Votes: 23 41.8%

• Total voters

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
KingsFans.com Gameday 2013-2014 Edition
Game 11
Sacramento Kings v. Phoenix Suns

By Stephen Tetsu, Resident Cross-cultural Ambassador

(Editor’s Note: My move’s only one week away so I”m really busy right now. So this is gonna be short. Sorry for the inconvenience.)

WE WON WE WON WE WON! Get the mayor on the line, it’s time to throw a parade!

It certainly wasn’t pretty but it’s a victory and a win looks the same no matter whether it was a lucky one or a blowout. Facing a Suns team missing its best player, the Kings got off to a strong start, led by Ben McLemore’s 8 points in the first quarter, and things, for once, seemed to be clicking so that the Kings would actually win a game with little drama. That however was not to last.

After having to deal with lax effort from the starters against the Grizzlies, Coach Mike Malone was faced this time with a bench that started playing like all the NBA stars after the aliens stole their mojo in Space Jam about two minutes into the second quarter.

For much of the game, all hope seemed lost. Until a single shimmering star descended from the heavens and taught us to believe. This glimmering star was Jimmer Fredette, defender of mankind, savior of the righteous, the knighiest knight of all. With Marcus Thornton hopefully being banished to basketball bench siberia until the end of time, Jimmer finally saw time in nongarbage minutes and held his own against the likes of Archie Goodwin and Ish Smith.

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Stat Watch 2013
0- Minutes played by Marcus Thornton during Tuesday’s game..

Observations
UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Awards

Pervis Ellison Draft Pick of the Game: Alex Len
Snatched with the fifth pick of this year’s draft, Len was drafted by the Suns to presumably anchor their inside game for the next decade. Thus far into his career, all Phoenix has gotten is a lack of production and headaches. With most of their other big men in foul trouble, the Suns were forced to play Len more than they probably would have and he responded in kind, missing his one field goal attempt while also notching one steal and assist in five minutes. Looking practically aneorexic in comparison to Demarcus Cousins, Alex Len just simply lacked the size or awareness to make much of an impact on the game.

Tony Delk Memorial Award: Gerald Green
Known more for his highflying dunks than solid NBA play, Green of course looked the part of an NBA superstar on Tuesday night, scoring 23 points against just about anyone the Kings stuck on him. Starting off against the rookie Ben McLemore, Green demonstrated good patience in positioning himself in the right place for wide-open three-point attempts and drove to the rim whenever presented with an opportunity, leading to several monster dunks on the night. In crunch time, however, Jeff Hornacek withdrew the swingman from the game in favor of Ish Smith and Archie Goodwin.

Today’s Game

Hey the Suns! Why do I feel like I’ve written about this team before? Oh, it’s because I have. At this point, you all probably have a better understanding of what the Suns have to offer than I do, seeing as how I was packing and filling out a bunch of paperwork while the game was going on. (Let’s be candid here, it’s probably for the best that I kinda zoned out around the halfway point of the second quarter.)

Plumlee is a solid garbage guy who is the anti-Channing Frye in that he (a) rarely vacates the paint and (b) isn’t allergic to rebounds or defense. He’s also got enough brothers to fill out an entire roster and his dad’s name is Perky. He’s the Suns’ best big man but really not all that special a player.

Channing Frye does as Channing Frye does. Sits around the perimeter waiting for someone to throw him the ball? Check. Jacks up three pointers like any good big man shouldn’t? Check. Plays like an all-star against the Kings? Also check.

The Morris Twins are twins. And both have names that start with M. Markieff is supposedly doing better than Marcus but really who can tell at this point? For all we know, they rotate jerseys every game, each time pretending to be the other. Undersized but scrappy, these dudes are the key to the Phoenix bench.

Archie Goodwin has the name most likely to be ripped from the classic NBA. He’s also a rookie and can jump high.

Gerald Green can jump high and against our collection of has-beens, never-weres, and possibly-coulds wound up scoring 23 points. With Bledsoe returning, Green goes back to the bench.

Phoenix’s point guards are fast and crafty buggers. Slashing and dashing, we simly had no answer for them yesterday.

Matchups (same as last time)

Demarcus versus the Suns collection of random big men: If there ever was a night for Cuz to light ‘em up, it would be tonight.

Demarcus versus pain: Walk it off, big guy. We need you… in 2014-2015

Greivis versus bad defense: Bledsoe is dangerous. I am concerned. At this point I think a fifth grader could score on him.

Slamson versus the Suns Mascot: I still don’t know what the hell a gorilla has to do with the sun.

Predictions and Closure

After the emotional high of last night’s shocking win, the Kings are forced to face off against the Suns once again, this time on their turf and with their best player set to return to the lineup. Things could get ugly, especially if Demarcus’s shoulder injury acts up in anyway. I’m predicting a loss 147-63. Put the kids to bed early. Don’t want them having any nightmares.

Go Kings.

What the heck is going on with Jimmer and MT's playing time? If it was just the matchup I can't imagine MT getting no playing time at all. I think Malone just doesn't like MT's game and we may see a reversal if Jimmer plays well tonight. Or perhaps we are showcasing for a trade... hmmmm!

What the heck is going on with Jimmer and MT's playing time? If it was just the matchup I can't imagine MT getting no playing time at all. I think Malone just doesn't like MT's game and we may see a reversal if Jimmer plays well tonight. Or perhaps we are showcasing for a trade... hmmmm!
MT has been pretty terrible.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
  1. Jason Jones ‏@mr_jasonjones 1m
    DeMarcus Cousins (shoulder) will play tonight at Phoenix. Jimmer stays in rotation tonight too. #NBAKings
That's what a tight rotation does for you. Once you jump someone in the rotation, you're not looking over your shoulder from quarter to quarter, half to half or game to game. You don't end up out of the rotation after a poor performance.

MT got a run of 9 games. I'd expect Jimmer to get something similar. We'll just have to wait and see if he takes advantage. He probably loosens up a bit knowing he's going to play.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I absolutely love this. Holy cow. Thornton's not performing, so guess what? He doesn't get to play.
If/when Thornton gets playing time again, it will be interesting to see how he responds. So far Malone seems to be very good at getting people's attention. I'm still puzzled by MT. His demeanor is not an issue. We used to call it a game face and people now call it sulking. I swear something is going on that we don't know about and I have nothing but my intuition to back that up. Absolutely nothing.

If/when Thornton gets playing time again, it will be interesting to see how he responds. So far Malone seems to be very good at getting people's attention. I'm still puzzled by MT. His demeanor is not an issue. We used to call it a game face and people now call it sulking. I swear something is going on that we don't know about and I have nothing but my intuition to back that up. Absolutely nothing.
With all the talk about us aggressively pursuing trades it wouldn't surprise me if we continue to limit Hayes and Thornton's minutes. Not much reason to risk an injury if you are dead set on trading them. Especially if you have other bodies you can put on the court.

With all the talk about us aggressively pursuing trades it wouldn't surprise me if we continue to limit Hayes and Thornton's minutes. Not much reason to risk an injury if you are dead set on trading them. Especially if you have other bodies you can put on the court.
Hayes and Thornton? What kind of assets are we giving up to get rid of them