Kings @ Grizzlies Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

piksi

Hall of Famer
well, a win is a win
---------------------------------------------------------------------
February 15th doesn't seam to be a good day for Kings to play basketball.
5 straight losses on this day.
However, on february 15th 1998 kings beat Wizards 88 - 86 to improve to 23 - 29 for the season. Richmond lead Kings with 29/6/4. Corliss had 24/6/3,Owens and Stewart combined for 22 rebounds. Abdul - Rauf had 10 of the bench. My question is - who are all ther players ?

"This was a very hard-fought game," Sacramento coach EddieJordan said. "The Wizards have been playing very well on thiroad trip. They beenvery scrappy in every game. We justhappened to fight real hard and Mitch came up again with somebig shots down the stretch, and we finally rebounded when weneeded to."

"A win is a win," Richmond said. "They were missing keyplayers. We knew it would have been even tougher tonight ifWebber and Howard had been in, but their bench stepped up andthat's how they win, teams take them lightly and they get onefrom them. We knew they were making a run at us, we had thegame and they came back with urgency. But we got the win andthat's what matters." --------------------------------------------------------------

Kings 24 - 28 on a 2 games winning streak finally, finally, finally won a road game. And Kings finally, finally, finally not the last in the Pacific anymore. Only 2,5 games away from the 8th PO spot - Kings are going into a ASB with a realistic hope that they can turn the things around. Only Jazz are between us and LA Kobes. In a perfect world Kings would win the next 2 and lakers would lose the next 2 - kings would beat lakers next Thursday and get to the 8 spot a week from now. Unfortunately, the world is not perfect but we will catch them - oh yeah.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

We have talked a lot about "starting" the young guys and playing them much more, etc. Would be nice if we had 82 home games. Unfortunatelly, it is very normal for young players without experience to struggle on the road. You can't learn experience. You have to "pay Your dues." That is why good teams have a large number of veterans playing most minutes. If You want to win - You have to go with the experience. Kevin Martin is capable of playing great on the road. However he has only shown flashes of that. It would be fine if he would have come of the bench but as a starter on the road - it just isn't enough. A healthy bonzi Wells would make Kings a better team and there is just no way around it.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Rebounding sure improved. we have been doing it well to a point where it won us a game tonight. Whatever reason has caused this trend - we should keep it. Certainly - the team seams to have a different attitude in general and also KT has been really good on boards lately. we will win lot's of games if we can dominate the glass this way. it is impressive considering the tendency to play a good portion of the hobbit ball every night.
Keep it up Kings!!!
As we close to a trade deadline (and the Lakers game) the trades will happen here and there until the last day. It might get crazy. Hopefully kings can steel something from the desperate/dumb/ GM's in this league. Clippers got Radmanovic today and it can help them down the road. We don't really care because a) we can't really catch them and b) they can't beat us. Hopefully, none of the trades will make our rivals better because we can use any help that we can get. And we can't be too proud to take it.
A great win tonight. We put so much effort and lot of energy to get it and it paid off. We might pay for it tomorow night but we also might develop a great momentum going into the ASB. Kings won the game on the boards - period. Never thought - it would be possible but what is normal these days - anyways ? We had 4 players that carried the heavy load tonight. Kevin joined in OT and the bench was on strike tonight. Bulls had several players playing well, but they couldn't get a rebound. Any road win - no matter how we got it - is just monumental these days.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Grizzlies sure enjoyed tonights game. they are rested at home and they are waiting. We beat them last time and I am sure - they still remember. We got nothing to lose. Might as well give everything since the break is coming anyways. first quarter will be crucial. If we start flat - it can get ugly. We will need something of the bench. We have to home that Fratello will be stupid enough to play Atkins more than Bobby. We can win the game but the odds sure doesn't favor us at this point.
Mike - well, we needed him big to win on the road and we got it. Finally. Defensively he sucked again and Bobby is waiting tomorow.
Ron - I was just hoping he doesn't foul out. Keep feeding him those pills
SAR - very inconsistant but it is expected. We need more.
Brad - was 2 assists short from a tripple double. came up big again
Bonzi - hopefully soon.
Kevin - continues to struggle on the road. he needs to improve and score 14 pts again
Cisco - nothing tonight. Tomorow maybe.
KT - what do You say to a guy who did so much and almost ruined it by pulling Shaq. I couldn't help but remember a certain game 7 of the WCF a while ago.
The rest either didn't play or will not play or just shouldn't play
RA - pulled a rabit out of the hat. I am sure that he is looking to the ASB very much.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
This is the 3rd time that we play Grizzlies this season and there are certain tendencies. We can't stop Gasol. miller will not play. Warrick will have a pre dunk competition. Bobby will be very motivated. Hopefully atkins will shoot a lot. warrick will get his threepeat of the TDM award to pull even with Milt Pallacio. We have got nothing to lose.

Kings win by 5. I look for Skinner/SAR to get more time than usual. Won't be easy though.

I say to KT - great rebounding, chill on the TOs.

Palacio got the TDM award a third time (I can understand the first two) for his blah performance in the second Arco game? The guy went 4-10 FG, had 11 pts, 5 ast. No one deserved a TDM award that game.

We stopped Pau at the Arco game, http://www.nba.com/games/20060207/MEMSAC/boxscore.html

Last edited:
Grizz will be looking for blood. Not going to be an easy one, by any means. We need to get back to the defensive intensity that we show at home. It seems like we were lucky to get the win today (haven't watched the game yet).

I hope we will win, but back to back road game especially following an over-time game and against a good team.....I will not blame anyone if we lose ugly.

Cant use the OT or any of this as a excuse, good teams win these games, so i expect the Kings to come out and get it done, i hope Artest is fine...

Adelman can go two ways on this, give the bench heavy minutes to rest some of the guys, or just go all out and play the starters do gain momentum before the break.

Last edited:
Kings113 said:
Not quite. IMO.
That's good to know that we weren't just fortunate, but the score is awfully close, which led me to believe that our defense was not up to par as our past few games. Again, I haven't watched the game yet, so I don't really know.:)

KingKong said:
That's good to know that we weren't just fortunate, but the score is awfully close, which led me to believe that our defense was not up to par as our past few games. Again, I haven't watched the game yet, so I don't really know.:)
For whats its worth we held them to 90 points in 4 Q's, total of 101 in 5 Q's, effort was there, some missed assignments *ahem*Bibby*ahem* may have kept the Bulls in the game when we had some momentum...

Čarolija said:
This is a MUST win game if we are any chance of making the play-offs.

I know we can do it but its just a matter of which Kings rock up.
Should have that mindset for every single game.

They asked Ron in a radio interview if he was concerned about the team being tired for the Grizzlies due to it being the second game of a back to back, with long minutes put on the starters.

His response was something like "No time for being tired, we've got to win."

T

thesanityannex

bibbinator said:
About time someone sacked up. I'm glad his influence is rubbing off on this team in a positive way.

P

playmaker0017

thesanityannex said:
About time someone sacked up.
Is "sacking" up equivalent to "rocking" up?

Which is more severe?

On a scale of 1 to 10 - where does sacking up lay in regards to rocking up?

Hehe.

Seriously, though, it is awesome to hear those words! The best part is that with Ron Artest - they aren't just words.

bibbinator said:
They asked Ron in a radio interview if he was concerned about the team being tired for the Grizzlies due to it being the second game of a back to back, with long minutes put on the starters.

Ron rules

SAR/Skinner/Garcia didn't play a lot last night, so that's good.

Artest wants to win in a bad way. He'll carry this team tonight, just hope his passion spreads just enough for these boys to pull it out...

I predict the best night yet for Artest in a kings jersey.

P

playmaker0017

Artest needs to whoa back on his shots and become a little more discerning with his shot selection.

He's hurting us as much as helping us when he shoots sub-40% night in and night out.

Postgame quotes:

Bibby: "Yes, I played a lot of minutes tonight but that won't bother me tomorrow, I love playing.”

Good to hear Artest and Mike not thinking about logging heavy minutes last night. I'm sure they'll give it their all and they'll really want to win this one.

Everyone hates to lose when there's a 4? (5?) day break coming up.

playmaker0017 said:
Artest needs to whoa back on his shots and become a little more discerning with his shot selection.

He's hurting us as much as helping us when he shoots sub-40% night in and night out.
Couldn't diagree more. This guy is the one who should get the ball at crunch time, he thrives off the competition. And sub 40% nights? Since when?

Last night 11 for 23, night before 8 for 17, night before that 11 for 25. He's been closer to 50%, and that's with taking some real dumb quick three pointers every night.

Artest needs to have the ball in crunch time - let's see what he's really made of.

ok, the gold unis every once in a while are ok, they dont bother me, i actually kind of like them, but they are getting to be an eye sore for me im sick of looking that them, i miss the purple :-\, but oh well as long as we win, GO KINGS

Status
Not open for further replies.