Kings looking to put it together against the Suns

sacbee

Kings looking to put it together against the Suns

By Martin McNeal -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PST Saturday, November 13, 2004

PHOENIX -- If the stumbling Kings are looking for motivation tonight against the invigorated and reshaped Phoenix Suns, maybe they should start with pride.

The last time the Kings played, Wednesday night in Seattle, they were embarrassed 108-78.

The Kings have lost four of their five games this season, with two of the losses by more than 15 points. In 82 games last season, the Kings lost only five games by more than 15 points.

Entering Friday night, only seven teams were shooting worse than Sacramento's 41.4 percent from the field; its 20.9 percent three-point shooting was the worst.

Sacramento will need improved field-goal shooting from Chris Webber (40.4 percent), Peja Stojakovic (34.6 percent overall, 19.4 percent from three-point range) and Bobby Jackson (36.5 percent overall, 7.7 percent from three-point range).

Defensively, only the Atlanta Hawks (104.3) are allowing more than Sacramento's 102.4 points per game.

Kings assistant coach Elston Turner agrees his team will live or die with its core group. He said the Kings have to compensate for their lack of quickness and athleticism.

"Our main group has been through the playoffs, 60-win seasons and Western Conference finals," Turner said, "and knows how hard we have to play, so that is what is puzzling.

"I think sometimes it looks like we're being outworked because we're not the quickest team and not the most athletic team. So we have to do fundamental things to counteract those things.

"And when we get behind, in the past, we've had benches that we went to where we didn't lose a beat and even improved. But now we have some inexperience there. But we'll get it together."

The last time the Kings saw the Suns was during the final preseason game, and it was embarrassment in the form of a 124-96 whipping at Arco Arena. The Suns held an absurd 58-26 rebounding margin that night. Sacramento's best rebounder, Webber, didn't play.

Sacramento's porous defense has been affected by its poor offense. The defense will get a difficult challenge against Phoenix's wide-open offensive style. The Suns lead the league in scoring at 107 points and will come at the Kings with a fast-break attack led by former Dallas point guard Steve Nash.

The free-agent signee is a wizard at breaking down defenses with his uncanny dribbling and ability to see the floor and hit the open man (league-leading 10.2 assists per game).

The Suns have an assortment of offensive stars, including forward Shawn Marion, who excels at running the break and always has been a solid rebounder. Shooting guard Joe Johnson is one of the league's underpublicized players who can make plays for his teammates as well as score inside and outside (56 percent from three-point range).

In addition to Nash, the Suns signed free-agent swingman Quentin Richardson, who brings the ability to score inside with strength and various low-post moves as well as stretch defenses with accurate long-range shooting.

Coach Mike D'Antoni began the season with the league's youngest team. And one of its youngest players, center Amare Stoudamire, leads the squad in scoring at 24 points and is second in rebounding at 9.2 per game. Stoudamire, who'll turn 22 Tuesday, brings the perfect combination of speed, quickness, athleticism and relentlessness than can take advantage of the Kings' often slow and grounded frontcourt. And Phoenix has controlled games from the outset with its offensive production. Even in the Suns' lone defeat, a 114-109 overtime decision Wednesday night in Cleveland, Phoenix led by 18 points with 7:24 left in regulation.

Last edited:
it seems to me that the kings are quite confused at this point.
i just hope they don't get too discouraged and get used to this losing deal.
they have a wide-open fighting chance. i hope they recognize that.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Geez. I cannot believe the lack of support for this team by some "fans" - and I don't just mean the people who post here.

It's the beginning of the season, and people are giving up already? A winning team doesn't need the support of the fans anywhere near as much as a team trying to get things together.

I didn't think I'd ever live to see the day when it became more about the winning than about the team.

:(

Again, this is just a general comment after reading this thread, hearing some people on the radio, reading some letters to the Bee, etc.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
VF21 said:
Geez. I cannot believe the lack of support for this team by some "fans" - and I don't just mean the people who post here.

It's the beginning of the season, and people are giving up already? A winning team doesn't need the support of the fans anywhere near as much as a team trying to get things together.

I didn't think I'd ever live to see the day when it became more about the winning than about the team.

Again, this is just a general comment after reading this thread, hearing some people on the radio, reading some letters to the Bee, etc.
Yep!! See my signature below. :)

A

AriesMar27

the suns are yet to beat a good team, or even a playoff team for that matter. their only loss was too the cavs....

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The Suns really shot lights out in the pre-season game against the Kings. I don't think they'll be able to repeat it, but I don't think the Kings have forgotten it. At one point, the Suns were actually shooting better than 70% from the floor.

That was, however, a game where Webber didn't play, Doug played extremely limited minutes, and there were still some wannabes getting time before the final cut.

I think tonight will be a good game...

:D

VF21 said:

I agree, VF.

I'm glad there's still a few who still haven't given up. :) Sometimes I feel like I'm the only who's still around. :\

However bleak it might look to people, the Kings are going to get it together at some point during the season. And I think today might be the day. Also the Suns seem to be an ideal team to do that. They have been really successful in the young season, but don't really have a great defence. So they are beatable. And beating them would be a great confidence booster.

Last edited:
AriesMar27 said:
the suns are yet to beat a good team, or even a playoff team for that matter. their only loss was too the cavs....
great point. they have lit up the super tough nets, hawks, 76ers and the bulls. and we all know what title contenders those are! :rolleyes: the suns are also fresh off blowing a 19 point 4th quarter lead to the cavs, another title contender. yes i'm sure the kings could also go 4-1 vs those leastern confrence teams.

i think the kings could pull out a win, but peja MUST have a good game, at least 25 points. bibby has lite up nash in the past, he must do that today. the kings have a size advantage at center, so they must take advantage of it. and how some contributions from the bench??? bobby's only had one good game, how about he has another good one??? how about daruis gets something going????

LETS GO KINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!! BEAT THE SUNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

D

DeAtHrOw

It will definitely be a good game and much closer than the pre-season BS. I do hope Pedja finally has a good game.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Evenstar, excellent points, my dear. It really does make a difference which teams you have played in amassing your record.

To those expecting the Kings to get blown out.....I can't tell you how much I hope you are proven wrong.....errr....make that misguided. ;)

piksi

Hall of Famer
ReinadelosReys said:
I'm sure all the Kings will be glad to know they have your unequivocal support.
This may shock You but I do have a life outside the Kings. I will tape the game and watch it if it is worth watching.

I haven't watched or paid much attention to the Suns this season...aren't they starting Marion at PF these days? If so, does that put CWebb in the position of chasing him around, and put Miller in the position of trying to handle Amare? I don't like either of those matchups very much on the defensive end of the floor.

I don't mind them too much on the offensive end of the floor as long as Marion doesn't take Miller (since Miller isn't too great at exploiting his size against smaller defenders in the low block).

Hopefully the Kings start out the game shooting well. I think one of their problems in their road losses thus far (except for Houston) is that they are usually behind by a few points by the end of the first quarter, and spend the rest of the game trying to mount a comeback. It'd be nice to see them play with the lead like they did against Toronto on the road, and my guess is that the outcome would be much different.