Kings most difficult NBA team to root for?

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Just glancing at it I thought it might make sense with all the instability swirling around but then they have the Blazers real high on the list too. Seems like years between championships factors a little too heavily - I think that stat is overrated, when you finally win it is a much bigger deal than rooting for the favorite that might win once or twice in five years but have 10 seasons where they are say 4th best be considered colossal disappointments.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Funny, it's harder for me to root for any other team in the league besides the Kings. I will say it's hard to have anything positive to say about Mr. George Maloof. I'd like to see him feathered and tarred, and then dragged by horse from Sac all the way back to Vegas.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
If your a die hard fan like most of us are, then of course it's going to be easier to root for them. I think what the article was trying to accomplish was it's difficult for some more than others to follow a team that's been in this long of a drought since a championship and even when they won that ship it wasn't for this city. As far as the Blazers are concerned, they have some of the best fans in the league IMO and they are loyal and support their team no matter what.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
As far as the Blazers are concerned, they have some of the best fans in the league IMO and they are loyal and support their team no matter what.
I would say that they are just as to slightly more fickle than Kings fans of recent years to be honest, when I moved here it was before Roy and the arena was half full most nights. I had no problem getting free tickets to see top teams for the first year or two I was here. Of course when they retooled their roster things exploded every night and it was back to the good old days and everyone it seemed was on the bandwagon. At that point being a Blazers fan seemed "easy" - easy tickets, team on the rise so you could claim some kind of loyalty to a loser, young team full of potential all-stars. Things aren't looking quite as bright these days but it doesn't seem like they are hard to root for by any means. Plus they are the only big 4 sports team in town just like the Kings in Sacramento which provides a huge advantage.

In my eyes hardest teams to root for would be a team like Minnesota where you have all 4 major sports and a team with no history yet they are ranked 12 ahead of better teams both currently and historically.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Hey, its the John Hollinger approach to sports columns -- make up a stat where you determine all the variables and how they should be weighted, then write a story about its significance.

I think in the end the list gets broad categories right, but it doesn't work on its own terms because it terribly terribly overrates titles as apparently the main/only cornerstone of fan rooting. If you are going to do a list like this, a safer bet might be last time the team contendended/was great/packed the house. That of course helps the Kings and so may seem self serving, but I will take it as self evident that the Kings still have a ton of fans and name recognition form the era a decade ago, even though they haven't won a title in forever. I will also take it as self evident that the Blazers multiple brushes with greatness have left them far from a bad draw. The Clippers...well, that's another story.

Besides, if this guy was right, it would just reinforce the superiority of Kings fans to everyone else, especially Lakers fans. ;)

Hey, its the John Hollinger approach to sports columns -- make up a stat where you determine all the variables and how they should be weighted, then write a story about its significance.

I think in the end the list gets broad categories right, but it doesn't work on its own terms because it terribly terribly overrates titles as apparently the main/only cornerstone of fan rooting. If you are going to do a list like this, a safer bet might be last time the team contendended/was great/packed the house. That of course helps the Kings and so may seem self serving, but I will take it as self evident that the Kings still have a ton of fans and name recognition form the era a decade ago, even though they haven't won a title in forever. I will also take it as self evident that the Blazers multiple brushes with greatness have left them far from a bad draw. The Clippers...well, that's another story.

Besides, if this guy was right, it would just reinforce the superiority of Kings fans to everyone else, especially Lakers fans. ;)
Exactly what I was thinking. If you reverse the order, the title could be the team rankings on who has the most fickle, bandwagon-type fans. ;)

Exactly what I was thinking. If you reverse the order, the title could be the team rankings on who has the most fickle, bandwagon-type fans. ;)
Indeed! C'mon, how many Laker fans could actually name any players from their own current roster outside of Kobe/Artest/Gasol...oh, and LAM LAM! :D Fact is, it might be TOUGH to stomach our Kings, but we remain the most loyal and educated out of just about ANY NBA team's fans. As a fan since Day 1, I love talking to younger LA fans about the Lakers, I'll bring up some of the lesser known role players on their earlier rosters, and they're like 'Wow!'...I LOVE surprising fair weather, uneducated fans of other teams with more knowledge and history about their OWN teams from the past 30 years.:D John Hollinger can go suck it, as far as I'm concerned...I guess it's been awhile since he's been out our way, since we've been cellar dwellers...well Mr Hollinger, not much has changed about us fans...we're just a bit more grizzled and tough skinned now, with all the arena drama and losing in the past 5-6 years.

Pretty easy to root for the Kings - their in my hometown. We all know the Kings has had their ups and downs, but finally things look like its definitely on the up.

That was a pretty simplistic view of things. Not a very well done piece IMO as he based just about everything on recent titles won. There are so many other factors that go into it like amount of sports competition in the city, arena experience, character level of players and ownership.