[Game] Kings @ Suns Game Thread, 3/4/2012, 5 P.M.Pacific

Some of you may have noticed that I have been gone a while; Shall we call me back and better than ever? Probably not in a sports journalism sense, but I do feel greatly improved in other ways. I don't know if I can make a consistent run at these right away, but I'll sure try to inform if not entertain :)

The Kings and Suns are two mediocre teams in the middle of a shortened season clashing with nothing to lose, (or gain, really). The implications are limited. What can we gather from a win by either of these clubs? A simple W or L, and that's about it. I don't believe that any great mystery will be solved, any epiphany will be bestowed upon us, or that the basketball powers of the The Big O will be hefted upon Tyreke Evans as he charges down the lane.

With all that said, I predict a well matched game between a Suns team that has had much recent home success, and a Kings team that seems to have found some fight. The Suns have been changing their game lately, all of a sudden they want to play some D. "The Suns have held their last five opponents to 91.4 points per game on 42.0 percent shooting, including 27.6 percent from 3-point range." (source, ESPN.com) Should we get involved in a mire with the Phoenix Suns I will have missed quite a bit of NBA transition indeed.

Key matchup: Cousins Vs. Gortat (Will Cousins and Gortat face off? Call me on it if they don't). I fully expect Cousins to eat Gortat's fancy gluten free bagel that Steve Nash probably hands out before every game.

I would like to establish different awards and stuff, so I'll kinda come back to the thread and look for suggestions.

GO KINGS!

The "Reggie Theus award" to a player who won't do much, but will look pretty doing it? ( also known as the shirtless and sexy award)
The "most likely to agitate DMC" award?
The Olden Polynice award, for a former player that probably won't do much against us?

I dunno. Maybe inspiration will strike.

The "Reggie Theus award" to a player who won't do much, but will look pretty doing it? ( also known as the shirtless and sexy award)
The "most likely to agitate DMC" award?
The Olden Polynice award, for a former player that probably won't do much against us?

I dunno. Maybe inspiration will strike.
Yes, yes, all very good suggestions!

SLAB

Hall of Famer
According to Grant's Twitter Donte is starting at PF tonight.

EDIT: His next tweet said it's a match-up related change.

Last edited:
Last Kings game Vs. Suns was in Sacramento three weeks ago and I saw it. Bad play by Kings. Hopefully they can put together a better effort as they have been doing lately. Someone said Donte will start at PF. If they all play hard, aggressive, spirited BB then we should win in the end. Hope so.

Last edited:
According to Grant's Twitter Donte is starting at PF tonight.

EDIT: His next tweet said it's a match-up related change.
We went from a coach who couldn't run plays and didn't know how to handle DMC to a coach who doesn't understand height, positions, and rotations.

We went from a coach who couldn't run plays and didn't know how to handle DMC to a coach who doesn't understand height, positions, and rotations.
Well let's not pretend Westphal understood any of that either. See: Jason Thompson at SF.

Seriously though, Smart is pissing me off. JT may be better as a reserve, but it should be Hayes coming into the lineup not Donte at the 4.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I hate when coaches react to the other teams lineup instead of forcing them to matchup with ours, or at least showing confidence is ours. Something tells me if Daly was still on this team Smart might bench him to match up with Pho as well.

You start Reke/Garcia/Donte/JT/DMC and you have a height advantage at every position. Even if they tried to beat us with speed, these guys are gun.

And funny how these are the natural positions they play.

Damn, people are still saying Evans' natural position is PG.

Steve Nash regularly destroys the Kings, but this will be the first time he plays the Kings with Isaiah Thomas at PG, so tonight could be a different story.

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Umm, except maybe for the fact that Frye plays on the perimeter and a tall perimeter defender might be a good matchup?

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Damn, people are still saying Evans' natural position is PG.

Steve Nash regularly destroys the Kings, but this will be the first time he plays the Kings with Isaiah Thomas at PG, so tonight could be a different story.
I'm sure whoever this blasphemer is will come crawling to apologize to you.