Kings pre-season stats (from Kings.com)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Thanks to sactowndog for some good links! Maybe this could/should be the "official" KF stats thread?

Stats are fine and help paint a picture of what is happening.
With young teams, what is hard to judge are things like confidence., desire and decision making. Team defense is hard to rate except by watching a team play. Points per possession, defensive rebounding and blocks can give you idea. The one stat that absolutely has to improve is points per game given up to opposing teams. That should be the first thing to address.

Stats are fine and help paint a picture of what is happening.
With young teams, what is hard to judge are things like confidence., desire and decision making. Team defense is hard to rate except by watching a team play. Points per possession, defensive rebounding and blocks can give you idea. The one stat that absolutely has to improve is points per game given up to opposing teams. That should be the first thing to address.
Did you read the glossary? They have defensive stats, hustle stats, etc. Basketball is stats guy heaven.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Justin Jackson with 1.7 rebounds in 22.7 minutes of play? That is soo sad. We need help at the small forward. I don't care if he was matched up against LBJ for every minute of every pre-season game, he should do a lot better than that.

And that's a big issue with pre-season stats - who exactly is the player playing against when he accumulates the stat? Is it against a good player, or a bench scrub? I can't wait to take a look at the stats 10 games into the regular season, and then at 10-game increments after that.

Tell us about confidence, desire and decision making. Tell us about team defense.
Desire= they have a whole section on “hustle”, they can measure rebounds with someone near by.

Decision making: assists, contested shots

Again you can argue how well they measure it but they certainly try to. Somehow I suspect you haven’t really looked.

If stats were the answer, we would have statisticians instead of coaches.
There are plenty of important qualities that players have that cannot be measured on a print out.

If stats were the answer, we would have statisticians instead of coaches.
There are plenty of important qualities that players have that cannot be measured on a print out.
No one said stats had all the answers but they certainly provide critical data. Brad Stevens, at Butler, said if he had the budget he would hire a whole stats department. One of the people he brought with him to Boston was his stats guy. Good coaches like Stevens use stats heavily to verify or challenge what they are believe they are seeing on the floor.

Justin Jackson with 1.7 rebounds in 22.7 minutes of play? That is soo sad. We need help at the small forward. I don't care if he was matched up against LBJ for every minute of every pre-season game, he should do a lot better than that.

And that's a big issue with pre-season stats - who exactly is the player playing against when he accumulates the stat? Is it against a good player, or a bench scrub? I can't wait to take a look at the stats 10 games into the regular season, and then at 10-game increments after that.
Yah that caught me off guard as well.. Terrible rebounding out of the SF position. Was never really a fan of the pick though so I guess my opinion doesn't count that much.