Kings still have work to do - ESPN Insider

Most of it's been said before, though I did find the trade suggestion w/ Phoenix interesting. Of course, if you think the Kings have concerns, take a look at the Charlotte Bobcats' roster.

THE COMPLETE TEXT OF THE ARTICLE IS AVAILABLE AT:

http://proxy.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=1876099&type=story

Heat, Kings and Grizzlies still have work to do

By Chad Ford, ESPN Insider

The free-agent frenzy is over, and a number of high-profile teams have a lot to show for it. With NBA spending at an all-time high and trades going down at a frantic pace, there is a growing parity in the league that gives hope to franchises that have had little to cheer about the past few years.

From Boston to Utah to Orlando and even Cleveland, GMs can stand up credibly after a busy summer and tell fans hope is on the way.

With all the focus the past two months on what teams have done in an effort to improve, it's just as instructive to look at what some teams have left to do.

Training camps start in less than a month, and a handful of potential contenders -- including the Heat, Grizzlies, Kings and Rockets -- are heading into the season with major holes left unfilled.

Today, Insider takes a look 10 teams that still need to make another move or two before training camp begins. Do the Heat have enough depth to make Shaq happy? Can the Kings add enough depth to make a difference in the West? Will the Grizzlies finally get their hands on a big man? Here's our take.

MIAMI HEAT

Holes:
Power forward, small forward
Skinny: Shaquille O'Neal is big. But can the Big Aristotle play three positions? He might have to this year to compensate for the Heat's shocking lack of depth. Miami had to give up three starters for one in the Shaq trade. While Shaq is an enormous upgrade over Brian Grant at center, the team has yet to adequately fill holes at the four and three left by the departures of Lamar Odom and Caron Butler.

The team signed sharp-shooting Wesley Person (5.8 ppg, 2 rpg in '03-04) to play the three and goes into opening day with second-year forward Udonis Haslem (7.3 ppg, 6.3 rpg) as the starting power forward. Their bench players at that position, third-year forward Rasual Butler (6.8 ppg, 1.4 rpg), veteran big man Malik Allen (4.2 ppg, 2.6 rpg) and second-round pick Matt Freije don't exactly inspire confidence on a team that has championship aspirations.

Miami's starting backcourt looks good, but there's little depth there, either. Dwyane Wade is a phenomenal talent, but is he really a point guard? He had better be. Damon Jones is coming off the best season of his career, but he's more of a gunner than a point. Keyon Dooling? He couldn't crack the Clippers' rotation. Eddie Jones has been great for the Heat the past four seasons, but he turns 33 in October and shot a career low 41 percent from the field last season. His backup, rookie Dorell Wright looks like he has a ton of potential. But when you consider he just graduated from prep school a few months ago, how much help is he really going to be?

MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES

Holes:
Center
Skinny: Brian Cardinal might be the hardest-working guy in the NBA, but he isn't going to be the player who puts the Grizzlies over the top next season. Jerry West has been looking for a legit big man for the past two seasons but still keeps coming up empty. Stromile Swift and Lorenzen Wright were good for the Grizz last season, but West still wants an upgrade. The Grizzlies were the front-runners to land Erick Dampier in a sign-and-trade earlier in the summer, but the Warriors weren't interested in what the Grizzlies were offering.

Last month the Grizzlies turned their attention to landing a younger, but riskier big man -- Eddy Curry. The Grizzlies have a ton of assets to throw at the Bulls, and a trade that would send Bonzi Wells and a re-signed Swift to Chicago for Curry, Eddie Robinson and Chris Jefferies works under the cap. Bulls GM John Paxson has grown weary of Curry's inconsistency and lack of conditioning. He showed up at the Bulls' training facility 35 pounds overweight six weeks ago -- after vowing to get in the best shape of his career as the season ended. Since then, Curry has been working out consistently and has gotten his weight down below 290 -- svelte for Curry.

However, talks have cooled over the past few weeks since Curry began working hard. If the Grizzlies don't land Curry -- who's left? The Grizzlies have a ton of assets to work with. The team has an astounding 10 players on its roster who play guard. No one needs four point guards and six players who can play shooting guard, not even Hubie Brown. The team also has Swift, who's hoping a team works out a sign-and-trade for him.

SACRAMENTO KINGS

Holes:
Depth at shooting guard, small forward and power forward
Skinny: Remember a happier time when the Kings sported one of the deepest benches in the league? Those days are now gone. The Maloof brothers had to spend so much money signing free agents like Chris Webber, Mike Bibby, Brad Miller and Doug Christie that they can no longer afford to pay the role players that once made the Kings so successful. While Sacramento continues to have one of the most impressive starting fives in the league, its bench is going to be a big issue this year.

With the exception of Bobby Jackson, who is great backing up Bibby, and big man Greg Ostertag, who the Kings added to help Miller, the Kings are shockingly shallow this year. The team is looking for rookies and one second-year player to help out the rest of the team's starters. That's pretty scary considering the team's injury history. The best of the group is second-year forward Darius Songaila, who was solid in limited minutes backing up Webber and Miller last season. Given that Webber misses, on average, around 20 games per season, will Songaila be enough?

The rest of the group consists of first-round pick Kevin Martin (who lit up the summer league), second-round pick Ricky Minard and international free agent David Bluthenthal. Will he be able to bail them out if Peja Stojakovic goes down with an injury?

While we're at it, let's not forget that Stojakovic is publicly demanding to be traded, and Webber privately supports the idea. GM Geoff Petrie claims the team won't trade Peja, despite strong interest around the league. The Pacers have talked with the Kings about a Ron Artest for Stojakovic swap. Another one that could make some sense? Stojakovic and Christie to the Suns for Shawn Marion and Joe Johnson.

M

Markezi

thedofd said:
While we're at it, let's not forget that Stojakovic is publicly demanding to be traded, and Webber privately supports the idea. GM Geoff Petrie claims the team won't trade Peja, despite strong interest around the league. The Pacers have talked with the Kings about a Ron Artest for Stojakovic swap. Another one that could make some sense? Stojakovic and Christie to the Suns for Shawn Marion and Joe Johnson.
First of all, the fact that "Webber privately supports the idea" is news to me - not shocking news (the contrary actually), but maybe I just missed this fact over the past month.

I've said it before and I'll say it again (and again) - as most other Kings fans have too - but I REALLY hope that Petrie is able to move Webber like the rumors have been saying this summer. At this point, I finally concede that I would take ANYONE - Allen Houston...Bryant Reeves...Alonzo Mourning...ANYBODY. I don't care if we lose his "talent" anymore -I'd rather have a complete void at power forward than Webber. I'd rather be able to root for the Kings than countdown the days until the worst contract in history ends.

I do NOT support trading Peja and Christie. Any situation in which Webber stays is bad for the Kings. Period.

monk

G-League
If Webber privately supports a Peja trade how would we ever know? Doesn't private mean that he doesn't share that with anybody? Especially Chad Ford.

thedofd said:
:eek: :eek: WHAT?!?!?!?!?!!?!?! when was this said???? do we have any sort of link or a 2nd source????? then again, this is chad ford who is about as reliable as peter gammons.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
I an not sure that I agree with the statement that "any situation where Webber stays is bad for the Kings", but I do agree that trading both Pedja and Chritie is a bad call. Heck I am not even sure that the much vaunted Pedja for Artest trade makes the Kings any better, but I suspect that a happy and energized Artest would be more of an asset than a disgruntled and lethargic Pedja. As for the Webber coments, beceause of his injuries, short seasons and lack of a ring and givne the size of his contract he is virtualy untradeable. The Kings also have to consider the BEST line up they can put together with out him on the court. This is sort of a no brainer. Much respect and props to Darius, but Shifting Miller to the 4 and bringing Tag in to start at C is obviously the bets move. This of course leaves NO ONE to back up Tag. So the hole in the roster, the #12 slot if you will will most likely be a 3rd string Center. And yes it probaly will be a real unimpressive player unless some one takes a low pay one year contract to get exposuer (Jim Jackson style)... think N'diaye.

Markezi said:
First of all, the fact that "Webber privately supports the idea" is news to me - not shocking news (the contrary actually), but maybe I just missed this fact over the past month.

I've said it before and I'll say it again (and again) - as most other Kings fans have too - but I REALLY hope that Petrie is able to move Webber like the rumors have been saying this summer. At this point, I finally concede that I would take ANYONE - Allen Houston...Bryant Reeves...Alonzo Mourning...ANYBODY. I don't care if we lose his "talent" anymore -I'd rather have a complete void at power forward than Webber. I'd rather be able to root for the Kings than countdown the days until the worst contract in history ends.

I do NOT support trading Peja and Christie. Any situation in which Webber stays is bad for the Kings. Period.
The only place we've heard that rumored is in AV's opinion pieces. No one else across the whole league has picked up on that, not even the Chad Ford's who run with any little innuendo. Oh, and the street she lives on, can't forget that;)
You'd rather have a complete void at PF? When you get to this point, you have crossed the line from really wanting what is best for the team (which may be, in your opinion, trading Chris) into a whole different area, being so blinded by your desire to see Chris moved that you would do it, even if it destroyed the team.

While Sacramento continues to have one of the most impressive starting fives in the league, its bench is going to be a big issue this year.
Well, at least we aren't trying to plug holes in the starting line-up. Adelman doesn't like to run real deep into the bench anyway. Bobby, Tag and Darius already put us at 8 in the rotation. Add in Kev, who will see playing time, and we are at 9.
As we have learned through traumatic personal experience, all the depth won't do us a bit of good if one of our key players suffers an untimely injury in the Post Season.

monk said:
If Webber privately supports a Peja trade how would we ever know? Doesn't private mean that he doesn't share that with anybody? Especially Chad Ford.
the man must be a witch. Burn him at dawn!!

Chad Ford is great at taking nothing, throwing in a bunch of unfounded opinions, and putting it on a website. I feel bad for the easily swayed people that actually believe anything he writes.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Markezi said:

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but you don't speak for me when you say "most other Kings fans" want Petrie to trade Webber.

Personally, I believe - and I believe MOST KINGS FANS agree - that our best solution would be for Chris and Peja to kiss and make up. And I think that's what the Maloofs and Petrie are working towards.

Chad Ford has continually shown he has no real insight when it comes to the Kings. I cannot imagine why he would gain so much credence, except when he actually says something that supports a particular point of view.

Markezi said:

Any situation in which Webber stays is bad for the Kings. Period.
This is one of the most illogical posts that I have seen on this board. Period.

M

Markezi

Kingsgurl said:
You'd rather have a complete void at PF? When you get to this point, you have crossed the line from really wanting what is best for the team (which may be, in your opinion, trading Chris) into a whole different area, being so blinded by your desire to see Chris moved that you would do it, even if it destroyed the team.
I understand your point, but considering the damage Chris has done to this team to date (morale, drugs, grand jury, quotes, booing debacle, missing over 25% of games), it is very debatable.

Perhaps I am blinded, but also consider the point that I love the Kings so much, it pains me to see them go down a path led by Webber. The team is turning into an unlikable team TO ME when the leader rips the best player and supports (at least according to this article) that player departing (in addition to all the other ridiculous circumstances I listed above).

I'm curious, obviously everyone knows how little respect I have for Chris Webber, the man; is there anything he could do (without being too sensationalistic) that would change your opinion and make you wish he wasn't representing your team and city?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I for one am not about to fall into that old trap.

Nothing good, IMHO, can be gained by responding to a question that loaded.

Markezi said:
is there anything he could do (without being too sensationalistic) that would change your opinion and make you wish he wasn't representing your team and city?
There are many things he could do that would make me wish he was no longer a King.
  • He could hurt physically hurt somebody - e.g. battery, physical abuse, etc.
  • He could play without any spirit for at least the first half of the season - making dumb mistakes and not giving effort.
  • He could play completely ineffectively for the first half of the season to the point of losing games for the team - e.g. forcing horrible shots, shooting a horrible percentage, and not helping with rebounds, assists, or defense. Note that he would have to play substantially worse than he did at times last season, and substantially worse than Stojakovic did in the playoffs (I still want Peja to be a King).
  • He could call out one or more important teammates in public by calling them names, saying things that were baseless and untrue, and claiming that they should defer to him at all times.
  • He could do anything that would make Petrie and company actually go through with a trade - since I generally trust Petrie's judgement in these cases.

And by the way, I don't think the idea of trading Webber for nothing is illogical at all. I just don't agree with it. He hasn't done anything above, or really come all that close.

A

AriesMar27

Webber still is our best player and outside of Bibby.... was the only other player to show up in the playoffs this year.... Well... doug was there in the Dallas series, then he airballed away a game 7 again...

Webber isnt to blame for last season... Peja is and lets not forget that. webber went toe to toe with KG for 7 games, and still had the ballz to take the last shot. He put that entire series on his shoulders with that shot, if it had gone in and the kings won that series... he'd be a hero to all of you, but he missed and you hate his guts. If peja took that shot, you all would have been happy to see him at least try for once to carry the team and then blame Webber for not doing enough....

For the record, it was Peja's FT shooting that cost us Game 3 not Webbers....

M

Markezi

Webber is our best player?

Wow. I am in shock.

This ain't 2001-2002 folks. Even then it was debatable.

Markezi said:
Webber is our best player?

Wow. I am in shock.

This ain't 2001-2002 folks. Even then it was debatable.
Who is the best player then? Peja?

Regular Season:

Webber
18.7, 8.7, and 4.6 with 1.35 SPG and .87 BPG
Peja:
24.2, 6.3, and 2.1 with 1.33 SPG and .17 BPG

Playoffs:

Webber
18.4, 8.3, and 3.7 with 1.33 SPG and .83 BPG
Peja
17.5, 7.0, and 1.5 with 1.83 SPG and .25 BPG

And Webb was recovering from almost a year without playing.

Last edited:
Bballkingsrock said:
Webber is the 4th best player behind Bibby, Bobby, Miller, and Peja.
HAHAHA!!!

Regular Season:

Webber
18.7, 8.7, and 4.6 with 1.35 SPG and .87 BPG
Peja:
24.2, 6.3, and 2.1 with 1.33 SPG and .17 BPG

Playoffs:

Webber
18.4, 8.3, and 3.7 with 1.33 SPG and .83 BPG
Peja
17.5, 7.0, and 1.5 with 1.83 SPG and .25 BPG

And Webb was recovering from almost a year without playing.

Bballkingsrock said:
He was the one that missed the 3 pointer vs. the T-wolves!!! Why did we sink when Webber came back in the season? BECAUSE OF WEBBER!!!!
Give me a break. If you make 1 in 3 3-pointers you are doing OK. At least he took the shot, unlike another player you think is better than Chris.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
bballkingsrock -

Oh good.

The 3-pointer at the buzzer that went two/thirds of the way in and back out? Yeah, you're right. It's all Webber's fault. Every game should come down to whether or not the Kings can make a last second three to tie...

If you want to fault Webber, you might consider picking something other than his performance in the playoffs if you expect your arguments to be given any credence whatsoever.

Last edited: