Kings over .500/playoff bound?

Vlade will not trade just for the sake of making a trade. He's only going to pull the trigger on a deal that he believes will definitely make us stronger - much like Petrie. I personally am not at all sure we're gonna see a trade before the deadline.
I'm very ok with a super conservative approach to trades at this time, as we are in a position of power no matter how you see it. Even if we sign Willie to a pricey contract, he's still a rare player and we will have ways to motivate him to showcase him for a trade if that's the route to take. I'm not worried in the least. No way we let him walk.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
A trade wound shore up our playoff push, when's it coming ?
"Trade wound" might be my favorite voice to text typo so far. Exempting of course my own. I guess I see this as particularly funny because I see a team working and don't want the coach for the management to mess with it at all until the end of the season. Unless of course you were talking about moving z-bo.

Vlade will not trade just for the sake of making a trade. He's only going to pull the trigger on a deal that he believes will definitely make us stronger - much like Petrie. I personally am not at all sure we're gonna see a trade before the deadline.
Not leveraging our expiring contracts for assets would be a mis-step for me. Vlade does like dreaming big and swinging for the fences though so maybe his foray into free agency with buckets of cash will be more fruitful than last time we did this song and dance - the fateful summer of going after Wes Matthews and Monta Ellis which achieved so much.

I back Vlade but I'm a gambler just like he and that's not necessarily the best way forward living in the hope that is FA.

As high as we all are on the future of this team, I do have to admit that I've been a bit down the past couple weeks seeing what some of the 2019 prospects have been doing (esp. Zion Williamson) all while knowing that the KINGS don't have their own 1st round pick this year. I was imagining the KINGS getting lucky again and adding yet another lottery talent to their roster.

But if they manage to make the postseason (and represent well) I'll get over it pretty darn quickly ;)

As high as we all are on the future of this team, I do have to admit that I've been a bit down the past couple weeks seeing what some of the 2019 prospects have been doing (esp. Zion Williamson) all while knowing that the KINGS don't have their own 1st round pick this year. I was imagining the KINGS getting lucky again and adding yet another lottery talent to their roster.

But if they manage to make the postseason (and represent well) I'll get over it pretty darn quickly ;)
I take solace knowing that we are watching a near future playoff team with the current roster. Don't discount the improvement that players like Fox and Bagley are bound to make.

.500 is the primary goal for the season, With a secondary goal of making the play-offs. They're on track, but still currently trying to break out of a slump. Wins like against the Hornets are essential - against teams with similar records. Lucky for the Kings other teams get to beat up on one another too.

Last edited:

That’s the beauty of this year. Nothing in your brain to make you somehow regret cheering for wins. Don’t worry about the ‘what-ifs’, just enjoy watching and rooting for a team to win!:)

Kingster

Hall of Famer
That’s the beauty of this year. Nothing in your brain to make you somehow regret cheering for wins. Don’t worry about the ‘what-ifs’, just enjoy watching and rooting for a team to win!:)
We also really need to route for a team to lose. Just not the Kings. So how about getting a first rounder from some team this year so we can route for their doom and disaster?

Last edited:
We also really need to route for a team to lose. Just not the Kings. So how about getting a first rounder from some team this year so we can root for their doom and disaster?
Well this season we get the 2nd best 2nd rounder between Orl, Cle and Houston. We also get the most favorable between Lakers and Twolves.

Can always root for better 2nd rounders, who knows what we can parlay them into.

Kings might be getting a small gift from the Pelicans if they hold on to beat Clippers. The more the lower .500 teams bring the upper teams down, the better it is for the Kings. You want a dang hootenanny when it comes closer to playoff time. You want 13 teams all around .500 record. Textbook on what a league should be. It effectively becomes playoff intensity basketball weeks before the actual playoffs.

Kings might be getting a small gift from the Pelicans if they hold on to beat Clippers. The more the lower .500 teams bring the upper teams down, the better it is for the Kings. You want a dang hootenanny when it comes closer to playoff time. You want 13 teams all around .500 record. Textbook on what a league should be. It effectively becomes playoff intensity basketball weeks before the actual playoffs.
On one hand it's good to have everyone playing their best every night so that teams ahead of us get no easy wins. On the other hand we want some teams to throw in the towel so we can exercise our trade chips by the deadline.

On one hand it's good to have everyone playing their best every night so that teams ahead of us get no easy wins. On the other hand we want some teams to throw in the towel so we can exercise our trade chips by the deadline.
Wel, I lolve the parity......its what any league would want - mean competitive games all over the place....you can't ask for more that.....I dont think the Kings should be trading anyone right now actually....if anything they need to let it ride another season. Several of their weaker players will be FAs anyway.....

Need to win the next 3. Feb gets really tough. @Charlotte, @Detroit and @Brooklyn are almost must wins to make the playoffs.

Whether we make the play-offs or not the Kings are having a great year and showing a real promising future.
And all 3 teams with big wins dropping Spurts, Clippers, Celtics..

Wel, I lolve the parity......its what any league would want - mean competitive games all over the place....you can't ask for more that.....I dont think the Kings should be trading anyone right now actually....if anything they need to let it ride another season. Several of their weaker players will be FAs anyway.....
We have all the enders and with guys like Z-Bo I feel like swapping an expiring for a player with an extra year or two and a pick would be better than nothing. Then we can flip that guy when he comes due.

Unless the team really thinks it has the shot at landing an elite FA this summer we have nothing to lose.

Our team is really solid and improving as a unit, and that positive growth as a team is really showing in these games against tough opponents. I think whats most exciting is how we executed in late game. We finished strong . With each game a new aspect of our team improves.

Players who made impression

JJ, really killing it since his career high game. His defence is solid too. He hustles.
Bagley, dude had some vet moves in his game, and his pivot game is on point. Spreads the floor really well and fights for rebounds.
Giles, his improvement is exciting. He has really good court vision and he fights for his chance to compete. Underdog written all over him. His passing is really nice too.
Yogi is like having another DeAaron come in and I think it's hilarious. Our PGs RUN. Like a damn pack of Gazelles. I've never been super disappointed with Yogis play in the past few games. Nice having a reliable second string back court.

Disappointed to see Beli and Shump struggle so much. Shump is a work horse though and fights on D. He also seems to keep the guys together mentally on the floor. Wish he'd at least hit his open 3s decently.

We fought hard for this. Portland likes to play physical an we bullied them often. good run boys.

Just chiming in to say that, barring injury, the Kings are going to make the playoffs.

Our bench, with those two young bigs, is simply dominant. We have three level scoring with Bags down low, Giles all over, and Bogie bombing threes. Both bigs are active, have a motor, and give a damn on defense. Plus both rebound outside of their areas.

Rebounding and impact wise, reminds me of the young Brian Grant & Michael Smith duo--but both Bags and Giles have so much more upside.