Kings trade rights to Jaden Hardy (37 overall) for two future second round picks

It's almost like someone working inside the Kings keep helping the Mavs. First, it's Luka Doncic, now Jaden Hardy. Way to go!! Do the Kings realize they haven't been to the Playoffs in 16 years? You would think they need to draft as much talents and get as much lucky as possible. You only trade pick for lower ones if you feel your current roster is set (which is not the case). You're not Golden State Warriors.

Monte's track record in the 2nd round hasn't been impressive. If you're the Kings, why not swing for the fences and dedicate a 2-way spot or minimum contract to Hardy? We have nothing to lose if he doesn't pan out. EJ Liddell, Kennedy Chandler, and Trevor Keels were guys who I could see contributing to an NBA team day 1.

hard not to complain about 2nd round picks when we started the day with 2... and walked away with future unknowns.

Keon Ellis on the 2-way really helps, but man this could have been an absolute home-run draft. Hard to grade an A, despite 2 really good prospects in Keegan and Ellis, when a bad team punts its 2 2nd round picks.

Keon Ellis on the 2-way really helps, but man this could have been an absolute home-run draft. Hard to grade an A, despite 2 really good prospects in Keegan and Ellis, when a bad team punts its 2 2nd round picks.
Even if no one in the 2nd round did anything worthwhile, you could still say that they made the best possible decisions at the time.

Even if no one in the 2nd round did anything worthwhile, you could still say that they made the best possible decisions at the time.
Yeah I don't care about the result of the 2nd round picks. I want as many chances to hit on a Herb Jones, Ayo Dosonmu, Nic Claxton, Daniel Gafford, Terrance Mann. Finding good rotation players in the 2nd is one of the quickest ways to get out of the gutter.

Yeah I don't care about the result of the 2nd round picks. I want as many chances to hit on a Herb Jones, Ayo Dosonmu, Nic Claxton, Daniel Gafford, Terrance Mann. Finding good rotation players in the 2nd is one of the quickest ways to get out of the gutter.
Yep. Look at the 2nd round in 2018. Brunson, Graham, Mitchell Robinson, Trent Jr, Vanderbilt, Bruce Brown, Melton and Shake Milton.

2 future picks from Mavs seem like 2 - 45-55 range for a 37. Meh.
Do we know if the picks we will be getting will be their own, or something some other team owes them? If the Mavs picks, this is not a good trade. I don't mind trading away a second rounder. We have quite a logjam at the 2, and if Monte felt there was no 3 worth picking, it's okay to trade. We are likely to face the same situation with the picks we receive though, unless they are thrown to sweeten some other deal.

This was dumb. You don't dump cheap high 2nd rounders for future late firsts (at least likely to be late).

Kendall Brown, EJ Liddell, Karlo Matkovic (who I thought had withdrawn from the draft) were all available. Even Hardy himself is a good prospect as a 2nd rounder.

Very frustrating and brings the draft grade down. Obviously nothing is guaranteed with 2nd rounders, but these are low risk opportunities to find contributors and maybe something more. Trading them is dumb dumb dumb. Anyone defending these sort of moves needs to take a hard look at themselves because they're fools.

it was a key part of Memphis’s success.

Do we know if the picks we will be getting will be their own, or something some other team owes them? If the Mavs picks, this is not a good trade. I don't mind trading away a second rounder. We have quite a logjam at the 2, and if Monte felt there was no 3 worth picking, it's okay to trade. We are likely to face the same situation with the picks we receive though, unless they are thrown to sweeten some other deal.
The Mavericks traded their own second-rounders in 2024 and 2028 to Sacramento, Marc Stein tweets.

There's a high likelihood Monte isn't even charge for 2028, and even 2024 depending on how next season goes. So you have to question if this trade was for cost saving purposes from ownership. If so this team is doomed from the start because they won't get anywhere with penny-pinching ownership.

I think a very obvious reason why the Kings didnt end up keeping these 2nd rd picks was the lack of 3pt shooting on the board..

Ya see the UDFA players theyve gone after since, its mostly all guys who shot the ball well from deep in college.

Which to me, lessens the immediacy on 'swinging for the fences' with these potential 2nd rd picks.. They would've most likely been guys stuck in the g-league for the whole season and then their basically future 2nd rd picks anyways, with even less time on their rookie deals..

Plus I think something that deserves mention is the future drafts likely will have much stronger 2nd rd depth..

Last edited: