
The solution to this team is not to get "better reffing". I read this complaint in virtually every game thread. My guess is that about 29 other NBA fan bases see the same thing in regards to their teams.
Unless you are positing a league-wide conspiracy to kneecap the Detroit Pistons, it is very, very unlikely that they are screwed by the refs nearly every night, turning a 48 win team into a 36 win team.

10:37
Van Gundy still can't coach
What a game from Dre though.

5:32
Man, I’ve barely watched any Pistons games this season. I tuned in last night and it was something like 70-50 for us and Tobias Harris was dunking and hitting 3’s, and I turned it off. WHA HAPPEN?!

6:58
SVG is a horrible coach
If he can’t find five guys to hold an 18 point lead in the 4th quarter, he is a crap coach.
If the boys ain’t passing and are instead playing hero ball, yank them of the friggin floor Stan!
He is a loser. This team sucks.
SVG the coach needs to go. The players are simply not responding to his coaching.

7:04
I am Officially Out on SVG
When you watch a guy coach away a certain victory, and then in the post game presser he’s finding all sorts of effort related arguments, (it’s always how hard they played to Stan) but you saw the other coach out scheme you and steal your victory, well, that grows old very fast. This might be the least enjoyable Piston team to watch in the last 20 years. The coach doesn’t know how to use the roster, and he’s built it himself. He’s not going anywhere, so get a chew toy and clamp down. It’s going to be a miserable finish and a dog of a year next year until they ditch Van Gundy. The game has long ago passed him by. We lose to everyone, good and bad teams, so I am not sure why anyone sits out. But there is Stan, desperate for post offense and barely playing Boban, never playing Henry, and allowing Reggie to dribble the air out of the ball, night in and out. SIGH.

Always amazed how frustrated fans of franchises can be, which are actually in a really good spot.
Drummond is 23 and has lots of room to grow. Jackson is not my favourite PG, but he is big and can be a game changer. I as a Kings fan would love a supporting cast with Jon Leuer, Marcus Morris, Tobias Harris, Ish Smith and KCP.
To me the Pistons look like 2 seasons and maybe a decent player away from making some noise. SVG needs to work on Jacksons ego a bit, to bring him down to a more team friendly play style, they need to keep developing Drummond and Johnson, but the future looks pretty bright in Detroit.

Last edited:
Being outscored 57-38 in the second half, allowing 54% from 3, having a point guard whose contract reads that he must dribble for a minimum of fifteen seconds per possession, and having a coach who seemed unaware that he was working today is a much more convincing explanation.
Obviously SVG was daydreaming about his trip to Kinko's back in the day and counting his money:)

Game ain't til tomorrow but I'd figure I'd revive a little something for at least a game as a New Year's present.

Garrett Temple looks like Denzel Valentine
Also Leuer isn’t playing so Tolliver won’t go off.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

What I didn't miss
Is that when things were going well for us the refs we’re not giving us an honest whistle. Slowly but surely it kept the game close.
It continued as the Kings made their run and no foul was called around the basket ever on the kings. This takes away a teams confidence. Yes the kings played better down the stretch but the officials decided this game and I have never said that on this board ever. There were so many completely missed blatant shooting fouls on the kings and so many questionable calls on the pistons when this game was being decided.

9:57
I think I’m done with the season at this point. SVG’s offense is so boring. No innovation, no in-game adjustments, no play calls when it was obvious we were struggling on offense. The only chance we have at salvaging the season is a trade and I can’t see that happening right now.

10:02
You're welcome, Kings fans. The Pistons are here to help any time you'd like a brief reprieve from your franchise's eternal crippling despair.

10:06
Read it how you want. I think the pistons had the best positive energy I have seen this season.
In the first half. I think that Boogies awkward rim attacks where he didn’t get calls decided this game. It struck the officials guilt nerve.
Yes Reggie went bad Reggie late, but momentum is a real thing and when you can’t get a FT when you’re clearly hacked in the paint on the shot 10+ times and the kings are gently bumped to the FT line multiple times. it was the refs.

10:10
Good teams don't blow 17 point leads to opponents with losing records because a few calls might have gone against them.
The solution to this team is not to get "better reffing". I read this complaint in virtually every game thread. My guess is that about 29 other NBA fan bases see the same thing in regards to their teams.
Unless you are positing a league-wide conspiracy to kneecap the Detroit Pistons, it is very, very unlikely that they are screwed by the refs nearly every night, turning a 48 win team into a 36 win team.

10:37
Van Gundy still can't coach
What a game from Dre though.

5:32
Man, I’ve barely watched any Pistons games this season. I tuned in last night and it was something like 70-50 for us and Tobias Harris was dunking and hitting 3’s, and I turned it off. WHA HAPPEN?!

6:58
SVG is a horrible coach
If he can’t find five guys to hold an 18 point lead in the 4th quarter, he is a crap coach.
If the boys ain’t passing and are instead playing hero ball, yank them of the friggin floor Stan!
He is a loser. This team sucks.
SVG the coach needs to go. The players are simply not responding to his coaching.

7:04
I am Officially Out on SVG
When you watch a guy coach away a certain victory, and then in the post game presser he’s finding all sorts of effort related arguments, (it’s always how hard they played to Stan) but you saw the other coach out scheme you and steal your victory, well, that grows old very fast. This might be the least enjoyable Piston team to watch in the last 20 years. The coach doesn’t know how to use the roster, and he’s built it himself. He’s not going anywhere, so get a chew toy and clamp down. It’s going to be a miserable finish and a dog of a year next year until they ditch Van Gundy. The game has long ago passed him by. We lose to everyone, good and bad teams, so I am not sure why anyone sits out. But there is Stan, desperate for post offense and barely playing Boban, never playing Henry, and allowing Reggie to dribble the air out of the ball, night in and out. SIGH.
Hrm. Change the nouns and this could be a snippet from one of our game threads. :p

See Kings fans? We're not alone...

Glenn

Hall of Famer
https://twitter.com/sam_amick/status/819979961586987008

"LeBron James, in the wake of Draymond Green saying the same recently, calls DeMarcus Cousins "the best big man in our game."
Of course but then there are posters who disagree. Now let me see, whose opinion do I value the most? I would like to take a poll of all the 4s and 5s who go to war against him. There are those whose primary job seems to be to try to aggravate Boogie and those who will play clean, smash mouth basketball, win or lose. As a side note, guess which players Boogie respects?

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
just watched a nice long segment about the Kings and Boogie on NBA TV courtesy of Matt Winer, Mike Fratello & Vinny Del Negro...I loved listening to these three, no bias, no judgment, strictly keeping it professional and real. Very insightful analysis on the Kings' current situation regarding the playoffs, extension talks and moving forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.