Kings-Nuggets discuss Watson for Bonzi Deal (merged)

This was posted on bleachermob...

An item in Marc Spears' column:

Bonzi to Denver?

With the trade deadline arriving Thursday, the latest Nuggets trade rumors include a deal sending point guard Earl Watson to Sacramento for shooting guard Bonzi Wells. A move sending Watson and guard Voshon Lenard, who wants to be traded, for Wells would work financially. Adding Wells, who is averaging 14.6 points, 7.9 rebounds, 3.1 assists and 1.8 steals, could give Denver a much-needed, starting-caliber shooting guard who could get $8 million as a free agent this summer. Wells also has a good relationship with Nuggets assistant Tim Grgurich, who coached him at Portland.

Word is the Nuggets could still acquire Orlando guard Steve Francis in a three-way trade that includes New York and send injured Nuggets forward-center Nene to Orlando and Watson to the Knicks. The deal would not include Denver forward Kenyon Martin.

Hmm I would rather have Kenyon Martin than Watson and Lenard, but they would make us significantly deeper and a better shooting team. Mike would actually have a backup again and I like Kevin's game more than Bonzi's anyways.

If we have to give up Bonzi to Denver, I'd try real hard to get Nene too. Sure, it didn't work last summer, but he wasn't out for the year then.

Entity

Hall of Famer
4 point guards is crazy though we would need to send hart packing somewher as well. Maybe Hart and Corlis for NeNe as well

Wells and Hart to Denver for Nene and Watson works under the CBA.

Imagine a healthy Nene and this line-up:

Nene
Artest
Miller
Martin
Bibby

Thomas
SAR
Skinner
Cisco
Watson

Making this deal happen pretty much says we're throwing in the season for next year, but I'm okay with that.

And, if by some weird reason a trade like this does happen, we'd have one unhappy Thomas on the bench. So, what do you all think?

Last edited:
I'd personally prefer we wait and get a better idea on how Artest and Bonzi play together, and then decide whether or not to send him to another team in the summer.

Why int he hell would the kings want to do this deal, unless they just do not want to resign Bonzi, or know that he isn't going to stay, or don't want to give himt he money he's going to require. I mean ok we'd have a better back up point guard, but I don't mind garcia filling that roll. But, Watson AND loenard. I mean come on we'd have 4 point guards on the team. There would have to be another team or another seperate deal involved. This deal wouldn't please me at all I'd rather keep bonzi.

Entity

Hall of Famer
I am with you. I am all for Martin starting and having a 3pt shooter coming off the bench when needed but for a 4th point guard with 4 more years left starting at 5 mil that is not needed unless like you said another team is involved or NeNe is involved somehow. Hart would have to go regaurdless

Entity

Hall of Famer
I am for Martin starting but i like Garcia getting the backup PG duties and NeNe is a FA also after this season so basically we would be getting a 4th point we don't need with a large contract and an injured FA. So Leonard would have to be involved for us to get anything. He would be used to help spread the floor more for Ron Artest and is a proven 3pt shooter that we wouldn't have to rely on for his scoring as Denver does.

Entity said:
who cares about bobby. he gave us nothing the last 2 years he was here. we were lucky to get anybody for him
I care about giving Bobby away...he seems to be doing well for a mid-seed playoff team now

DocHolliday said:
Why int he hell would the kings want to do this deal, unless they just do not want to resign Bonzi, or know that he isn't going to stay, or don't want to give himt he money he's going to require. I mean ok we'd have a better back up point guard, but I don't mind garcia filling that roll. But, Watson AND loenard. I mean come on we'd have 4 point guards on the team. There would have to be another team or another seperate deal involved. This deal wouldn't please me at all I'd rather keep bonzi.
Because we need a pg that can play defense who is better then Hart. Also we have yung sgs needing playing time.

I don't know why this looks so bad to all of you. Backup PG is the Kings most glaring weakness, and Bonzi is no guarantee either to resign or even to remain a boy scout for the rest of the season.

It would be great to get while the getting is good on Bonzi. I'm cool with this deal. I think Bonzi is a ticking time bomb - a much worse citizen than Artest.

Voshon Lenard can fill it up from downtown too!

Kenny Thomas and Bonzi Wells give me the creeps chemistry wise. I wouldn't mind losing both those guys before the deadline. Not that I don't appreciate Bonzi's contribution this year, but now Artest is "that guy".

BTW I like this deal as it would not allow Bonzi to walk for nothing...a stop-ap on the recent talent bleeding of this organization.

Entity

Hall of Famer
surley this would not be the only move we make as it is crazy to have that much of a log jam a the pg position. eeehh maybe we should all quit trying to analyze this and wait for GP to work his magic if in fact this rumor is legit

Not in relation to Garcia; Watson also brings defense, experience, athleticism, and has improved his shot to pretty good.

Hart would be not played much or traded.

If not Lenard, a R1 pick would be involved. Lenard would be involved though.

Entity

Hall of Famer
i can see where the new format is going to get confusing when something big comes up such as this sure its a personnel move but its also big kings news in general so where does it go???

It was already posted in the personnel moves forum first like 2 hours ago in the old trade thread that was here in the Kings forum, then another thread with the RealGM article (which you aren't allowed to post the RealGM links) and link in the personnel forum.

Francisco d'Anconia said:
I don't know why this looks so bad to all of you. Backup PG is the Kings most glaring weakness, and Bonzi is no guarantee either to resign or even to remain a boy scout for the rest of the season.

It would be great to get while the getting is good on Bonzi. I'm cool with this deal. I think Bonzi is a ticking time bomb - a much worse citizen than Artest.

Voshon Lenard can fill it up from downtown too!

Kenny Thomas and Bonzi Wells give me the creeps chemistry wise. I wouldn't mind losing both those guys before the deadline. Not that I don't appreciate Bonzi's contribution this year, but now Artest is "that guy".
Actually I know numerous people who have met Bonzi in public in a nightclub atmosphere. Hung with him all night. He was nothing but nice, and was not shunning people away. Just acting like a regular patron. That's insane to think there is any problem with Bonzi's attitude or citizenship.

If we are to not trade Bonzi I say that we plan to give him the money he's going to require and talk to him NOW about his true feelings and about what we would be willing to offer. We have young SG's that need playing time you are right, but they also need to bulk up in a bad way. We are tougher with Bonzi all around. Let's not forget what he did for this team before his groin injury.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I wouldn't have too much of a problem with this move. It addresses the gaping black hole at backup PG, it moves Bonzi so he doesn't just walk, I won't have a seizure seeing Jason Hart come onto the court, and it gives us a 3 pt. threat.