[Grades] Kings @ Nuggets, 12/23/2020

Grade the win

• Total voters

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
(Please note that against all appearances, I have a life outside of this so don’t expect one of these from me every game, especially if we start really really sucking:cool:)

Marvin Bagley [B-] - 27 min, 13 pts (5/14 fg, 0/4 3pg), 9 rbs, 0 asts, 0 stls, 1 blk, 2 tov, 2 fouls
He’s finally healthy! Regardless of your opinion of him as a player, you have got to admit that it’s nice to finally see Marvin out on the floor. Admittedly, he played with the rust and jitters that you would expect a guy who has essentially been injured an entire season to have. Forced things badly in his first stint but really settled down after that despite not having the best night offensively. Physically, Bagley is much bigger than he was as a rookie but he’s still got that great second jump and really attacked the glass against a pretty large Denver team. Got targeted by Malone and Joker but managed to not get totally destroyed on defense and even made a couple nice contributions on that end. Wound up fouling out because Jokic moves at a snails pace and knows how to use his body.

Harrison Barnes [B+] - 42 min, 21 pts, 9 rbs, 5 asts, 2 stls, 0 blks, 1 tov, 1 fl
A long, long time ago, Harrison Barnes was ranked among the best high school prospects to ever play the game. This was, for one night, Harrison fulfilling that potential. Harrison made players on both ends of the floor, including tough defense on Jokic on the last play that resulted in a fastbreak dunk (that he got blocked/fouled on) and a bunch of nice passes to keep the ball moving throughout the night. If there were any flaw to his game tonight, it would be his outside shot abandoning him but him pretty much taking over overtime makes up for that pretty well. I don’t expect this every night but the same general style of play would be nice.

Richaun Holmes [C-] -
If there were any one player on the team that had a "bad" night, it was Holmes. Got absolutely bodied by Joker at times and generally struggled on both ends of the floor. At the same time, he gave the effort you’d expect from him and rebounded well before fouling out early in the fourth quarter.

Buddy Hield [C+] -
Let’s get this out of the way, Buddy had an absolutely bad first half and end of regulation. He did however, win us the game with pure hustle. Throughout the entire Buddy saga, the one thing you could never really question was his effort level while playing the game. You could question how he channeled that energy at times but the man is one of the best in the game at moving in transition and moving without the ball. This year, while still a young season, Buddy seems to be applying that same hustle to the defensive end of the floor. While he’ll never be Doug Christie out there, if Buddy plays defense like this all year, there Is absolutely no reason he shouldn’t be getting huge minutes every night even with all the brain farts considered.

De’Aaron Fox [B-] -
In my game thread post, I advocated not being too hard on Fox after his contract extension but, ho boy, did things look rough to start the game n.Missed a bunch of jumpers to start things off before finally realizing he could get to the paint at will at halftime. In the second half, he was probably our best overall player: attacking on offense and playing solid defense, including a game-saving out of nowhere block that led to Barnes tying the game. In the final sequence, he was the one who got the ball after Barnes knocked it loose and made the heady move to pass it ahead rather than try to take the last shot himself. Overall, the stats are pretty close to where they were last year but hopefully Swipa’s play down the stretch is just step one in his ”eff Amin campaign”

Cory Joseph [B+} -
It's CoJo contract season! The Kings don’t win this without Cory’s first quarter. While he’s always been a solid defender, the issue with CoJo has always been his propensity for taking the air out of the ball on offense but for whatever reason, while that still happened at times, he also hit some solid spot up threes tonight. If 3-and-D is actually a sustainable thing for the Kings, that changes the prospects of the season entirely, seeing as Luke Walton seems hellbent on playing him major minute every night. If regular CoJo remains default CoJo... Well, hopefully, this game boosted his trade value.

Tyrese Haliburton [A-] -
And the shiny new toy makes his big league debut. While the stat line is nice on its own, it absolutely does not tell the whole story about Haliburton's impact on this game. On defense, Tyrese remains one of the most impressive rookies in recent memory. Despite his general lack of bulk, Haliburton is already a terror on that end of the floor, using his length and range to affect passing angles and doing nifty things like receiving when he gets beat on drives to the point that he can block jumpers from behind. On offense, the dude is a remarkably heady glue guy, never forcing the issue (he had ZERO turnovers in thirty minutes!) and hitting shots despite his shooting stroke looking like something you'd make up to make the dudes at the local YMCA laugh during your pickup basketball games. If there was one flaw to Tyrese's game tonight it was that he was so intent on helping his team on defense that he lost track of his own guy on a couple of possessions and also the simple fact that I'm not quite sure he's got a grasp of how good he is on offense yet. But those are easily correctable things and nothing about how Tyrese has played to start his career has discouraged me from thinking that the Kings have acquired a key player for the next decade plus.

Hassan Whiteside [B+]-
Somewhere Bricklayer smiles as the promise of having a massive paint defender like Hassan come off the bench finally comes to fruition... Just ten years after we drafted him. No one‘s ever gonna accuse Hassan of being fast but his sheer size in the paint both gives our guards an instant lob target and immediate makes other teams scared of attacking the paint. Forced to play heavy minutes in the 4th as the rest of the bigs on the team fouled out and started to lose some effectiveness in crunch time and OT (but had a really nice block to stop a basket though) but overall it was as good of a debut for the big guy as you could have hoped for. Just don’t ask him to shoot.

Nemanja Bjelica [C] -
As the sort of forgotten fourth big in Luke's ninth man rotation, Bjeli had a typically solid night though he continues to have baffling issues shooting the ball that will surely end up in him randomly destroying some poor team with a 30-point night in which he is automatic from 40-ft out. Defensively, Bjelica seems to have settled into a groove as a designated help guy and on offense, the man wound up with two assists and ten points despite just sorta existing for sixteen minutes and them being relegated to Mateen duty as Walton went small to end the game.

Last edited:

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Marvin Bagley [B-] - 27 min, 13 pts (5/14 fg, 0/4 3pg), 9 rbs, 0 asts, 0 stls, 1 blk, 2 tov, 2 fouls
He’s finally healthy! Regardless of your opinion of him as a player, you have got to admit that it’s nice to finally see Marvin out on the floor. Admittedly, he played with the rust and jitters that you would expect a guy who has essentially been injured an entire season to have. Forced things badly in his first stint but really settled down after that despite not having the best night offensively. Physically, Bagley is much bigger than he was as a rookie but he’s still got that great second jump and really attacked the glass against a pretty large Denver team. Got targeted by Malone and Joker but managed to not get totally destroyed on defense and even made a couple nice contributions on that end. Wound up fouling out because Jokic moves at a snails pace and knows how to use his body.
Rough night, fouling out with only 2 on the books. ;)

Thanks for doing this, even if it is on a part-time or intermittent basis!

Agree with most of the grades, except:

Cojo gets an A, because he played above his mean score. Made shots. Maybe this is contract year Joseph (I know next year is partially guaranteed, but...)

Buddy gets a C. Because had he not put that last shot back, he would've deserved a D+ for his play tonight with those three turnovers in the 4Q--one was of the buddy fingers kind, two were of the just plain dumb kind (throwing the ball across the court into the hands of a defender). To be fair, Fox had one of those too. Think they both see Haliburton doing it and think they can too. Lolzzz.

Bags gets a C. I expect more. His three wasn't falling and he kept on triangulating. First it was too long, then too short, then an air ball. I don't mind him trying. His passing was non-existent. And Denver was attacking him all night. He did better physically on the ball, but was a kangeroo while playing against a turtle (who did his usual triple double turtle things), was over playing his man on the perimeter, which lead to easy drives, and he over rotated on two doubles. Hines needs to sit Bags down, show him film, and beat the following into him:

THE OBJECTIVE IS TO MAKE A DEFENSIVE PLAY AT THE RIGHT TIME. JUMPING THREE TIMES BEFORE THE OPPOSING PLAYER? THAT DOES NOT GET YOU EXTRA POINTS. YOU JUMP YOURSELF OUT OF POSITION OR INTO A FOUL. CROWDING A NON-SHOOTING THREAT ON THE PERIMETER IS JUST A NO-NO. AND USE BOTH HANDS (AND FEET IN TERMS OF POSITIONING) ON DEFENSE, YOU'RE MAKING YOURSELF PLAY SMALLER THAN YOU REALLY ARE.

Entity

Hall of Famer
One would charitably say it's because he was wondering why they were even reviewing a clearly in-time buzzer beater but I'm halfway sure it's because he didn't know why his players were celebrating.
I’m guessing he put his head down on the missed dunk and didn’t see the buddy put back

But time was up and Buddy had already scored so he was just wasting time fighting a battle that his team had already won.
Agreed, but bad call scrunchy face is coaching 101 regardless of the circumstance. (Even though it appears to be a clean block)

I’m not sure that’s what he was doing either, just seemed like one possibility

Bags gets a C. I expect more. His three wasn't falling and he kept on triangulating. First it was too long, then too short, then an air ball. I don't mind him trying. His passing was non-existent. And Denver was attacking him all night. He did better physically on the ball, but was a kangeroo while playing against a turtle (who did his usual triple double turtle things), was over playing his man on the perimeter, which lead to easy drives, and he over rotated on two doubles. Hines needs to sit Bags down, show him film, and beat the following into him:

THE OBJECTIVE IS TO MAKE A DEFENSIVE PLAY AT THE RIGHT TIME. JUMPING THREE TIMES BEFORE THE OPPOSING PLAYER? THAT DOES NOT GET YOU EXTRA POINTS. YOU JUMP YOURSELF OUT OF POSITION OR INTO A FOUL. CROWDING A NON-SHOOTING THREAT ON THE PERIMETER IS JUST A NO-NO. AND USE BOTH HANDS (AND FEET IN TERMS OF POSITIONING) ON DEFENSE, YOU'RE MAKING YOURSELF PLAY SMALLER THAN YOU REALLY ARE. [/QUOTE]

Saw the same things. My hope is that these mistakes on defense were so obvious and teachable, the he corrects them quickly. The passing is going to take a while. The rebounding looked good - and folks often forget that closing out the possession is part of defense. He’s still a good prospect - and as a small ball center this season, he could be really dynamic.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
One would charitably say it's because he was wondering why they were even reviewing a clearly in-time buzzer beater but I'm halfway sure it's because he didn't know why his players were celebrating.
This feels like an apple/tree sort of moment.

Agree with most of the grades, except:

Cojo gets an A, because he played above his mean score. Made shots. Maybe this is contract year Joseph (I know next year is partially guaranteed, but...)

Buddy gets a C. Because had he not put that last shot back, he would've deserved a D+ for his play tonight with those three turnovers in the 4Q--one was of the buddy fingers kind, two were of the just plain dumb kind (throwing the ball across the court into the hands of a defender). To be fair, Fox had one of those too. Think they both see Haliburton doing it and think they can too. Lolzzz.

THE OBJECTIVE IS TO MAKE A DEFENSIVE PLAY AT THE RIGHT TIME. JUMPING THREE TIMES BEFORE THE OPPOSING PLAYER? THAT DOES NOT GET YOU EXTRA POINTS. YOU JUMP YOURSELF OUT OF POSITION OR INTO A FOUL. CROWDING A NON-SHOOTING THREAT ON THE PERIMETER IS JUST A NO-NO. AND USE BOTH HANDS (AND FEET IN TERMS OF POSITIONING) ON DEFENSE, YOU'RE MAKING YOURSELF PLAY SMALLER THAN YOU REALLY ARE.
Your Buddy hate is reaching irrational levels. 22 points on 15 shots with 19 of his 22 points coming in the 2nd half. Even got a steal on Jokic in the 4th with Jokic backing him down on a possession right after Holmes and Bagley both got worked by him. The turnovers came at a bad time but Buddy was really good on both sides of the ball.

Thanks! I'd say the same to you but, honestly, I sorta expected the Jazz to beat the Blazers anyways
Thanks, we should be decent again this year.

Having Favors back really helps the bench on both sides of the floor.

I am not a big fan of Mike Conley on this team. He is pretty much a less good (at this point) version of Donovan Mitchell and too short to really defend.

Good dude, bad fit.

Good call on Bagley D. He struggled a little off the bat, but thought he played some good D on Jokic later in the game. Buddy played some good D as well. Basically they won this game with defense...
EC282EBE-8F36-44CD-874E-A48EEB4570DB.gif

Your Buddy hate is reaching irrational levels. 22 points on 15 shots with 19 of his 22 points coming in the 2nd half. Even got a steal on Jokic in the 4th with Jokic backing him down on a possession right after Holmes and Bagley both got worked by him. The turnovers came at a bad time but Buddy was really good on both sides of the ball.
Agree with your assessment. We should be looking for effort and growth, not perfection. Buddy heard the criticism from his coaches about his defense and he's putting all he has into it. That can actually lead to a decreased offensive production, but he was able to balance it out this game.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Thanks, we should be decent again this year.

Having Favors back really helps the bench on both sides of the floor.

I am not a big fan of Mike Conley on this team. He is pretty much a less good (at this point) version of Donovan Mitchell and too short to really defend.

Good dude, bad fit.
You guys unfortunately traded for him right as age finally started to catch up with him. But hopefully he's healthier and better integrated into Synder's system this year. Having Bojan healthy should help too

Where’s the love for Coach Walton?

I think Luke out coached Malone tonight. Luke pulled the right strings to keep the Kings close all game. From managing the fouling out of the bigs and keeping a rookie on the floor during crunch time.

He made the all the right defense for offense switches to close out the game and the OT.

If coach can keep up the focus on keeping the Kings close in games, with a chance to win at the end, the Kings may surprise this year! :)

Coach Walton: A-

dude12

Hall of Famer
I give Walton a C.....he Was forced to play Whiteside at the end. He overplayed Cojo who made shots. Don’t expect Cojo to continue to make those shots. And I thought he could have went offense and defense type subs down the stretch with Bjelica for Whiteside when we needed a bucket. Would have opened things up a bit for Fox.

But I’ll never give Walton credit for anything.