Kings still interested in Songaila???

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
The Chicago Sun-Times reports that the Kings and the Heat are "reportedly interested in Songaila...". He is a dependable 4 off the bench but not much of a banger tho' he does run the court well. Really interesting...:confused:

The interest in him has to mean that he will fill the shoes of someone who is going to be shipped out in a trade. There is no reason at all for the Kings to add him to the mix without getting rid of someone on the front line. Things have been rather quiet from Kings' camp, which makes me think that this is the calm before the storm.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
It would be a rather sad statement if our offseason of acquiring interior defense began with fans on Mbenga and Pryzbilla and ended up with us reverting to our old ways with Darius. Nice guy, but has absolutely no place in a defensive minded frontline unless its as the designated softie. And we've already got loads of those.

As an aside, I would think the reason its all quiet ont he Kings front right now might be because we are waiting on Bonzi. But that really needs to be resolved here as there ae already very few other decent free agents remaining.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
The lack of trade talk is nothing new for GP. Other GM's ocasionaly spill the beans on deals with Kings but who the hell would want to brag about bringing Kenny, Corless or Hart to their squad?

He'd be a third big here at best. SAR/Songaila/Brad/Potapenko (or even a new back-up C) is a medicore FC, like the one we have right now. Basically no athleticism, little rebounding, no shot-blocking, SAR and Potapenko can defend in the post. Little complimentary, also.

I'd only like him here if he's a third big or the other FC guys are defensive players. Need someone to compliment SAR and/or Brad Miller, Songaila is not that. Under that, for part of the MLE or LLE. Ultimately though, I'd rather one of the defensive, athletic bigs from our VSL camp get a third big man spot.

Doubt he's back here, we have other needs going first.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Songaila wants the full MLE, or at least 3/4 of it. He opted out of a 2.5 million dollar contract because he thinks he was underpaid last season.

No thanks.

Holy crap, Full MLE?! I'd really not be happy if we gave him that, especially when we need a back-up center and could use part of the MLE on that.

Darius Songalia is a really good role player - why is he getting slammed in this thread -- he was effective for the Bulls last year. Obviously the Bulls adding Wallace makes him expendable. I like Darius better than Kenny Thomas....and Darius is a better complement to SAR at "4"....

so obviously getting Darius would be a precursor to dumping KT onto the most willing sucker....i.e. the Knicks.

:D

Because we don't need anymore offense, we need defense in our front-court. Brad/SAR is plenty of offense, and SAR's post-defense is our only significant defense in our FC right now. I'd say KT's rebounding, but he's questionable to be around, and Potapenko I doubt is relevant to us and will be out and upgraded with another back-up C.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
OF all the free agents to have interest in...Why Darius?

He's a soft, unathletic guy who lives on the perimeter...As far as Im concerned we already have one to many soft, unathletic big who lives on the perimeter...Of course thats Brad Miller.

Then one of our other bigs perfers the outside as well...And that would be Kenny Thomas...Bash him for whatever you want but it doesnt change the fact that he...

1: Is more athletic.
2: Shoots a higher percentage.
3: Grabs more rebounds.
4: Blocks more shots...Which is sad considering K9 blocks a half a shot a game.

I wouldnt get Darius at all...Pointless.

R

Rome

No thanks, I think we already got too many bigs who can score. What we REALLY need is a C/PF who will play next to Reef. Or Brad Miller if we have to keep him.

OF all the free agents to have interest in...Why Darius?

He's a soft, unathletic guy who lives on the perimeter...As far as Im concerned we already have one to many soft, unathletic big who lives on the perimeter...Of course thats Brad Miller.

Then one of our other bigs perfers the outside as well...And that would be Kenny Thomas...Bash him for whatever you want but it doesnt change the fact that he...

1: Is more athletic.
2: Shoots a higher percentage.
3: Grabs more rebounds.
4: Blocks more shots...Which is sad considering K9 blocks a half a shot a game.

I wouldnt get Darius at all...Pointless.
For the most part, I agree with you. We definitely don't need another unathletic big who lives on the perimeter but maybe we are interested in him as a replacement for Miller. Perhaps GP has a deal involving Brad and is looking for a cheap replacement for him in Darius.

With Bonzi most likely signing with us, we would need some players who can spread the floor and hit an occasional jumper and Darius would be a cheap option for this. Just some speculation.

Thanks for the welcome 6th! I've been surfing Kingsfans.com for the past 4 years but never became a member until now. I guess you can call me a troll beast but in any event, I feel like I've known the regulars like Brick and VF for a long time. Pretty cool board and major props to whoever keeps it up and running!

For the most part, I agree with you. We definitely don't need another unathletic big who lives on the perimeter but maybe we are interested in him as a replacement for Miller. Perhaps GP has a deal involving Brad and is looking for a cheap replacement for him in Darius.

With Bonzi most likely signing with us, we would need some players who can spread the floor and hit an occasional jumper and Darius would be a cheap option for this. Just some speculation.
YES. I just suggested this in the FA thread above... I agree with you, and think it is a possibility.

If not, I don't like us signing Darius and having a front-court of Brad/SAR/Darius/Potapenko or another back-up C/SL guy. Getting one of the SL bigs, and a back-up C, is NOT the way to address your interior defensive woes.

Basically no athleticism, not much boarding, likely no shot blocking, one or two post-defenders.

Yeah, that sounds awesome... :p

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Thanks for the welcome 6th! I've been surfing Kingsfans.com for the past 4 years but never became a member until now. I guess you can call me a troll beast but in any event, I feel like I've known the regulars like Brick and VF for a long time. Pretty cool board and major props to whoever keeps it up and running!

Well, hopefully, we'll get to know you as well. And yes, Jeremy (our board owner/administrator is the best!

YES. I just suggested this in the FA thread above... I agree with you, and think it is a possibility.

If not, I don't like us signing Darius and having a front-court of Brad/SAR/Darius/Potapenko or another back-up C/SL guy. Getting one of the SL bigs, and a back-up C, is NOT the way to address your interior defensive woes.

Basically no athleticism, not much boarding, likely no shot blocking, one or two post-defenders.

Yeah, that sounds awesome... :p
Yeah, I don't want Darius in addition to Brad. As a replacement for Brad, I would be open to the possibility but certainly not as a tandem. If we do get rid of Brad, I hope it's going to be for someone bigger, faster, more athletic and certainly nastier. KG anyone? I would to love see KG as a King but don't see it as a viable option right now.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Actually I was thinking that Darius may have to settle for less than the contract he opted out of. So if we could bring him in for the LLE I wouldn't mind it. Still have to make the obvious moves but nothing wrong with gaining talent even if its at the end of the bench. Plus we know he can play off the bench.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Yeah, I don't want Darius in addition to Brad. As a replacement for Brad, I would be open to the possibility but certainly not as a tandem. If we do get rid of Brad, I hope it's going to be for someone bigger, faster, more athletic and certainly nastier. KG anyone? I would to love see KG as a King but don't see it as a viable option right now.
I probably should have quoted your first post in regards to Miller/Songaila, but oh well.

Anyways, you make a valid point...If Miller is leaving in any way, Darius would step in and instantly be our very own Miller Lite...No pun intended.

One soft, unathletic, jump-shooting, non-rebounding big is enough for one roster, in my opinion!

Songila

While there is a lot of debat in this threat, here are several facts I think most people would agree with. He's worth it if:

1 - He's signed cheap and therefore not at the expense of a backup PG or C. THis is somewhat nullified if Douby proves he can be a competent backup PG or Garcia/Artest can bring the ball up under pressure.

2 - He's willing to accept his role. If he wants to be a starter or primary backup, then he's not the right fit for our team. If he can accept being the third backup PF/C, then he's a great fit as he can cause mismatches and give us another big who can rebound and score. Especially if we do trade KT.

3 - He's a good team player and role player and a nice complement for any team. He also husstles and tries hard like Muss likes.

Honestly, it's too early to pass judgement until we see the totality of Petrie's moves. Without cap space, Petrie has generally waited towards the end of the free agency period and found value that did not cost up future flexibility. He is to be aplauded for that as players like BJax, JimJax, Damon Jones, etc. did not cost us much.

Didn't notice this thread just now, but I just posted a new thread with the current status on Bonzi and Songaila from Insider. Looks like a lot of the teams are interested in Songaila, and my bet is that the Kings will only grab him if the price is very, very low - which may not be the case with several teams at least mildly interested.