Justise Winslow or Patrick McCaw?

Seems that Justise Winslow and Patrick McCaw are within reach of the Kings, if things break our way. Either one would be a significant upgrade from Justin Jackson. What would it take to land the one you would prefer to see in a King's uniform this year?

dude12

Hall of Famer
Love Winslow’s defense but offensively, he would have to be surrounded on the court with offensive outside shooters.
He just signed an extension for 13M iirc, so....can he be traded now or is there a waiting period?
Defensively, he’s light years ahead of any wing we have and able to guard lots of spots. He’s significantly better than JJ

McCaw, his stats don’t really look that good but I understand the projection. He’s an RFA?

McCaw is still a RFA. So all they need to do is out-bid the Warriors, if they pull it off that will be like sort of what happened with the Mavs and Yogi, but a bit later.

Pat is a legit 6'7" but he's actually more of a SG, and he's skinny, so he's not exactly a prime candidate to replace justin jackson. he can fill in though. Just 23 years old and he's intriguing in an uptempo system, good passer! he has excellent instincts in the passing lanes defensively. If he can shoot it from 3 he'd be a major bargain on a multi year deal.

I don't see much risk in this equation on the kings end...

I used to watch McCaw at UNLV and he's got ice running thru his veins. he's clutch.

I would take Winslow. Seems like a player who could break out but he's missed a lot of games in his short career. He can rebound and pass. Shot well from 3 last year after shooting very poorly his first two years but his free throw percentages have always been down in the 65% range so it's difficult to trust that.

McCaw has never really done anything to impress me and has poor advanced metrics for a guy on one of the best teams of all time. He would be an upgrade over Jackson but more than likely still a below average player. Doesn't shoot or rebound well. Can pass a little and isn't a good defender.

I've seen enough of Winslow that I don't think he'd help us at all. If he ever learns how to shoot from the outside, he could be dangerous, but for now ...

Probably niether never been impressed by Pat and I do like Winslow but the lack of shooting would make him a bench player if we are starting Fox/Bagley.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
considering Winslow just signed a three year extension with the Heat, I don't see him as a possibility. Why would you bring along McCaw when the Kings have enough undersized guards right now, they need to cut bait on 2 or 3 of them before even considering that option.

considering Winslow just signed a three year extension with the Heat, I don't see him as a possibility. Why would you bring along McCaw when the Kings have enough undersized guards right now, they need to cut bait on 2 or 3 of them before even considering that option.
Winslow's new 3-year extension qualifies him for an “extend-and-trade” deal. That's what makes it possible (albeit not probable) that he could become a King. But if Pat Riley has given up on Butler, it's probably not at all likely.
I didn't look up the stats to see where McCaw most often played, but I definitely saw him play at both the 2 and 3. And even at 6'7 he would be every bit as tall as JJ, only with a much higher upside IMO.

Last edited:
In regards to McCaw as a SF, we would be about 100% better with Bogi there as he is strong enough to play there and way, way better than McCaw.

100 percent better? Based on what I saw last year, you’re 100 percent wrong. In spots, Bogdan can play the 3. Please provide the stats of when the Kings played Bogdan at the 3.
Full time? not quick enough and definitely not strong enough to handle most 3s in the league.

Bogdan is a role player. Nothing more.
Can shoot, Can pass and that’s about it.
Thinking he’s the Kings answer at the 3 is laughable.
Not saying Winslow or McCaw are the answer either. But, they are both significantly younger. People don’t realize Bogdan will be 26 this season. If you think his game has more ceiling, he would be the next Lou Williams.
I don’t

I like Bogdan as a 2. He’s decent. Not dominant by any stretch of the imagination.
Can shoot, pass, average defense.
Nothing amazing.

He will see the bulk of his minutes at the 2 when he returns. Hield has not shown he can start and that fact was still aparrent this preseason.

Last edited:

dude12

Hall of Famer
100 percent better? Based on what I saw last year, you’re 100 percent wrong. In spots, Bogdan can play the 3. Please provide the stats of when the Kings played Bogdan at the 3.
Full time? not quick enough and definitely not strong enough to handle most 3s in the league.

Bogdan is a role player. Nothing more.
Can shoot, Can pass and that’s about it.
Thinking he’s the Kings answer at the 3 is laughable.
Not saying Winslow or McCaw are the answer either. But, they are both significantly younger. People don’t realize Bogdan will be 26 this season. If you think his game has more ceiling, he would be the next Lou Williams.
I don’t

I like Bogdan as a 2. He’s decent. Not dominant by any stretch of the imagination.
Can shoot, pass, average defense.
Nothing amazing.

He will see the bulk of his minutes at the 2 when he returns. Hield has not shown he can start and that fact was still aparrent this preseason.
In regards to McCaw as a SF

Out of the 2, Winslow might be worth the risk.
He’s a plus defender. Shot better last year. He’s only 22. He brings a winning mentality. Spoelstra and Riley are two of the best. Spoelstra played him out of position most of last year and still put up respectable numbers. Miami plays a lot of small ball. I live in Miami. I go to quite a few games. He does have injury concerns. It’s one FA pick up that Vlade wouldn’t get crucified for.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I'd take Winslow on that 3-year contract. He's a physical player (5.3 rebs in 27 minutes during preseason) who seems like he means it when he plays defense. Yes, shooting is an issue. Yes, the Kings need outside shooting from the 3 and/or the 2. Is it a great fit? Nope. It's a roll of the dice that I'd be willing to make, admittedly because the Kings are so desperate for small forward help and because his hard work could eventually translate into decent shooting.

I vote neither. Need a sharp shooting vet at 3. Basically, if you cant get a premiere small forward to fill the spot, the next best way to be competitive is to have a sf that knocks down the spot up 3. McCaw and winslow are neither of those things.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
At the moment, I don't think either of them is a perfect fit. Winslow has the size and strength, but McCaw is a better shooter and a much better passer. I think McCaw is more of a SG than a SF, and when you watch Jackson struggle with the stronger SF's in the game, you won't improve in that area. I think I'd rather wait till the next freeagency period and see if I can find a more perfect fit rather than take on another 3 year contract for a player that doesn't excite me.

Now if you could get McCaw on a one year deal, then I'd be on board.