Kings 3-0 without Tyreke...

Basketball is a team game. Thats all that this thread proves. Evans is an undeniable talent, but he only does a few things really well. When he plays the 1 he walks the ball up and the offense starts at 16-17 seconds. The Kings used to hear the 24 second buzzer a lot, but now are a break oriented team. That has uped their offense 15 points a game. When Evans plays the 2, he can't shoot well enough. When he plays the 3, it allows for IT and MT to be very productive. Evans can play better than any other 3 that the Kings have. At the NBA level he is not indispenable or irreplaceable.

Basketball is a team game. Thats all that this thread proves. Evans is an undeniable talent, but he only does a few things really well. When he plays the 1 he walks the ball up and the offense starts at 16-17 seconds. The Kings used to hear the 24 second buzzer a lot, but now are a break oriented team. That has uped their offense 15 points a game. When Evans plays the 2, he can't shoot well enough. When he plays the 3, it allows for IT and MT to be very productive. Evans can play better than any other 3 that the Kings have. At the NBA level he is not indispenable or irreplaceable.
Agreed. I wonder if Bulls don't win NBA championship this year (I think they'll come of just short again) if they'd trade Joakim Noah for Reke - or if we'd do it? Then Kings could go with TWill in Reke's place as starter or 6th man.

Agreed. I wonder if Bulls don't win NBA championship this year (I think they'll come of just short again) if they'd trade Joakim Noah for Reke - or if we'd do it? Then Kings could go with TWill in Reke's place as starter or 6th man.

Joakim Noah for Reke??? Are you delusional?

That shift also allows the worst defensive guard combo in the NBA.

enough with the tyreke hate. Ive said this before and ill say it again. What's the bulls record without d rose this year? last time i saw it was something like 11-4. Does that mean they are better without him? hell no. Its not reke's fault hes forced to play SF. He should be at SG. He has shown off the ball improvement, is a willing passer, and lately ive seen his jumper improved.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
enough with the tyreke hate. Ive said this before and ill say it again. What's the bulls record without d rose this year? last time i saw it was something like 11-4. Does that mean they are better without him? hell no. Its not reke's fault hes forced to play SF. He should be at SG. He has shown off the ball improvement, is a willing passer, and lately ive seen his jumper improved.
Some of the people making the comments are big fans of Tyreke, so there's no hate there. Just critical observations. One way to settle this argument is to put Tyreke as the starter at SG and let Thornton come off the bench for the rest of the season and see how it works. Sometimes, it comes down to a matter of how the pieces fit together. I don't think anyone can deny that we have a problem in that area. The question is, how do we fix it? The truth is, Tyreke is a very popular player, and however you answer that question, your going to upset someone. I was one of the few, including Kingster, (I have to mention him or he'll get mad) that promoted drafting Tyreke, so I certainly don't hate him. But at the moment, he appears to be the ill fitting piece on the team. I agree with Bricky that sending Tyreke to the bench is not the answer. Do that and you run the risk of his walking away when his contract is up.

So trading him may be the best answer. But not just for the sake of trading him. You have to get value. Regardless of anyone's personal opinion, he's a very good and unique player that was ROY. I think Tyreke would flourish in the right system. So you have to get value!! The last thing you want is to trade a good player, and then watch him lead another team to a championship. As Bill Walsh used to say. "Its better to trade a player one year too early, than one year too late."

K

Kingsguy881

Aw dude shut it. I'm one of the biggest Tyreke supporters out here and no matter where he ends his career I will have followed the whole thing. However, the writing might be on the wall that this situation the Kings have may not be the best fit for him, and the undeniable fact is his game has NOT grown from his rookie season more than a mere iota. Whose fault for that is left up in the air, but this team will go as far as DMC takes it, not Tyreke as we had originally thought after his rookie season.

Tyreke at this point is best used as trade bait. Williams might have come to this team and made Tyreke expendable. So far, Williams kinda seems to be what we had hoped Tyreke would turn into by this year. Hard to not look at him and see that.

I love Tyreke. But (hypothetical) say we slide into the lottery at #3, our 3rd overall pick and Tyreke might be enough to get the #1, and AD next to DMC would be my wet dream.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Ah...threads like these take me back to the days of Webber. About the time I quit defending Kings fans to outside peeps.

You know who else would be an "ill-fitting piece" for this team? Dwayne Wade. You know, after we moved him off the ball to SF and told him to spot up. In fact regardless of what Reke is or is not, you can make any great player an ill fitting piece -- just move him out of position and take the ball out of his hands. How do you think DRose would do at SF after we gave the ball to IT? I would ask how you do think Westbrook would do, except Westbrook is fierce and selfish enough IT would porobably go missing and Westbrook wold show up to practice the next day with a bloody ball and a self satisfied smirk on his face. The question isn't turning a great player into an ill-fitting piece. That part's easy (even premeditated?). The question is if you're a stupid enough franchise to do such a thing. You have the potential to make the very worst mistake in the history of the Sacto era, and there have been some doosies.

Brick, you got to stop comparing this to Webber like it's a bad thing. When the Kings traded Webber, he was nearly washed up. He was retired and out of the league before the contracts they traded him for were even close to being up. It would have been nice to hang on to him and see him retire here, but he was a hobbled, defensively marginalized big man on a running team.

As for Reke, I would like to see him start at SG with IT and have Thornton come off the bench for a bit to see how both Marcus and Reke handle it. The thing is, at either SG or SF, Reke has the same weaknesses. He just might touch the ball more at SG. In the end though, he needs to have more than one dimension.

And for the love of all that is sacred and holy in hoops, stop comparing Reke to superstars and all-stars. Those guys never got into Reke's situation because they improved their game. They made themselves better so they could not be marginalized. Reke has not progressed. This is on him. If Reke had a mid-range or outside jumper, then we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Last edited:
Ah...threads like these take me back to the days of Webber. About the time I quit defending Kings fans to outside peeps.

You know who else would be an "ill-fitting piece" for this team? Dwayne Wade. You know, after we moved him off the ball to SF and told him to spot up. In fact regardless of what Reke is or is not, you can make any great player an ill fitting piece -- just move him out of position and take the ball out of his hands. How do you think DRose would do at SF after we gave the ball to IT? I would ask how you do think Westbrook would do, except Westbrook is fierce and selfish enough IT would porobably go missing and Westbrook wold show up to practice the next day with a bloody ball and a self satisfied smirk on his face. The question isn't turning a great player into an ill-fitting piece. That part's easy (even premeditated?). The question is if you're a stupid enough franchise to do such a thing. You have the potential to make the very worst mistake in the history of the Sacto era, and there have been some doosies.
^^^
Also have Tyreke has really showed he is willing to do anything to win for the team, come off the bench, sit out, change positions at his own detriment.
the guy has a team attitude, can you say that about certain other players on the roster?

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Tyreke at this point is best used as trade bait. Williams might have come to this team and made Tyreke expendable. So far, Williams kinda seems to be what we had hoped Tyreke would turn into by this year. Hard to not look at him and see that.
We hoped that Evans would become an 8/3/2, 15mpg off the ball roleplayer? I certainly hope nobody important hoped that.

One of my favorite Brick posts, ever.

Bricklayer

Brick, you got to stop comparing this to Webber like it's a bad thing. When the Kings traded Webber, he was nearly washed up. He was retired and out of the league before the contracts they traded him for were even close to being up. It would have been nice to hang on to him and see him retire here, but he was a hobbled, defensively marginalized big man on a running team.
I am well aware that many of the same peeps who thoguht the Webber trade was a good thing think this might be a good thing. I would expect it. That's not a compliment.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
:eek:

In what universe is this a point in favor of the trade?

Petrie trading him for crap

Is different than the Kings needing to move Webber because he no longer benefited the team and still asked to dominate the ball more than what was beneficial for the team.

Thus, wanting to trade him and the eventual bad trade that happened are not the same thing or same party of agreement.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

Is different than the Kings needing to move Webber because he no longer benefited the team and still asked to dominate the ball more than what was beneficial for the team.

Thus, wanting to trade him and the eventual bad trade that happened are not the same thing or same party of agreement.
Probably worth mentioning that Webb dominating the ball was still most likely better than the ball dominating trinity of Peja/Brad/Bibby that followed.

K

Kingsguy881

Ahhh, the DWade farce. I admit it, I even compared Reke to Wade myself. Thing is, Wade played like his 3rd year with Shaq and actually USED him. Not to mention actually grew his game in the years since his rookie season. Fact of the matter Bricksta is that IT has taken Tyrekes place at the 1 because he HAS BEEN BETTER than Tyreke. Better at making the team go offensively.

I would like to point out how stagnant the Kings offense has been under Tyrekes direction, how many games we had to come from 10+ down in order to make it interesting, and not just this season but ever since Tyreke was a rookie. He can NOT run an offense. He can NOT direct an offense. He can NOT lead a team. He can do none of these things and he has been given 2 and a half years to try. I do not advocate getting rid of him, but he has been EXTREMELY underwhelming of late and when he doesn't play the guys play more like a team which is something I have missed. I'm sure all Kings fans have missed that.

He hasn't grown. I see no growth from him. A bit of change, yes, but no growth. I don't see him dribbling into traffic as a decoy and then dropping off a pass that he was looking for from the beginning, I see him drive into traffic looking to score and then having to drop it off as a bailout. I see Tyreke beat his man on the perimeter and instead of pulling up for a 12-15 foot running jumper or tear drop floater, he tries to get by the next two guys and ends up throwing up a wild shot or getting rejected.

I remarked to my bud a few games back how he is probably shooting better from half-court runners than regular three pointers. Our discussion came to the point that he would be dangerous, DEADLY even if he would just do a running pull up from the foul line after beating the first defender and before the second defender gets to him. Now dammit I hate to go here, but I have to. My bud and I have come to the conclusion that Reke is just too dumb to figure it out. Somebody has to tell him, somebody has to take him into a room and show him game film, show him how he gets open at 15 feet and can do a running pull up, something Rose and Westbrook both have used to much success, as opposed to always trying to get all the way to the rim.

To conclude my long *** post, I don't think the Kings organization has the knowledge needed to pass this kind of info on to Tyreke or anybody to sit down and teach him, I don't think they are committed to finding someone who can teach it to him (they are obviously focused more on developing DMC, not that I blame them though), and Tyrekes brothers are dumber than him and couldn't figure it out even though they watch his game more than the Messiah.

Oh yeah, OT but Jimmer needs to figure out that his greatest weapon when he has the ball is to find an open space and get to it and stretch the defense, not drive into the teeth of it or back himself into a corner. And he needs to not leave his feet when he has the ball unless he is shooting it. That is all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Ahhh, the DWade farce. I admit it, I even compared Reke to Wade myself. Thing is, Wade played like his 3rd year with Shaq and actually USED him. Not to mention actually grew his game in the years since his rookie season. Fact of the matter Bricky is that IT has taken Tyrekes place at the 1 because he HAS BEEN BETTER than Tyreke. Better at making the team go offensively.

I would like to point out how stagnant the Kings offense has been under Tyrekes direction, how many games we had to come from 10+ down in order to make it interesting, and not just this season but ever since Tyreke was a rookie. He can NOT run an offense. He can NOT direct an offense. He can NOT lead a team. He can do none of these things and he has been given 2 and a half years to try. I do not advocate getting rid of him, but he has been EXTREMELY underwhelming of late and when he doesn't play the guys play more like a team which is something I have missed. I'm sure all Kings fans have missed that.

He hasn't grown. I see no growth from him. A bit of change, yes, but no growth. I don't see him dribbling into traffic as a decoy and then dropping off a pass that he was looking for from the beginning, I see him drive into traffic looking to score and then having to drop it off as a bailout. I see Tyreke beat his man on the perimeter and instead of pulling up for a 12-15 foot running jumper or tear drop floater, he tries to get by the next two guys and ends up throwing up a wild shot or getting rejected.

I remarked to my bud a few games back how he is probably shooting better from half-court runners than regular three pointers. Our discussion came to the point that he would be dangerous, DEADLY even if he would just do a running pull up from the foul line after beating the first defender and before the second defender gets to him. Now dammit I hate to go here, but I have to. My bud and I have come to the conclusion that Reke is just too dumb to figure it out. Somebody has to tell him, somebody has to take him into a room and show him game film, show him how he gets open at 15 feet and can do a running pull up, something Rose and Westbrook both have used to much success, as opposed to always trying to get all the way to the rim.

To conclude my long *** post, I don't think the Kings organization has the knowledge needed to pass this kind of info on to Tyreke or anybody to sit down and teach him, I don't think they are committed to finding someone who can teach it to him (they are obviously focused more on developing DMC, not that I blame them though), and Tyrekes brothers are dumber than him and couldn't figure it out even though they watch his game more than the Messiah.

Oh yeah, OT but Jimmer needs to figure out that his greatest weapon when he has the ball is to find an open space and get to it and stretch the defense, not drive into the teeth of it or back himself into a corner. And he needs to not leave his feet when he has the ball unless he is shooting it. That is all.
So we're just going to pretend that defense is not necessary to get anywhere in the NBA?

rainmaker

Hall of Famer

Premeditated? Hmmm, something has popped into my head recently, is conspiracy related, but given the recent events with the Maloofs and the IT ROY campaign I see as an attempt to milk every last penny out it him as possible, I wonder it this holds any water...

Would our FO, maybe directed by the Maloofs, a few months prior to Reke being up for an extension(coming July), play him out of position knowing his stats and play will suffer in order to possibly low ball him and get him to sign an extension for less than he's worth? Makes it tougher for Reke's agent if Reke's stats have been in the toilet to demand more money. Also makes it tougher for Reke and his agent to say we'll just walk, as his market value is being lowered by the week.

Normally I'd give this zero thought, but given the way things have transpired within this organization recently, and the way they penny pinch and try to save money in any way possible...

Bricklayer

Indeed, we were on pace to win 54 games at the point Webber was traded that year, and he was coming off Player of the Month honors in January with I think 3 triple doubles as I recall. I of course remember all the glory years that followed however.

Now what I DO distinctly remember was night entering our teams future as we built the team around one defenseless limited gunner after another leading to 8 straight years as one of the league's worst defensive teams. But hey, we scored lots of points! Keeps the less basketball saavy fans glassy eyed and entertained.

Last edited:

Evans is no Wade, and no Rose. Wade would supplant MT immediately at SG and Rose would replace IT at PG.

I want Evans to work all off season on his mid range jumper and then come back and play SG for a year and see if he works there.

Also, that 3-0 without Evans is kind of a dumb thing to bring up. It's as bad as the 6-4 thread with Evans at PG or whatever.

Because Petrie failed at filling the roster with what that team needed to be and could be does not make continuing to center around Webber a good thing at the time.

Webber no longer fit and he didn't seem willing to accept another role.

I can't believe I'm having this debate. I mean come on. This is loony. It's been years. People should know better.