King notes: Big men pass their best

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/basketball/kings/story/11375058p-12289556c.html

King notes: Big men pass their best

By Joe Davidson -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PST Wednesday, November 10, 2004

For the Kings' offense to really work, Rick Adelman was explaining, the big guys don't just have to play big, they have to pass big.During their 0-3 start, the Kings at times looked as if they were wearing loose high tops in sand while operating their high-post offense. But they found the proper gear in routing the Toronto Raptors 108-92 Tuesday night.

Chris Webber and Brad Miller combined for 16 assists, 23 rebounds and 42 points. They thoroughly outplayed their front-court counterparts, Loren Woods and Chris Bosh, who combined for no assists, 14 rebounds and eight points.

"We run a lot of stuff through Brad and Chris for good reason," Adelman said.

Said Miller: "Most big guys aren't looking to play outside, but we have that luxury with Webb and me. We love it."

Monitoring Webber -
Webber had a triple double in his 30 encouraging minutes. How he performs tonight at Seattle will be telling. The forward missed Monday's practice to rest his sore left knee, which sidelined him for 50 games last season.

"I do have a concern about back-to-back games," Adelman said. "He's still not where he needs to be, but he's better than he was last year."

Barnes has mixed results -
Matt Barnes received a hearty ovation from the Arco Arena fans, some of whom might have caught his act when he played at Del Campo High School.

The free-agent swingman had nine points, five rebounds and two steals in 25 minutes. He also committed a game-high five turnovers, and he could afford to laugh at his fourth-quarter gaffe in which he bobbled the ball on a wide-open three-point attempt, resulting in a traveling call.

"I was mad about that," Barnes said with a smile. "I had all the time in the world to shoot, too. I still had fun tonight, though."

Bibby to be honored -
Mike Bibby pretty much did it all in college, piling up accolades and championships in a dizzying two-year run.

Thursday, he will have his No. 10 jersey retired after the University of Arizona's exhibition game against Sonoma State. His will be just the third retired basketball jersey in school history, following Sean Elliott's and Steve Kerr's.

"It's definitely a great honor," Bibby said. "I never thought this would happen, but it makes me proud. The only thing I'm nervous about is giving a speech."

Bibby was a high school star in Phoenix, a major national recruit who settled on the Wildcats with inside influence. From the start, Bibby grew especially fond of Bobbi Olson, wife of Arizona coach Lute Olson. She provided a nurturing touch for Bibby, and they remained close until her death in 2001 from cancer.

"When I first got to college, I was nervous, like someone who didn't want to leave home," Bibby said. "She made me feel comfortable. She was always there for us, kind of babied us a little. I wish she could be there (Thursday)."

At Arizona, Bibby was the Pacific-10 Conference Player of the Year, an All-American and the catalyst for the 1997 team that won the national championship. He became the highest-drafted NBA player from the university, the second pick in 1998 to the Vancouver Grizzlies.

"You know, I was mad about that," Barnes said with a smile. "You know, I had all the time in the world to shoot, too, you know. You know I still had fun tonight, though. You know.''

Mad D said:

"You know, I was mad about that," Barnes said with a smile. "You know, I had all the time in the world to shoot, too, you know. You know I still had fun tonight, though. You know.''

Did Matt actually say that much "You know"?

Almost like Bobby Jackson. LOL :D