Kings Fans NFL Pick'em - Sign Up - Yahoo!

Year three for us doing this pick'em. In year one we had a point spread and in year two we had no point spread. This year.....? I prefer a spread but I'll go with whatever the majority wants. Right now the spread is turned off. Oh also there is one mulligan week, so if you forget to make your picks one week, you aren't down the drain. Basically, the lowest scoring week of your season is thrown out.

Group ID# - 3959
Password - kings

Here's uloj's league that does include the spread. You can miss TWO weeks in the season so it's not to late to join.

Group ID: 59720
Password: kings
We can have as many as 50 join so feel free to invite some friends.

Last edited:
Time for a second place three-peat! :)

I prefer it with the spread.

Why? Because if all you did was pick the favorites last year you would have won the league. I don't want to employ that kind of strategy, but if it obviously works then I'd have to seriously consider it. I'd much rather use random guessing and luck into my silver medal.

Time for a second place three-peat! :)

I prefer it with the spread.

Why? Because if all you did was pick the favorites last year you would have won the league. I don't want to employ that kind of strategy, but if it obviously works then I'd have to seriously consider it. I'd much rather use random guessing and luck into my silver medal.
Yeah see that's a good point. I'm in two leagues, this one here and a 49ers one, and the point spread league is always more fun because you have to think a little bit.

So far it's 2-2 on the point spread/no point spread.

I think I recall VF saying last year that you would start your own league if there was a point spread, which I guess would be fine but that would seriously thin out our group. I know there will be no changing your mind (;)) but some people, that maybe have never picked games using a spread, should give it a shot. I used to be scared of it too and now I love it.

Picking without the spread feels better because you get more right. But it is less fun (for me) because somebody else has already made the picks and you're just deciding which if any you want to disagree with.

If there were two leagues I'd play both, mostly because I like silver trophies.

Alright, well it looks like no spread is winning out.

Question..

I believe I can change the option of the deadline for when picks need to be made. Should I make it so the deadline is 5 minutes before each game? Right now it's 5 minutes before the first game of the week, which has screwed a few people in the past. Let me know.

Purple Reign, when I first noticed your avatar I thought that
was Mikki Moore and Reggie Theus.

Last edited:
I think 5 minutes before each game is a good idea. It will be a slight disadvantage for people who don't get online as much, but will be a big help for people who just forget about a Thursday game or who can't get online until Sunday morning.

Why don't we go ahead and make two leagues, one with spread and one without. We can leave the current one as having no spread and just add a second one. It shouldn't affect participation that much.

I think 5 minutes before each game is a good idea. It will be a slight disadvantage for people who don't get online as much, but will be a big help for people who just forget about a Thursday game or who can't get online until Sunday morning.

Why don't we go ahead and make two leagues, one with spread and one without. We can leave the current one as having no spread and just add a second one. It shouldn't affect participation that much.
Yeah 5 minutes before each game is probably best.

If we do two leagues, I would hope that people who have never played with the spread on would sign up and give it a try.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Five minutes before each game would be WONDERFUL! I know I missed at least two weeks because I forgot about Thursday night games.

Thanks for doing this again, nebs!

New separate league for picking against the spread

Ok, I went ahead and created a second league for picking against the spread.

I set it to drop the two lowest scores since I set this up so late in the game (in case people want to add after this week. I also did 5 minutes before each game so even if you sign up after Thursday's game you only lose the chance at that one point and you can still pick Sunday's games.

Here's the info:

Group ID: 59720
Password: kings

I hope people will join this league as well. Even if you don't normally like the spread it's fun to try.

I'm there. I wish some would expand their views on the point spread. It's a very rewarding experience compared to a straight pick'em. It's also a solid test to see how you may fare if you were actually betting on these games.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
You did change it to before each game, right? Or am I a freaking full week behind already?

Sorry, but life is what happens while you're busy making other plans, to quote John Lennon, and mine has been "over the rainbow" the past couple of weeks...

:)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Yeah, you only missed one game. Just pick the favorite every game and you should be ok. ;)
Excuse me? Pick the favorite? Who do you think you're talking to...

You know darned well I have an intricate system involving mascots, team colors, cities and how many orange fruit loops are in my cereal bowl in the morning.

So there!

Oh ok. I'm just gonna pick the favorite all year and see what happens. Seriously. So no one else do that, ok.
You'll win. ;)

By the way... c'mon people join the spread league, too. nebs, maybe you can copy the info and put it in the top post if you'd like others to join us.

Anybody?

Why the bump? Are you just trying to remind everyone that I'm winning? :D

By the way, if you picked all the favorites for the entire season you'd have 131 group points and be tied with me for the lead. Can everybody please just try the spread league next year?!?

Thank you for the hearty congratulations. :p

I won with 163 points, but once again if you simply picked the favorites every single week you would have scored 171 total points and 164 group points and won our league.

nebs tried that strategy but forgot to post picks one week, which ended up costing him the trophy (although I also forgot one week which would likely have let me beat him).

Can we please all pick against the spread next year?

I had a lot of fun competing against nebs in the spread league. I dominated the first 3/4 of the season but he torched me over the last four weeks to win easily. Congratulations nebster. Nice pickin'.

Thanks! And congrats to you as well.

Yeah, I wish people would give the point spread a try. I don't know what they are so afraid of. It's much more fun!