Key to game thread "awards"

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
As promised, here's the list of commonly accepted KF awards for particular accomplishments during a Kings game.

JHA- Jason Hart Award - The Kings player who does nothing, is expected by the fans to do nothing and yet, for reasons known only to someone deep in the bowels of Arco Arena, sees playing time anyway.
TDM-Tony Delk Memorial - Originially awarded to the former King who came into Arco and lit us up big, it now includes any player from another team that far exceeds any and all expectations and puts up career numbers against us.
LW-VC- Luke Walton Vacum Cleaner Award - Given to the player on the opposing team who plays so poorly he enables a King to have an exceptional good, possibly season or career high, night.
RA&1- Rafer Alston And 1 Award - Given to the player who spends way too much time trying to be flashy and hurts his team in the process.

These are the classics, the awards that have been around the longest and are most commonly recognized.

As far as the Mikki and the SAR go, I don't know if they're really awards so much as certificates that primarily came into existence because of their namesakes. Are they really as enduring as the ones above?

Last edited:
I like the four main awards. The Mikki... He is too nice a guy to mock for too long. I like his story and I wish him the best. As far as SAR goes, I cannot mock him for anything. He gave the Kings a HUGE gift by retiring early and becoming a big-man coach.

I do, however, think there should be a:

Artest/Salmons award for "playing outside yourself"; You know, shooting/dribbling the Kings out of a game.

The Rick Adleman award goes to the coach when he opts to stick with his main 7 the whole game even in a blowout thus giving the youth little to no time to play.

The Atlanta Hawks fan award: this goes to a Kings game crowd that is not doing their part and cheering. It is hard to forget the last Kings/Hawks game IN ATLANTA where A HAWKS PLAYER did these two things: 1. an alley-oop dunk 2. jumped out of bounds and saved a loose ball AND THERE WAS NO CHEERING AT ALL FOR EITHER PLAY; it was so bad, Grant made a comment about it on the broadcast.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Okay, I think there's a bit of confusion here. I wasn't intending to open it up for ADDITIONAL awards. ;)

I honestly think four is about enough for a regular basis. I do not like the idea of disrespecting Rick ADELMAN at all, BTW. And I wouldn't honor Artest with any kind of recognition.

My thought, for whatever it may be worth, is these things are meant to be fun and not mean or vindictive. And yes, I know the JHA contradicts that philosophy. But Jason Hart was a royal pain in the patoot, not an honored and respected coach to whom we owe much.

Also: Usually it's Piksi who handles the game threads, followed by Venom and then me. We are all prone to interpreting these a little differently. Usually though, if there is no game thread 2 hours before game time. someone should feel free to jump in and throw up a generic "what, no game thread?" type of game thread.

In short: we try. And trying, like knowing, is half of the battle.;)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Also: Usually it's Piksi who handles the game threads, followed by Venom and then me. We are all prone to interpreting these a little differently. Usually though, if there is no game thread 2 hours before game time. someone should feel free to jump in and throw up a generic "what, no game thread?" type of game thread.

In short: we try. And trying, like knowing, is half of the battle.;)
Word.

Bump for the understanding of the un-indoctrinated : I have just attempted to give the first awards of the 2009-2010 (pre)season.

MIKKI MOORE AWARD: the player that has more fouls than points and rebounds combined. being the recipient of a good pass or a broken down play resulting in a "thunder dunk" and making an a** out of himself by pounding his chest and screaming at the air

Maybe we should sticky this, since it keeps coming up for newbies and those with no long-term memory or short attention spans. ;)
I appreciate the through explanation of these "Awards". I kinda figured them out by the context they were used in but a definitive breakdown of these "Awards" is great! Now if we could just get the chance to give an award for "Backcourt Duo that got their act together and became a Dynamic Duo!" :D

Thanks. On a side note, I always thought that the Rest: Mateen was a reference to resting Mateen (long gone, but still an inspiration) and that cracked me up! He was always so active on the sidelines. I guess the intended meaning of the rest of the team cheering and towel waving is good too.:eek: