Kings @ Thunder Game Thread, 3/2/10, 5 p.m. P.S.T

Status
Not open for further replies.
THE STREAK IS ALIVE!!!

I love some good basketball, that is, basketball at least good enough to beat the Clippers.We haven't seen a whole lot of that sort of play around here since early January, and I was tired of watching the season drag by. A couple wins in a row and BAM! I'm excited again. Isn't that amazing? I think the new guys are really allowing their workman-like ethic to rub off on our youngsters (not that they're a whole lot older, but they're definitely more seasoned), and that's just the type of effort I want to see from this team night in and night out. Win / lose, eh, it's a lottery season. Let's develop this core and keep on pushing for improvement.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spencer Hawes Pt. 2? Has the young man finally emerged from his youthful cocoon of infuriating inconsistency? I give him a pass for the remainder of the year. This is the final year that we should expect absolute crap play from the budding prospect as he develops as a center in the league. I'm not trying to say he will be an all-star next year, but he should not suck.

I am very pleased With Carl Landry's consistent effort and contribution. It took a few games, but I am now amenable to the idea of him being our starting PF. Joey Dorsey is a guy that I just like to watch play, and entertainment should not be undervalued. In all, I am pleased with the recent trades, and I am excited for the future!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

AWARD TIME

TDM - Drew Gooden likes to pretend he has a grudge.

LW-VC - Bobby brown did (not) play.

JHA - Ime Udoka. Greene needs more PT.

SAR- Baron Davis is so disappointing.

RA&1 - Steve Blake, the Clippers' only semi stable PG, was a detriment this time.

WTF moment of the game - Another disappointing night from the charity stripe. We won, but still.

The OKC Thunder are looking to improve on their own two game winning streak, though Durant has failed to reach the 30 ppg plateau lately. It seems as though they need big output from him less often in order to win. The Thunder are an intriguing team, a fun team to watch, and can serve as a rebuilding model. The Kings are often compared to them, in fact, so I expect us to pushing for the playoffs right along with them next year.

Predictions:

Kings 100, Thunder 98

Pts: Evans 23, Durant 31
Asst: Udrih 5, Westbrook 6
Rbds: Hawes 8, Green 6 - (We should slaughter them on the boards)
Blks: Hawes 3, Krstic 1

Starting Lineups:

Evans / Westbrook: Slightly different all-star quality big guards. Good match up.
Greene / Sefolasha: This is not really who Greene will matchup with.
Casspi / Durant: HERE is Greene's man (I hope they start Greene)
Landry / Green: Landry is actually better than Green.
Hawes / Krstic: Krstic is a joke.

The Thunder is a team that the Kings can match up well against. Just put four solid quarters together and we can grow our streak while halting theirs.

GO KINGS!!!

Last edited:
Hopefully the guys show up tonight put up a solid effort and grow as a team in a hostile environment. Should be a entertaining game tonight to watch I'm hoping for the best.

If Landry and Green matchup I don't see Green going off like he has against us before.

That'd be nice, but it's on the road. Not sure if you've checked our road record...
Record is history.
You can learn a lot from history.
You can learn a lot from losing as well.
We've learned a lot..;)
And because we learned a lot we are better. Because we are better we will win.:p

It's going to be a LOOOOOONG night tonight...full of Thunder-ous highlights from Durantula, J-Green and Westbrook...NOT looking forward to it!

Edit: will be a good lesson for the kids.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
"Actually, we've got several players we'll try on him," Westphal said. "Omri (Casspi) will start on him, Donte' (Greene) will get a piece of him. I think that probably our best chance as far as a guy who can make it tough on him is maybe Dominic McGuire, and also Ime (Udoka) can chase him around some.
"(Udoka) really understands angles and everything.
When we beat them in Sacramento (on Nov. 10), Nocioni guarded him the whole game and really made it tough on him. Even though he had 37, he earned every point he got. Everybody knows you're not going to shut that guy down. The main thing is you want to make him work, to make him make field goals and not free throws."
Westphal's hero worship of Udoka really has gone far too far.

THough my favorite part of the article is when Westphal said that Noce did a good job by only allowing 37 points.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
"Actually, we've got several players we'll try on him," Westphal said. "Omri (Casspi) will start on him, Donte' (Greene) will get a piece of him. I think that probably our best chance as far as a guy who can make it tough on him is maybe Dominic McGuire, and also Ime (Udoka) can chase him around some.
"(Udoka) really understands angles and everything. When we beat them in Sacramento (on Nov. 10), Nocioni guarded him the whole game and really made it tough on him. Even though he had 37, he earned every point he got. Everybody knows you're not going to shut that guy down. The main thing is you want to make him work, to make him make field goals and not free throws."/QUOTE]

THough my favorite part of the article is when Westphal said that Noce did a good job by only allowing 37 points.

So it appears that we may end up using Omri, Donte, McGuire and Udoka on him huh? Who woulda thought? :p

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
So it appears that we may end up using Omri, Donte, McGuire and Udoka on him huh? Who woulda thought? :p
That only narrows it down to about half of the team:p, which will make it all the more embarrassing when Durant beats up Omri and Udoka and steals their lunch money while McGuire picks his nose on the bench and Donte sits in PW's doghouse for some half-witted play he'll make on a fast break.

If we stay focused all 48 minutes, we can win this. Durant is the biggest threat on their team and good defense on him would bring us closer to the victory.
I would like to see another Tyreke's ROY performance. Also, would be nice to see this team maintaining some winning chemistry.

Won't be able to watch this one, which is alright since I won't have to listen to Jerry wax poetic about how it's great to have active, mobile power forwards (see undersized) any time Green appears in the picture.

I've joined Westphal on this. So far the record is pretty good for Udoka. I expect we will see more of him.

This is going to be a real test game for Spencer in my mind. First game back after the motivational benching, played like a monster. Second game back, great performance, exactly what we needed. Now its time for a third game to show he isn't just joking around, especially against a team with no real answer for him.

Look for Omri to last 3 minutes before being taken out of the game...it will be like guarding Prince but much worse...rather have Donte on him from the beginning.

Look for Omri to last 3 minutes before being taken out of the game...it will be like guarding Prince but much worse...rather have Donte on him from the beginning.
I tend to agree with this. Omri is arguably our worst defender which is fine, he is still young and has willingness to learn on that end.

Having said that, I am absolutely concerned that Omri will start on Durant. Durant will destroy him and once Durant gets hot, you can put who ever you want on him and he will not be contained or slowed down.

For this particular game I would have started Greene on Durant from the start and see how we go.

I don't see Omri playing a lot of minutes tonight. He will get destroyed by Durant very quickly.

Last few times we played them, Krstic made Hawes look like a kindergarden kid. Its a big test for Spencer. Can he have 3 good games in a row?!

If we stay focused all 48 minutes, we can win this. Durant is the biggest threat on their team and good defense on him would bring us closer to the victory.
I would like to see another Tyreke's ROY performance. Also, would be nice to see this team maintaining some winning chemistry.
yeah we definitely need to put greene on durant. they're pretty much the same make-up so greene should be able to stay with him and their second best player (westbrook) will be guarded by our best defender (tyreke). I like our chances

Status
Not open for further replies.