Kings far and away the best passing team?

Just looking at the stats and noticed the Kings had the largest APG differential and APG ratio over their opponents last season.

I was wondering do you think the Kings are far and way the best passing team in the league? Does the sum of the parts and each players ability to pass make the offensive more efficient than just the inherent scoring abilities of each player?

I noticed other teams like the Spurs, Lakers, Grizzles, Nets were some of the best passing teams by the stats. But perhaps for a few of those teams it was their defense, slow pace, half-court game that enabled them to have a big gap in APG from their opponents?

But at the same time I notice the Kings had a smaller margin in their APG over opponents in 2002-03, 2001-02 when they were Top 8 or better defensively WHILE being a Top 2-3 offensive team in the league efficiency wise. And wouldn't you say they were the best passing team in the league the last few years regardless?

What other teams would you say are good passing teams in the league right now and why. And are the Kings any better at passing now than a few years ago? Or are the stats just indicating that last season they just put so much more effort last season in offense as opposed to defense, this large apg differentials cause of their one sided approach?

This Kings team, perhaps the thinnest over the last 5 years, can't be predicted right now. After a dismal pre-season, it's just impossible. If you are using the past as your guage, it's a no brainer. The Kings are way up there. This year, all bets are off.

A

AriesMar27

Yeah we do... Bibby, he's gonna lead us to the promised land. I can just see it now... "Bibby to Webb... Boo-Yaa, and one. In you face (insert opposing PF/C), "Who just got dunked on?"

Aah... Wishful thinking, isn't it wonderful?

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
There is this other guy playing center now who has been know to pick up an assist or two him self. Oh yeah and a PF who can pass as well

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
piksi said:
Vlade Divac was our PG. Now we do not have one.

Maybe it's just my imagination, but the last time I checked, we still had four guys in our starting lineup who averaged at least four assists a game last year. I think we'll be fine.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
jahhluv said:
Vladi was the glue that held the Kings together plain and simple.
Vlade was a valued member of the Kings organization from 1999-2004. The team will survive without him.

In fact, Brad Miller (Perhaps you've heard of him) had 7 assists last night in limited minutes when the team was shooting like crap...

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
jahhluv said:
Brad Miller doesnt have the leadership skills of Vladi and no one else on the team does either for that matter.
Very few teams have a guy with Vlade's leadership skills. Yet they do fine. We need someone to step up, or several someones. Most likely Webb or a Webb-led cabal of Webb/Doug/Bobby. But we don't need a leader of Vlade's caliber. Very few teams have that -- its a luxury not a necessity.

Last edited:
Bricklayer said:
Very few teams have a guy with Vlade's leadership skills. Yet they do fine. We need someone to step, or several someones. Most likely Webb or a Webb-led cabal of Webb/Doug/Bobby. But we don't need a leader of Vlade's caliber. Very few teams have that -- its a luxury not a necessity.
True dat. Most teams don't have the luxury of a "Vlade" on their side, and I suspect the Lakers will squander his talent by brushing him aside in the locker room.

Maybe Kobe has grown up sufficiently in the past year and Lakers will accept the only real production Valde now has to offer. ;)

Vlade Divac, the heart and soul of a franchise that has been in the playoffs for all six of his Sacramento seasons, is now a hated Los Angeles Laker. It was sold as a money thing. But some say it was that he and Chris Webber could no longer co-exist in the locker room. We’ll probably never know the real story, but it probably doesn’t matter. Vlade is gone :(. (KingsTalk)

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
I thought tish thread was about passing ot leadership, guess I was wrong. Being a good lockerroom presence only goes so far. Detroit brought in Sheed, who has never been noted for bing a p[ositive presence in the locker room and managed to convincingly win the championship, and many people are crediting Sheed as the team leader. I'd be more worried ablut the loss of Vlade if he had ever lead an NBA team to a championship, and if he was any where near the peak of his career. He will however make a great assistant coach when he retires.

My only concern about leadership would be if it had been Vlade's leadership and the exceptional chemistry which had been allowing the Kings to outdo themselves and play above their talent level. However, we all know that the Kings had arguably the most talented squad overall and yet still fell short. The luxury that was the happy go lucky chemisty may have led to the lack of mental toughness in game 7s. I don't really know. Only time will tell.

dont' really want to comment on vlade now because i have not gotten over the fact that he left.
i'll talk about passing. i think the kings are definitely the top 3 if not the 1st. they are very team-oriented. it's all about screening and set up a shooter. i remember being blown away by that the first time i watched them play.
they have beautiful passing skills. it's worked for them.
actually i think this is why chemistry is so important to this team. they need to be able to read one another on the court before the opposing team. they need to really be able to work as a whole.
a side note though. when the new guys try to pass like our main guys and mess it up, i find it really funny and laugh really loud.
no one can do it quite like the kings.

piksi

Hall of Famer
BJax24 said:
so what do you qualify mike bibby and bobby jackson. they were point guards the last time i checked or has the rules changed?
They are both great BB players but not PG's. They are incapable of making their teammates better. CW, Brad and DC tend to do that much more.
If You saw the game on Friday You could see that Nash is much better PG than Mike and Bobby. Their qualities go more towards finishing.

piksi said:
They are both great BB players but not PG's. They are incapable of making their teammates better. CW, Brad and DC tend to do that much more.
If You saw the game on Friday You could see that Nash is much better PG than Mike and Bobby. Their qualities go more towards finishing.
A bad game or two isn't enough to write off players of the caliber of Bobby and Bibby. Nash is a good player, I wouldn't want anyone else than Bibby to run the kings offense. He is a good point guard and I rate him among the very best.

piksi

Hall of Famer
bibbyweb said:
A bad game or two isn't enough to write off players of the caliber of Bobby and Bibby. Nash is a good player, I wouldn't want anyone else than Bibby to run the kings offense. He is a good point guard and I rate him among the very best.
I did not base the statement on the last couple games exclusively. They are both great players and I like to have them both on my team. They are just not PG's. They both love to shoot too much which is OK since both of them are good shooters. They just do not make their teammates better player.

piksi said:
Bibby owned Nash in the playoffs last year.

piksi said:
I did not base the statement on the last couple games exclusively. They are both great players and I like to have them both on my team. They are just not PG's. They both love to shoot too much which is OK since both of them are good shooters. They just do not make their teammates better player.
Bobby Jackson is a SG trapped in a PG body, that one I will grant you. Bibby, on the other hand, you are WAY off base on. He led the league in assists with the lowly Grizz the year before he was traded here, then upon his arrival here he adapted to a system which is not point guard centric. Yes, his assist numbers dropped off, but that is much more a product of the way our offense is run then any sort of lack of ability on Mike's part.