Kings Notes: Roster is trimmed; Barnes makes it

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/basketball/kings/story/11295486p-12210625c.html
=========================
[font=verdana,geneva,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Kings notes: Roster is trimmed; Barnes make it

By Martin McNeal -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PST Tuesday, November 2, 2004

Get the latest news in sacbee.com's Kings Alert newsletter. Sign up here.
DALLAS - Ultimately, it was a long, extended and awkward process, but the Kings pared their roster to 12 active players and one on the injured list Monday.

Home-grown swingman Matt Barnes, jumping-jack Maurice Evans and longshot rookie Erik Daniels were included on the active roster with veteran center Greg Ostertag, who was signed as a free agent; first-round draft choice Kevin Martin; and holdovers Mike Bibby, Doug Christie, Bobby Jackson, Brad Miller, Darius Songaila, Peja Stojakovic and Chris Webber.

The stunt of the camp, however, might have been pulled off by scorer Courtney Alexander, a free-agent signee who was placed on the injured list even though he participated in just two practices and played in one game.

The Kings' decision-making process in some ways was clouded by the unknown status of Ostertag (fractured right hand) and Christie (plantar fasciitis, left foot).

Only Monday morning did results of Ostertag's X-rays show healing impressive enough to have him cleared to do whatever he wants, Kings coach Rick Adelman said.

"Once we found out Greg would be able to play," Adelman said, "that meant we had enough big men, at least in terms of centers. And the decision was going to be either Alton (Ford) or Erik (Daniels). Matt and Maurice really had played well and earned their spots."

In waiving second-round pick Ricky Minard and free-agent signee David Bluthenthal, the Kings ate nearly $400,000 in guaranteed money to those two.

"I have to thank the Maloofs who allowed us to make decisions on who the best basketball players were regardless of guaranteed money," Adelman said.

The Kings also had to wait to hear from Christie on how his foot had handled Sunday's practice. And again the response was positive. So neither Ostertag nor Christie have to go on the injured list.

Adelman said he regretted having to wait so long to make cuts. Those players waived came to practice Monday morning, then were told individually that they hadn't made the team.

Et cetera - Adelman said the minutes played by Ostertag and Christie will be monitored.

* Tonight, it will be Evans, Martin or Barnes starting at shooting guard, Adelman said, depending on whom Dallas uses. The coach said Evans worked with the first unit Monday during scrimmages, and Christie was there during a non-contact walkthrough.

About the writer:

[/font]

slugking50 said:
http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/basketball/kings/story/11295486p-12210625c.html
=========================
[font=verdana,geneva,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Kings notes: Roster is trimmed; Barnes make it

By Martin McNeal -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PST Tuesday, November 2, 2004

Get the latest news in sacbee.com's Kings Alert newsletter. Sign up here.
DALLAS - Ultimately, it was a long, extended and awkward process, but the Kings pared their roster to 12 active players and one on the injured list Monday.

Home-grown swingman Matt Barnes, jumping-jack Maurice Evans and longshot rookie Erik Daniels were included on the active roster with veteran center Greg Ostertag, who was signed as a free agent; first-round draft choice Kevin Martin; and holdovers Mike Bibby, Doug Christie, Bobby Jackson, Brad Miller, Darius Songaila, Peja Stojakovic and Chris Webber.

The stunt of the camp, however, might have been pulled off by scorer Courtney Alexander, a free-agent signee who was placed on the injured list even though he participated in just two practices and played in one game.

The Kings' decision-making process in some ways was clouded by the unknown status of Ostertag (fractured right hand) and Christie (plantar fasciitis, left foot).

Only Monday morning did results of Ostertag's X-rays show healing impressive enough to have him cleared to do whatever he wants, Kings coach Rick Adelman said.

"Once we found out Greg would be able to play," Adelman said, "that meant we had enough big men, at least in terms of centers. And the decision was going to be either Alton (Ford) or Erik (Daniels). Matt and Maurice really had played well and earned their spots."

In waiving second-round pick Ricky Minard and free-agent signee David Bluthenthal, the Kings ate nearly $400,000 in guaranteed money to those two.

"I have to thank the Maloofs who allowed us to make decisions on who the best basketball players were regardless of guaranteed money," Adelman said.

The Kings also had to wait to hear from Christie on how his foot had handled Sunday's practice. And again the response was positive. So neither Ostertag nor Christie have to go on the injured list.

Adelman said he regretted having to wait so long to make cuts. Those players waived came to practice Monday morning, then were told individually that they hadn't made the team.

Et cetera - Adelman said the minutes played by Ostertag and Christie will be monitored.

* Tonight, it will be Evans, Martin or Barnes starting at shooting guard, Adelman said, depending on whom Dallas uses. The coach said Evans worked with the first unit Monday during scrimmages, and Christie was there during a non-contact walkthrough.

About the writer:

[/font]
I'm not a resident of Sacramento but this beat writer is horrid,lol. I said I was biased but I really cant wait till Courtney comes back and shows this cat what warrented him being a lottery pick. If it was something where the Courtney was saying "i cant play" you think they would have kept him. He has been at every game and practice which was appreciated by NO fans even tho Courtney was out for the season last year, after his rehab he was at every NO game home and away. Baron Davis all last year wore Courtney's wristband that he wears in support with his name and number on it.

I agree, I think Courtney might be the better than all the other pickups Kings fans are excited over right now (Barnes, Martin).

JSin said:
I agree, I think Courtney might be the better than all the other pickups Kings fans are excited over right now (Barnes, Martin).
Can't wait to see it. It would be nice if a pickup that everyone has kind of forgotten about turns out to be the missing element for the Kings.

It'll be nice to see if evans will come out with the starting five, he's the athleticism they need out there with miller and webber.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Although a lot of the fans aren't convinced Alexander is going to do much good for us, it's obvious Petrie still has faith in him...

And, as JSin first said a long time ago...

"In Petrie we trust!!!"

GO KINGS!!!

slugking50 said:
[font=verdana,geneva,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]

[/font]
I think that Evans should start out of the available options.

I'm not a resident of Sacramento but this beat writer is horrid,lol. I said I was biased but I really cant wait till Courtney comes back and shows this cat what warrented him being a lottery pick.
Marty Mac is horrid? I disagree. He is a little blunt, at times, but he usually tells it like it is.....and he knows, he has the MOST access to the team

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Truconfidence said:
I'm not a resident of Sacramento but this beat writer is horrid,lol. I said I was biased but I really cant wait till Courtney comes back and shows this cat what warrented him being a lottery pick. If it was something where the Courtney was saying "i cant play" you think they would have kept him. He has been at every game and practice which was appreciated by NO fans even tho Courtney was out for the season last year, after his rehab he was at every NO game home and away. Baron Davis all last year wore Courtney's wristband that he wears in support with his name and number on it.
HUH? Courtney is on the IL because he is injured and hasn't played because he was injured. He played in 2 preseaon games I think then tweaked his ankle. And Marty McNeal knows more about the real Kings situations than most of us combined. ;)

CruzDude said:
HUH? Courtney is on the IL because he is injured and hasn't played because he was injured. He played in 2 preseaon games I think then tweaked his ankle. And Marty McNeal knows more about the real Kings situations than most of us combined. ;)
I dont agree most beat writers dont know alot about the teams they cover "Basketball-wise", they place their own asserations which have no basis in any basketball knowledge. I was reading his comments throughout camp and they dont jive with what has happened at all. So far he hasnt said anything of any value, besides reporting on who practiced and who hasnt.
I know Courtney is injured Im talking about that sentence is charged with the sarcasm that Courtney is not playing cause Courtney decided not too.

Truconfidence said:
I dont agree most beat writers dont know alot about the teams they cover "Basketball-wise", they place their own asserations which have no basis in any basketball knowledge. I was reading his comments throughout camp and they dont jive with what has happened at all. So far he hasnt said anything of any value, besides reporting on who practiced and who hasnt.
I know Courtney is injured Im talking about that sentence is charged with the sarcasm that Courtney is not playing cause Courtney decided not too.
Than splain away why hes highly espected by Media, Fans, and Players alike? Everybody wrong and your right?:p

slugking50 said:
Than splain away why hes highly espected by Media, Fans, and Players alike? Everybody wrong and your right?:p
He may be, but so is Peter Veacey of the New york Post, and he is an idiot too,lol....that reasoning isnt selling me, may sell you but not me.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Truconfidence said:
He may be, but so is Peter Veacey of the New york Post, and he is an idiot too,lol....that reasoning isnt selling me, may sell you but not me.
Viper isn't much "respected" by anybody as a sportwriter. Good at selling papers though.

As for Marty, have no idea how his standing is amongst peers. But he's always seemed rock solid as beat reporter. Bit stodgy. But dependable.

Truconfidence said:
If Vescey were respected s much why isnt he on one of the National shows? It isnt cause he doesnt want to have his mug on there.

Bricklayer said:
As for Marty, have no idea how his standing is amongst peers. But he's always seemed rock solid as beat reporter. Bit stodgy. But dependable.
A couple times a year on the radio you'll hear national media praise Marty as one of the best. And a few weeks ago I heard it on one of the preseason games. I believe it was Mike Breem but dont quote me.

so far i like what ive seen out of Matt Barnes....he really seems to be working hard in order to make it on this kings team

plus he's a cutie....im sorry but i couldn't ignore that

slugking50 said:
If Vescey were respected s much why isnt he on one of the National shows? It isnt cause he doesnt want to have his mug on there.

he does he is on TNT every week and on NBA TV, so even the league must think he has a worthwhile opinion, which I dont think he does.

"A couple times a year on the radio you'll hear national media praise Marty as one of the best. And a few weeks ago I heard it on one of the preseason games. I believe it was Mike Breem but dont quote me."

its cool, He may be, I just dont agree with him so far in my little bit of reading him.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Marty McNeal is the rare bird who can report accurately about a team without alienating players OR fans.

Whatever you may know about "most beat writers," it doesn't apply to Marty.