[Game] Kings @ Bucks - Sunday, Nov. 4 - 12:30 PST

The 6-3 Sacramento Kings are taking on the 7-1 Milwaukee Bucks in the home of the Brew Crew.
Screenshot_20181103-075455.jpg
Giannis Antetokounmpo is averaging a blistering 26-14-5 and the rocket ship to superstardom does not appear to be slowing down. Even more so than LeBron, I believe the Greek Freak is the toughest matchup in the NBA and the Kings will have a difficult time trying to game plan for him.

With that said the Kings have two players averaging nearly 20 points a game in Buddy (19.8) and Fox (19) and Willie not far behind them at nearly 17 game (16.8). The last time the Kings had three players at 20 points per game was that somewhat hope-filled stretch of Boogie, Rudy, and IT.

As shown in the graphic, both teams scored nearly identical numbers of points per game but the kids are dead last in team free throw shooting and the Bucks are 9th. (it makes one wonder how good of an offense the Kings could be if they weren't dead last in free throw shooting). Will that discrepancy come into play in this game?

The Bucks are number one in the NBA by far in rebounding. Will Milwaukee's proficiency in cleaning the glass slow down the king's ability to get up and down the floor?

Finally the Bucks have the best opponent effective field-goal percentage in the NBA. Milwaukee holds opponents to 46% effective field-goal percentage and the kings hold opponents to 53% effective field-goal percentage, which is good for 18 in the NBA.

As far as the starting five goes for each team:
Bledsoe vs. Fox
Brogdan vs. Buddy
Middleton vs. Jackson
Greek Freak vs. Bjelica
Lopez vs. WCS

What are your thoughts about the game?

Last edited by a moderator:
This is going to be a loss most likely, but what I want to see is do we step up to the plate and punch back at them, or do we cower in fear?

In years past, once the game turned in the other teams favor, we gave up. So far that hasn't been the case this season and I really hope it continues. The Greek freak is one of my favorite players and the dude is an animal. There's nothing he can't do and do extremely well.

The 6-3 Sacramento Kings are taking on the 7-1 Milwaukee Bucks in the home of the Brew Crew.
View attachment 8425
Giannis Antetokounmpo is averaging a blistering 26-14-5 and the rocket ship to superstardom does not appear to be slowing down. Even more so than LeBron, I believe the Greek Freak is the toughest matchup in the NBA and the Kings will have a difficult time trying to game plan for him.

With that said the Kings have two players averaging nearly 20 points a game in Buddy (19.8) and Fox (19) and Willie not far behind them at nearly 17 game (16.8). The last time the Kings had three players at 20 points per game was that somewhat hope-filled stretch of Boogie, Rudy, and IT.

As shown in the graphic, both teams scored nearly identical numbers of points per game but the kids are dead last in team free throw shooting and the Bucks are 9th. (it makes one wonder how good of an offense the Kings could be if they weren't dead last in free throw shooting). Will that discrepancy come into play in this game?

The Bucks are number one in the NBA by far in rebounding. Will Milwaukee's proficiency in cleaning the glass slow down the king's ability to get up and down the floor?

Finally the Bucks have the best opponent effective field-goal percentage in the NBA. Milwaukee holds opponents to 46% effective field-goal percentage and the kings hold opponents to 53% effective field-goal percentage, which is good for 18 in the NBA.

Bledsoe vs. Fox
Brogdan vs. Buddy
Middleton vs. Jackson
Greek Freak vs. Bjelica
Lopez vs. WCS

What are thoughts about the game?
No way Beli guards Giannis. Willie will have to take him with Beli helping off the weakside.

No way Beli guards Giannis. Willie will have to take him with Beli helping off the weakside.
That is my assumption as well. All that I did was put the starting five of each team by the positions they have each player listed as.

With that said I actually believe that if Willie can channel some of that defense that made him a superstar at Kentucky, he might be one of the six or seven players in the league that can remotely frustrate Giannis.

I wonder if coach Joerger would consider bringing Bjelica off the bench for this game? Maybe this is the game that you start Willie at the 4 and Bagley at the 5 so that you can keep the pace, let Willie match up with the Greek Freak and let Bagley and Lopez battle for boards and shoot threes against each other. If the Kings cannot get rebounds, they cannot get at the pace they want to play with. And as I mentioned in the OP, nobody is as good at rebounding as Milwaukee is.

I wonder if coach Joerger would consider bringing Bjelica off the bench for this game? Maybe this is the game that you start Willie at the 4 and Bagley at the 5 so that you can keep the pace, let Willie match up with the Greek Freak and let Bagley and Lopez battle for boards and shoot threes against each other. If the Kings cannot get rebounds, they cannot get at the pace they want to play with. And as I mentioned in the OP, nobody is as good at rebounding as Milwaukee is.
I sure hope not. I don't mind if he changes quickly if something is not working, but that starting lineup has been our strength and play really well together. They make life difficult for opposing teams and I'd hate to see them change it because they're worried about a single opponent.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Now that Joerger isn’t in tank mode, let’s see what he devises to slow GA. We haven’t been able to stop him at all.

Per previous games, run as much as you can, even on makes and see if that can wear them down. I’d run many different combinations at GA from Shump to Troy Williams to JJ to Bagley to WCS.

The other philosophy is to let GA get his but not anyone else.....Middleton has also been good against us

This is another measuring stick game. I was at the home game against the Bucks last season, and it was really ugly. They beat us by 25, and my recollection is we only got that close because of a garbage-time scoring run. We weren't even close to being competitive with that team. So let's see what this year's much-improved version can do.

I agree this will be a very good test for our Kings. I do not think we change anything and run the opponent till he tires as its a test for them also.
I have no problem with letting a player from the other side have his points if you can slow the opponents main offense down.
Keep throwing fresh legs at the Greek and make him work for every thing he does and see how fast he gets back on defense. Then keep bringing him out side and have who ever he is guarding either one on one or off the switch diving into the paint.
Tire him out or force him to foul. If we can reduce his minutes on the floor that’s a good sign for us.

I really think it will come down to if we can have a effective offensive night, active team rebounding and it will be a good test for when we return to the western teams.

IMO, the Kings bench need to come up big against good teams on top the starters keeping the scoring trend.

And, See if picking on some weaker teams help the Kings confidence against better teams.. The Bucks just took the Celtics, the best EC team, down to the end in Boston losing by 4 or 5. It was a close game.

Larry89

Disgruntled Kings Fan
My thoughts is that we have a good chance against any team this year. Bad matchups (even though at this stage everyone looks to be competent defensively sans JJ/Giles) are negated by the fact that our pace and ball movement is so high. We are also top three best three point shooting team in the league but near bottom 5 in attempts.

I was watching some Bucks game to see how the Kings can approach this game and the Bucks are not good at defending the three, one point of emphasis drawing from the fact that their big men are quite slow. WCS can not guard Brook Lopez in the post, but can Brook run and play interior defense while switched onto guards or in transition with WCS?

https://bucksfilmroom.com/2018/11/02/milwaukee-bucks-defense-was-exposed-against-boston/

Bjelica will be key this game, he needs to draw out Giannis/Lopez, he's going to be switched onto one of those guys this game with the way we play defense. Bjelica will need to have a good shooting night as WCS has not taken many outside shots this season. WCS is mobile, Bjelica is mobile, Bagley is mobile (although his man to man is better than his help defense). WCS usually comes over and tries to hedge/trap guards with his long arms and cuts off passing lanes while Bjelica rotates over from the baseline/corners to cover the roll man. We are very quick and disruptive on the perimeter.

Our main concern will be offensive rebounds and rebounding, you need to finish the play if you want to get into transition. I really expect WCS to get into Foul trouble, with Koufos in, he will be able to guard Lopez 1v1 and box out well but Giannis is a monster.

I want to see Bagley play some extended minutes this game, we need his hustle and offensive rebounding, He will be a mismatch nightmare for the Bucks Bench/Lopez /Illyasova

Buddy needs to step up, he will most likely be guarded by Brogdon/Bledsoe/Divincenzo, all great defensive guards. Especially Donte Divincenzo

Last edited:
I was listening to a Sam Vecenie podcast and he pointed out that the Bucks have given up the most uncontested 3s in the league. However, teams are onlyshooting about 30% from 3 against them (that won't hold up).

I would start the game with either Troy Williams or Shumpert on the Greek Freak. Force him to beat you from the perimeter while keeping WCS from getting into earlyfoul trouble.

Some interesting schemes gave been suggested. We have nothing to lose by trying something new against Milwaukee. You have to account for Giannis and help out on him. I like the idea of Willie and Bagley. I would foucs on the defense against superman and change horses often.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Anyone know where the Bucks are in pace?

I think Sac stays with what’s working and just runs as much as possible, on misses and makes and try to wear them out. Use that whole roster in this one.

I think Sac stays with what’s working and just runs as much as possible, on misses and makes and try to wear them out. Use that whole roster in this one.
If they do that, you can't convince me that Lopez can keep up -- especially as the game wears on. They'll have to sub him out. As long as the KINGS get past the 1st wave of defense, they should get easy baskets from their BIGS in transition.

It'll be interesting to see how Bledsoe and the other guards set up their defense after made baskets.

Bucks are a surprise, Giannis I felt would be good, not this good. They don't miss Parker at all, in fact the Bulls are like 1 and 7. Super glad we got Bjelica instead.
If Troy is good to go, that seems like the natural neutralizer in this game. I'm enjoying Shump but Giannis will make him look like sweet pea.

Last edited:

Larry89

Disgruntled Kings Fan
The Bucks are the best rebounding team in the NBA, we will need to focus on defensive rebounding in order to get the break going. We need Buddy and Dearron to get 8+ boards again. The Bucks are a top 3 defense and the Kings cannot afford to get off to a bad start.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
View attachment 8425

Bledsoe vs. Fox
Brogdan vs. Buddy
Middleton vs. Jackson
Greek Freak vs. Bjelica
Lopez vs. WCS

What are thoughts about the game?
First thought -- thanks for the great intro!

Second thought - win or lose, I'm incredibly proud of what I've seen thus far from the Kings. If they can keep up the heart, hustle, energy and effort I'll be a very happy Kings fan.

Third thought - I LOVE THIS TEAM!

Kingster

Hall of Famer
As far as the Greek Freak is concerned, I'd expect Bjelica, Bagley and WCS will take turns on the guy. You would think that WCS with his mobility would do ok on him, but that hasn't happened so far.

The Bucks are long and strong with their interior defense and offense. If Fox and Buddy and Co. think they are just driving in for layups in the half court game against this team, they better think again. But with the exception of GK and DiVincenzo, the Bucks are not an athletic, fast, or particularly quick team. Kings are superior at the starting guard positions. Bucks may try to take advantage with their bigger, stronger guards against the smaller Yogi and Mason though.

Boston showed how to beat the Bucks - you drive the ball and kick out to your 3 point shooters. Boston would patiently drive the ball to the beginning of the paint and then kick back or out to a 3 point shooter. The Bucks didn't have the speed or quickness to get out to the 3 point shooters. The last thing on earth the Kings should do against the Bucks is play hero ball; it will totally play into their hands. The Bucks will love to slow it down and grind on the Kings. The Kings of course should speed it up and run on these guys as much as possible. I thought Boston did a relatively poor job in that area against the Bucks, though they won the game because of their finesse at driving and kicking to 3 point shooters in the half court.

The Kings team is an entirely different one from the team that faced the Bucks last year. If you look at who was getting minutes in the Kings' games it was guys like Randolph, Hill, Skal, and Temple. The Kings are rested, confident, and their best player just came off of a triple double. Can they play with enough finesse to beat the Bucks? We'll see.

Should be a fun game. I’m expecting a loss, but I hope it’s a close one, similar to our loss vs. the Jazz. If we had Bogdanović, I would consider starting Bagley to help out our rebounding weakness. But there’s not enough spacing without Bogie at the SF spot.