Kings give Gabriel two-way contract

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I like it. Hopefully he can get some playing time down the road and continue to work on his craft. He can be a high energy type of player with some defensive capabilities.

Solid move like it for Wayne and us but surely after last season Sampson would get like a minimum deal somewhere or else he's just better off going to Europe and making some money there than another two way.

Great. I also remember reading that one of the main reasons why he declared for the draft was because he needed money to financially support his family. He knew he wouldn't be drafted, and I think basketball somewhere overseas would've been his plan if he didn't make the NBA. I'm really happy for him. At the beginning of the SL I thought we picked him up as a favor to Calipari(we got strong Kentucky connections), but he's obviously played his worth and has deserved his 2way contract.

Yes, yes, yes!!! This news made my day! I was surprised we were able to sign him to our Summer League team before someone else did. And I am really happy we recognize his gifts and potential, and signed him to a 2-way contract. Now its up to Wenyen to take advantage of this opportunity. I am looking forward to following his progress, and his contributions to the Kings. Go Wenyen!

So for those who watched him more at Kentucky (very little exposure to his game personally, other than our SL), what's the ideal scenario for him positionally? Small-ball PF who can switch to some 3? Pure 3? Pure 4?

I'm guessing this deal has been done off the record for a week or two now. I was listening to a local Kentucky radio show when they were interviewing John Calipari. Coach probably didn't even realize he had slipped that Wenyen was signed to the Kings. He had said it in the context of a question about all these different Kentucky guys trying to make NBA rosters. He said something like Isaiah Briscoe was trying to make it with the magic, Derek Willis was trying to make it with the Pistons, Wenyen had signed a 2-way with the Kings, and he was hoping something would work out for Archie and Tyler.

I'm happy to hear that has become official. Gabriel has all the physical gifts, (including a body that would make Aileen Voison jump with joy), and great outside shooting. his biggest black mark at Kentucky was that he couldn't defend well. his free-throw shooting concerns me. His freshman year and this past season he was around 60 to 63% from the line. Yet 50 / 40 / 62 were his splits. hopefully if he wants to play the three his free throw shooting comes up. Even if he's able to become a 70% free throw shooter and can be a solid defender, he will be able to take care of himself and his family for a lot of years.

I fully believe that if he would have stayed he would have been one of those Kentucky players that by their senior year becomes a great player. In a couple of years, if not sooner, I could see him being The Back-up 3

What is a " two-way " contract??

TIA
Nba teams have 15 roster spots.
Each team can also have 2 two-way contracts. A two-way contract allows players to go back and forth from the G League and the NBA. Two-way players can only spend 45 days with their NBA team.

Last year we had Sampson and Cooley.
This year we have Gabriel and made an offer to Sampson.

It allows more guys to see NBA minutes, Quin Cook is an example of someone that was a two-way contract, but showed he had skill and earned an NBA contract.