[Game] Kings @ Pelicans - Tuesday, Jan. 30 - 5PT

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I don't know about anyone else, but this was a game I was looking forward to. I wanted to see our young guys play well while watching DMC put up another triple-double and possibly even another 40-20-10 because none of our guys really could have stopped him.

Unfortunately, fate had other plans. DMC is out and the whole reason for watching became a lot less interesting (again, at least in my mind).

According to the injury report available at the time I write this:
NEW ORLEANS
01/26/18 DeMarcus Cousins C Achilles Out for the season
01/15/18 Frank Jackson PG Foot Expected to be out until at least Feb 2
01/10/18 Tony Allen SG Lower Leg Expected to be out until at least Jan 31 Revised to game time decision
12/07/17 Alexis Ajinca C Knee Expected to be out until at least Apr 7
11/22/17 Solomon Hill SF Hamstring Expected to be out until at least Feb 20
SACRAMENTO
01/29/18 Skal Labissiere PF Shoulder Game Time Decision Expected to be out until at least Feb 2
01/29/18 Malachi Richardson SG Ankle Game Time Decision Expected to be out until at least Feb 2
01/29/18 Garrett Temple SG Ankle Game Time Decision
01/26/18 Willie Cauley-Stein C Knee Expected to be out until at least Feb 2
01/18/18 Harry Giles PF Knee Out for the season
01/11/18 Frank Mason III PG Heel Expected to be out until at least Feb 9

What they haven't included is Coach Joerger. From everything I've read on Twitter, he's fine. I cannot see him voluntarily sitting out.

I don't care if we win. I just want to see the kids continue to put it all together. DeFox is becoming more and more fun to watch. I'm sure Bogs will recover from his off night, and I'd love to see Jackson continue to hit 3's.

Starters? Fox, Bogs, Jackson, Z-Bo and Koufos is my guess.

I LOVE THIS TEAM!

MOD NOTE: Updated injury info shown in red above.

Last edited:

SLAB

Hall of Famer
The NBA gods dealt me a real gut-punch when DMC went down. I haven't watched any action since, and I don't think I'll have it in me to watch this one especially.

Hopefully Grant isn't a passive aggressive ass.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The NBA gods dealt me a real gut-punch when DMC went down. I haven't watched any action since, and I don't think I'll have it in me to watch this one especially.

Silly SLAB.

I saw him go down live. As soon as I saw the replay and did not see and ankle turn or bang knees, I knew it was the Achilles.

Hindsight (bias) is 20/20, but I always thought about Boogie he was (1) extremely durable for his style of play and physicality and simultaneously (2) prime candidate for a ACL or Achilles.

When a player of his mass and mobility is playing on the perimeter with his dribble moves and whatnot, I think there is a lot of torque going on with the cutting and stress on the tendons . This adds up.

There has also been speculation that too much yoga is NOT good for you and can lead to increase risk of injury. Some stretching is good for you of course, but I know Boogie was a proponent of HOT YOGA. If you are doing stretches in 105 degree room you can actually overstretch.

Now whether this played a role or not, I don't know. I think it was a combination of aforementioned variables AND Coach Gentry playing Boogie a career high 36 MPG. Thats 4 MPG over his career average and 2 MPG more than he ever played with the Kings.

Should Gentry be second-guessed for this devastating injury? Hell yes! I was always a proponent of playing Boogie on the perimeter do his transcendent skillset for a man his size, and had debates with Bricklayer about the prudence of it, but even I would question the amount of time Boogie was spending out on the three point line.

He was launching 6 threes per game for them!

Anyway, it is a sad news for the NBA and Boogie and the fans looking forward to Boogie and his talent and volatility making first appearance in an NBA playoff game. They actually had a shot at the 5th seed, the Blazers in the 1st round and possibly the Warriors and Rockets in the 2nd round.

The nature of playoff basketball (high intensity, slow down) either would have led to a Boogie self-implosion or dominance. I think we would have seen both and unfortunately we are only left to imagine what might have been.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I can't remember which article it was in, but the idea they were working Boogie way too hard was brought up in one of them. IIRC Boogie even said he got a little perturbed when, after the double-overtime game, his trainer talked to him about working out. Of course, it was a naked quote, so I don't know the whole context. Either way, if I'm the owner of the Pelicans I'm doing a LOT of soul-searching right now.

In light of the despairing Cuz injury and us playing the Pelicans, I hope Bricklayer comes back to this forum. His statistical analyses are sorely missed.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Looks like Joerger is coming back "within the week".

http://www.nba.com/kings/news/update-dave-joerger#

Guess that means a possible no go tonight.
Well, if you're gonna go full tank, might as well include the head coach. I have every faith in Elston Turner to try his best but with apparently half the team suddenly among the walking wounded, this doesn't look like a good night to hope for a win. ;)

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I can't remember which article it was in, but the idea they were working Boogie way too hard was brought up in one of them. IIRC Boogie even said he got a little perturbed when, after the double-overtime game, his trainer talked to him about working out. Of course, it was a naked quote, so I don't know the whole context. Either way, if I'm the owner of the Pelicans I'm doing a LOT of soul-searching right now.
Watched the game, saw the post-game. I'm 99 percent sure it was a joke. The trainer in question was the S&C; Cousins was joking about how the S&C had the nerve to ask him if he wanted to lift after the game.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I still remember Reynolds giving some opinions about the Cousins situation after he was traded. In particular, he mentioned that by getting traded and not signing the huge contract with the Kings it was putting Cousins in a vulnerable position, one in which he could get injured in his contract year and damage his financial future relative to what he could have gotten with the Kings. He made a point to mention the injury factor. What an omen of things to come for Cousins.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Very happy to see, at least thus far, the refs not buying the poor acting of the Pels, who seem to be falling down on almost every possession.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Oops. Vince is not a happy King. What did Buddy do that earned him the very loud expletive from Vinsanity?