Kings sign Jamel Artis

Adrian Wojnarowski @wojespn
Free agent forward Jamel Artis has agreed to a two-year deal with the Sacramento Kings, league sources tell ESPN. Artis played 15 games with Orlando a season ago. He'll compete in training camp to make team and add depth to small forward spot.

Video shows a few "mitch ritchmond threes."

Played G League for Knicks.
Had a two-way contract for Orlando where he played 15 NBA games.

3 pt percentage is not great for 19 minutes a game (27.6%).

Last edited:

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I remember watching him a bit at Pitt but I don't really know what he can do for an NBA team, I suppose this is a training camp body and maybe he gets a few minutes in preseason to showcase himself.

As a training camp contract we would either have to cut him before reg season or to keep him we need
to cut two other contracts

To stretch Either Ben or Davis contract it has to be done by aug 31

Is this a sign Ben will be waived/stretched this month?
If they are really considering Artis I would think to preserve cap for future trades
you would stretch Ben in Aug, then you decide whether to Waive Davis or Artis and the end of camp

dude12

Hall of Famer
I remember watching vids on Nigel Hayes when we signed him. Made shots in those vids and looked good. Got here and played and couldn’t make a shot. Doesn’t belong in the NBA....at least now and probably going forward. Call me skeptical about Artis but it’s always worth a look hoping it pans out.

I imagine if we go thru enough of these undrafted SF types, eventually we will land a surprise i.e Robert Covington.

All the best to your sucess young man.
Soon enough they'll hit! There's a never ending supply of these fringe types from 6'5 - 6'10 in the 23-25 year old range. There's minor success stories constantly though, with these types of players they just gotta add a little something to their game and it clicks.

I remember watching vids on Nigel Hayes when we signed him. Made shots in those vids and looked good. Got here and played and couldn’t make a shot. Doesn’t belong in the NBA....at least now and probably going forward. Call me skeptical about Artis but it’s always worth a look hoping it pans out.
He's a much better 3pt shooter at NBA range than Hayes, for certain, Hayes is really a mid-range guy who was attempting to showcase as a stretch..

Artis on the other hand was a volume 3pt shooter senior year at Pitt shot 39% from 3 on 6 attempts per game.

Per SB Nation article:
The 2nd year wing will get a chance to make the final roster or possibly earn a two-way contract.

I thought we already had Sampson and Gabriel for our two-way contracts?

Kingster

Hall of Famer
He's intriguing. From his freshman year to his his senior year he went from 29.6% to 39.2% in his 3 point percentage.

From the combine stat sheet below what caught my eye was that he was 62nd out of 64 players in body fat percentage. It makes you wonder what he would perform like he if got into better shape. Also, in the 3 point drill where he breaks left he was last, and where he breaks right he was 1st of 32 participants. That is a huge divergence. If the guy works on going left it would seem like he could improve his game quite a bit.

I found this comment interesting from the source below: "In the two games he played, Artis was largely invisible, particularly while playing with ball-dominant guards like Frank Mason....." Just don't play him Mason, and he'll do just fine!:)

Stats from the combine: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...-combine-Pitt-basketball/stories/201705130121

He's intriguing. From his freshman year to his his senior year he went from 29.6% to 39.2% in his 3 point percentage.

From the combine stat sheet below what caught my eye was that he was 62nd out of 64 players in body fat percentage. It makes you wonder what he would perform like he if got into better shape. Also, in the 3 point drill where he breaks left he was last, and where he breaks right he was 1st of 32 participants. That is a huge divergence. If the guy works on going left it would seem like he could improve his game quite a bit.

I found this comment interesting from the source below: "In the two games he played, Artis was largely invisible, particularly while playing with ball-dominant guards like Frank Mason....." Just don't play him Mason, and he'll do just fine!:)

Stats from the combine: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...-combine-Pitt-basketball/stories/201705130121
Perhaps he and MBIII can learn a lot from one another. :)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Per SB Nation article:
The 2nd year wing will get a chance to make the final roster or possibly earn a two-way contract.

I thought we already had Sampson and Gabriel for our two-way contracts?
Gabriel is signed; we made an offer to Sampson but I haven't seen (or don't remember) an announcement that he signed.

Your right!, I could not see where Jakarr had signed, I saw something about an RFA Offer sheet for a two-way contract?
I suppose he might be able to accept the offer sheet (dont know if offer still avail) which would probably turn into a 1 yr two-way contract, but would guess his agent is still trying to get him on a roster as a 15th contract, or a better paying gig
-maybe overseas

So they could cancel the 2yr contract and offer Artis a two-way if he impresses in pre-season, waive Davis, and we are at 15 plus two 2way SF Backups? Having that one 2 way contract open thru pre-season at least gives any training camp signees a glimmer of hope for
some sort of contract.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Your right!, I could not see where Jakarr had signed, I saw something about an RFA Offer sheet for a two-way contract?
I suppose he might be able to accept the offer sheet (dont know if offer still avail) which would probably turn into a 1 yr two-way contract, but would guess his agent is still trying to get him on a roster as a 15th contract, or a better paying gig
-maybe overseas

So they could cancel the 2yr contract and offer Artis a two-way if he impresses in pre-season, waive Davis, and we are at 15 plus two 2way SF Backups? Having that one 2 way contract open thru pre-season at least gives any training camp signees a glimmer of hope for
some sort of contract.
We could also waive Ben and create another roster spot. There are still a lot of different options. :)