Kayte Christensen

I'm one of the "few" that doesn't like Doris Burke's presentation.
I'm one of the "few" that like Kayte's analysis and color commentary. It is much more tolerable than DC.
The PBP guys are OK until Kyle starts with the DC imitations and over-the-top reactions. That seems to throw Kayte a bit off.
I honestly can’t stand Burke. Find her highly annoying

I'd like to hear how Kayte does in person (at a home game) and with Mark Jones. I have a feeling she'll start to settle in.

As others have pointed out, Draper seems like a fun dude and good at hosting pre and post game; however, I'm just not feeling his play-by-play. I think my tipping point was Sunday when he made a tire "screeetch" sound when fox cut and juked his defender. Maybe (MAYYYBE) you do something like that on a replay when you're trying to be playful, but not during the flow of the game.

I'd like to hear how Kayte does in person (at a home game) and with Mark Jones. I have a feeling she'll start to settle in.

As others have pointed out, Draper seems like a fun dude and good at hosting pre and post game; however, I'm just not feeling his play-by-play. I think my tipping point was Sunday when he made a tire "screeetch" sound when fox cut and juked his defender. Maybe (MAYYYBE) you do something like that on a replay when you're trying to be playful, but not during the flow of the game.
I agree on both points.

We’ve heard enough from Draper by now to make up our minds. He’s not good at PbP. Not good enough for anything beyond infrequent fill-in duty. But IMO Kozimor was better in that role.

I wasn’t a fan of Kayte as sideline/lockerroom reporter for reasons many already stated, but I’m still open to her as color commentator. Perhaps she’ll grow into the role. I didn’t think DC was very good when he started out but gradually improved as he figured some things out. If she’s not better by this time next season, I’ll be much more critical.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
You mean as Grant helped him. Doug even said at the time he was constantly learning from Grant.
Maybe so, but I still didn't like Grant's calls. Way too often it consisted solely of saying players names over and over. No actual play by play. I actually like it when the PBP guys do SOMETHING instead of saying "Fox....Holmes....Buddy....Fox!" That really does NOTHING to contribute to the call. I like the new guys bringing some excitement and flair to the calls, even if they are a bit over the top at times.

And I really like Kayte's long discussions and explanations. I find them helpful and informative. She provides a lot of technical detail in a way I can follow.

GWD

G-League
I think what this whole thread demonstrates is that PBP and color commentary DO make a difference in the game experience and enjoyment.

There will be differing opinions of what is "good" or "bad" about the announcing based on personal preference.

As another example, Look to the Giants and A's broadcasters and the attention each draws or loses.

The game is the central focus, of course, but rarely does a fan choose to mute the sound. (Although, I admit to doing it in certain circumstances.)

Anybody notice that Kayte is a bit like tofu in that she absorbs the style of the PBP guy. Not that she doesn't have her own style, just that with Jones she seems calmer and analytical. With Draper she is a bit more frantic and animated.

As a color commentator, maybe her role is to support the PBP person. I'm not a media expert so don't know.

This is not to be negative at all. Just an observation.

Anybody notice that Kayte is a bit like tofu in that she absorbs the style of the PBP guy. Not that she doesn't have her own style, just that with Jones she seems calmer and analytical. With Draper she is a bit more frantic and animated.

As a color commentator, maybe her role is to support the PBP person. I'm not a media expert so don't know.

This is not to be negative at all. Just an observation.
She’s in a tough spot for sure. Probably not too many color commentators that have to switch off the PBP partner so often from game to game. Jones is a seasoned pro and in IMO Kayte works well with him, much more so than Draper. I’ll admit, Draper is growing on me, in that “drunk uncle” sort of way. I really didn’t enjoy him much at first, but now I find myself smiling/laughing during his calls. While I still think Kayte was much better as studio analyst/host/side line reporter, she certainly doesn’t detract from the enjoyment of the game for me. She will only get better.

Let me add more things to the Kayte fan club list.

I really (really) like that she fully names the players she discusses. No "HB" Harrison Barnes, CP3, and so forth. no Buddy "Love", "Mobile" Holmes, etc., no "butter" or other food references, no hysterics on good or bad plays. I'm sure there are more.

The analysis is right on as well. My wife understands and enjoys her commentary - and that is no small matter.

A minor tweak for Kayte from her fan club (well, me).

The last game, she over-personalized her analysis. There were a bit too many "I would like...", "I think the Kings should...", etc. She would be better served to eliminate the "I" as much as possible and it would strengthen her evaluations. As in" The Kings should...", "If the Kings did X then Y would happen", "X player is...", etc. My thought is that she is still growing into the position and will fully establish her style by the end of the season. (And into the playoffs!??? :eek:)

Once again, my wife commented, "Kayte really knows basketball." I think it is because Kayte can communicate that she really knows basketball.

I agree on both points.

We’ve heard enough from Draper by now to make up our minds. He’s not good at PbP. Not good enough for anything beyond infrequent fill-in duty. But IMO Kozimor was better in that role.

I wasn’t a fan of Kayte as sideline/lockerroom reporter for reasons many already stated, but I’m still open to her as color commentator. Perhaps she’ll grow into the role. I didn’t think DC was very good when he started out but gradually improved as he figured some things out. If she’s not better by this time next season, I’ll be much more critical.
Jim Kozimor was the best they've had in any role, since way back when I first heard him on games with Grant in 1999. After he came back for the last couple of seasons, I thought we might see more of him,...but I think he wanted to open the door for someone new, like Morgan. I wonder what he's doing now?

I like Kayte’s color commentary a lot. I’ve learned so much about the game listening to her. Early on I felt she tended to talk a little too much, however now I think she’s really falling into a nice rhythm. Since I’m in Southern California I follow the kings with the NBA package and typically switch back-and-forth between home and away announcers. I’d say Kayte is definitely near the top of the list of my favorite color commentators, But I would say our play by play is pretty mediocre compared with the rest of the league. I grew up listening to Chick Hearn, so maybe I have unrealistic standards.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I'm not in the mood to argue with anybody who doesn't like Mark Jones or Kyle Draper's style. Jones is relevant to my interests, but that's neither here nor there: people like who they like. But, yeah, if your baseline is Chick Hearn, I think it's fair to say that your standards are unrealistic.

Im sorry Kayte is way too long winded, sometimes 2-3 possessions go by before shes done and in the middle of her analysis she has to awkwardly do play by play. Shes gotta stop giving studio analysis in middle of game. short and sweet.

I disagree. That's the content I'm here for.
theres dead ball time or other times for it. not in middle of plays. she'll be talking about plays that happened like 4 possessions ago before shes done. and she'll talk through it all. this isnt like a Peyton manning version of the Broadcast, theres a flow to it and she doesnt have it yet.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
theres dead ball time or other times for it. not in middle of plays. she'll be talking about plays that happened like 4 possessions ago before shes done. and she'll talk through it all. this isnt like a Peyton manning version of the Broadcast, theres a flow to it and she doesnt have it yet.
This isn't radio. I don't need someone telling me that Fox took a shot. I can see that he took a shot. The analysis she brings is more important to me than listening to someone tell me what I'm actively watching.

Different strokes for different folks. I'd rather learn something than just be told what's happening in front of me. I'm watching that. I know.

This isn't radio. I don't need someone telling me that Fox took a shot. I can see that he took a shot. The analysis she brings is more important to me than listening to someone tell me what I'm actively watching.

Different strokes for different folks. I'd rather learn something than just be told what's happening in front of me. I'm watching that. I know.
I guess, Yes there's a time for it and place for it (yes during a game as well). But this is a Sacramento Kings game. Not the Kayte Cast. and its awkward.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I guess, Yes there's a time for it and place for it (yes during a game as well). But this is a Sacramento Kings game. Not the Kayte Cast. and its awkward.
It's not awkward at all. This is an experienced, intelligent, and charismatic analyst breaking down what you are seeing on the floor in a way for lay people to easily understand. Frankly, I'd be perfectly happy if she did the broadcast on her own and did what she does the entire game.

I don't need someone telling me Fox put him in the spin cycle. I don't need someone saying Buddy hit a 3. The score is in the corner of the screen - I can see that the basket by Barnes pulls them within 3. I don't need a play by play on TV. Radio, yes. TV, not so much.

It's not awkward at all. This is an experienced, intelligent, and charismatic analyst breaking down what you are seeing on the floor in a way for lay people to easily understand. Frankly, I'd be perfectly happy if she did the broadcast on her own and did what she does the entire game.

I don't need someone telling me Fox put him in the spin cycle. I don't need someone saying Buddy hit a 3. The score is in the corner of the screen - I can see that the basket by Barnes pulls them within 3. I don't need a play by play on TV. Radio, yes. TV, not so much.
lol yikes. ok

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I mean, exactly what does Draper saying "Fox put him in the spin cycle" or whatever add to my understanding of the game? I'm serious - why is that so important on a TV broadcast? I saw what happened the first time, and then again on the replay. It's superfluous.

Kayte illustrating how Fox's drive drew in an extra defender and allowed for the extra pass to an open Buddy is actually contributing to my understanding of how the play was drawn up and why the play worked. Or how they ran the same play three times in a row but went to the second option instead of the first and took advantage of a mismatch. Or why a certain foul was on the defender instead of the ballhandler. That's what I want to hear.

This is what color commentators do more frequently in general, or haven't you heard Jeff Van Gundy ramble on for 5 minutes about something random while play moves on. I don't think she's any worse at this than Christie or Jerry were. She just needs to make sure she picks her spots. End of game, important possessions, etc., of course her focus needs to be on the action. But if we're 2 minutes into the game and she's talking over some run of the mill play, free throw, or whatever, I personally think that's fine as long as the point she's making is interesting (and maybe that's where we differ).

I think she's doing a good job, but as Warhawk said... different strokes for different folks.

I mean, exactly what does Draper saying "Fox put him in the spin cycle" or whatever add to my understanding of the game? I'm serious - why is that so important on a TV broadcast? I saw what happened the first time, and then again on the replay. It's superfluous.

Kayte illustrating how Fox's drive drew in an extra defender and allowed for the extra pass to an open Buddy is actually contributing to my understanding of how the play was drawn up and why the play worked. Or how they ran the same play three times in a row but went to the second option instead of the first and took advantage of a mismatch. Or why a certain foul was on the defender instead of the ballhandler. That's what I want to hear.
In theory, the PBP guy is like a more polished fan who is making us, the viewers, more excited while we watch the game. Sort of like a narrator. The problem is, the guys who do it now, Draper and Jones, are just absolutely terrible. It's the same lame lines/cliches over and over again:

"Spin cycle"
"Weight room"
"Bully ball"
"Middie"
"Float game"
"Bang, bang, bang"
"Buddy....from Elk Grove" (sometimes they get creative and substitute different cities)

And then there is Jones and everything being a reference to food:

"Fox playing with his food up top"
"A little room service"
"He stole his cornbread"
"Jelly, jam, etc"
"Butter"
And the most incredible one of all: "He's hot like fish grease!"

It's just incredibly cringeworthy. The entire Kings TV crew, other than Morgan, is just terrible. I can deal with Kayte for now and I think she'll get better. I mean, they have Matt Barnes doing the pre, half, and post game shows. It's embarrassing, honestly.