Kings sign Cory Joseph

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Well, all eggs are officially in the basket. Either way it's going to be quite interesting. Another partial guarantee. Whatever happened to a team option? Those partials can add up.

Thought he would come a little cheaper, but good to have all the spots wrapped up the first day. The team clearly had their targets identified that were realistic and fit our needs.

One big with more bulk on the bench would be nice, even if it's a minimum contract. Or will we have the Room exception now?

Thought he would come a little cheaper, but good to have all the spots wrapped up the first day. The team clearly had their targets identified that were realistic and fit our needs.

One big with more bulk on the bench would be nice, even if it's a minimum contract. Or will we have the Room exception now?
Swanigan has a guaranteed contract.

Think best you could hope for is Kosta on the minimum.

Weird that basically the entire 10-man rotation is set in stone. I don't see any way there could be a variant at all from the projected lineup.

Did we even have more than one starter last year that was set in stone?
Now we just need to see what Walton does with it. I keep catching myself thinking about how Joeger rotations will play out. Curious how the Dedmond/Barnes/Ariza/Belli combinations are used. I suspect Belli probably ends up a little bit on the outside looking in with Barnes shifting over to the 4 spot in a lot of lineups when dedmond is on the bench.

Now we just need to see what Walton does with it. I keep catching myself thinking about how Joeger rotations will play out. Curious how the Dedmond/Barnes/Ariza/Belli combinations are used. I suspect Belli probably ends up a little bit on the outside looking in with Barnes shifting over to the 4 spot in a lot of lineups when dedmond is on the bench.
The good news is we now have real depth to deal with the attrition of the NBA season. If any starter has to miss time there's a real NBA player behind them ready to step in and Walton has a varied roster to tinker with different lineups.

LAC signed Beverley to 3 years 40 mil, just one mil more annually than Joseph. I'd have offered Beverley 46 over 3 years, but who knows, he might have had his heart set on staying in LA. And waiting to make an offer might have been a risk, I guess.

I still think we’re lacking enough star power wattage to get into the playoffs next year, but all pieces fit together. It’s a well crafted team. It looks like 2021 will be our next (and maybe final) potential talent on-ramp. In 2021, just remember, Peja is Serbian heritage AND Greek citizen.

LAC signed Beverley to 3 years 40 mil, just one mil more annually than Joseph. I'd have offered Beverley 46 over 3 years, but who knows, he might have had his heart set on staying in LA. And waiting to make an offer might have been a risk, I guess.
I can't see Beverly choosing the Kings over the Clippers without much more of an overpay. He was a key cog for a playoff team there. If you look at his role in L.A. compared with Yogi Ferrell's in Sacramento last year it was substantially different. Beverely started 49 games and played 27 MPG. Yogi started (I think) 2 games and played 15 MPG. Fox will play big minutes and with both Buddy and Bogi there I don't see a lot of opportunity to share the backcourt with De'Aaron. Beverly was my ideal backup PG but unless he wanted to leave LA or the Clippers didn't want to re-sign him, I didn't see it happening.

I think it's also worth pointing out that Joseph's deal (like Dedmon's I believe) has the third year non-guaranteed which is great for cap flexibility when the Kings will hopefully be re-signing Fox, Bagley and others to big money deals. Im not sure Beverly would have accepted what essentially might be a two year deal as I believe LA guaranteed all three years.

Last edited:
According to some we overpaid for everybody. Apparently they are completely in touch with market value of NBA players
We did overpay for everybody. But that's necessary to get free agents to come here. Barnes/Dedmon are fairly close to market value, while Joseph/Ariza are clear overpays. That said, we at least kept some flexibility by giving partially guaranteed deals.

People here are already overrating our signings, the same as every year. Don't get me wrong, I am fairly happy with our signings, they make sense. But Ariza has been poor for a while now, Joseph is a very shaky shooter at best, and people are expecting Dedmon to improve exponentially just because he's improved the last two years, but the guy is 29. What you see now is what your get, and he's had his share of injury troubles. I know he picked up basketball late but he's not likely going to shoot better than 38% from three next year.

People are giving Ariza a pass for being demotivated simply because he played for Washington/Phoenix, as if we are a top franchise. The same people wouldn't dream of giving Willie a pass for his inconsistent play despite us being just as dysfunctional, if not moreso, than both of those franchises for most of his tenure here.

Cautiously optimistic. Let's see how things shake out.