Justin Jackson's career-high 28 points

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Last night was frankly on the very high end of what I expected to see from him. Likely an outlier game, but hopefully he can keep that attack mentality on both sides of the ball. That's what we need.

JJ played well and was more aggressive last night than in any other game.

Curious what Blob will say haha as they predicted for him to have an awful game. I’m sure it will be along the lines of outlier game and he still is garbage.
Also want to see how Kingsfan2002 will fit this into the narrative that JJ is the worst player ever. Most likely we'll just hear crickets until the next time he has a bad game.

JJ played well and was more aggressive last night than in any other game.

Curious what Blob will say haha as they predicted for him to have an awful game. I’m sure it will be along the lines of outlier game and he still is garbage.
Well to be fair it was an outlier game. JJ is about confidence, he misses a shot and gets down on himself. Last night he played with the mental approach that shows what he is capable of doing.

Last night was frankly on the very high end of what I expected to see from him. Likely an outlier game, but hopefully he can keep that attack mentality on both sides of the ball. That's what we need.
He's played at a high level against strong competition in NCAA, so I'm hoping he has more mental toughness than most people give him credit for and that what we are seeing is evolution, not outlier. But he has to prove it. If he can be a solid rotation 3&D I think that's fine with me. He doesn't have to be our starting 3 to make the trade a winner imo. I'm so happy to see him play well he's a good guy.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
It sure seems to me that his increased aggression is leading to more confidence, which in turn is helping his shooting. The play that I really noticed was where he was battling for getting a rebound, and finally came up with it. Is Justin Jackson Jackson actually getting physical? I want to see more of that! Is he making the same kind of leap that Buddy Hield did in the 2nd half of last year? I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he is. He just has to continue getting into the scrum. And I'm hoping that in the off season he devotes himself to getting stronger, as that will just add to his aggression and confidence going forward.

gunks

Hall of Famer
I mean, I don't think it's disrespectful to say 28 points on insanely good efficiency is an outlier game, he certainly isn't going to do that on the regular.

But yeah, JJ is gonna have good games. People are just going to need to move on to another scapegoat, because he's been solid for awhile now and is still improving!

I would like to think that JJ is turning a corner. It used to be that if he didn't make shots, he was a non-entity on the court. It seemed to me that in recent games, he was playing a more solid floor game despite not making shots. Then, last night he was aggressive, made shots, and his game took off. Hopefully, he will hold on to some of that feeling and start playing decisively and with more confidence.

10/14 FG's
5/7 from 3
5 boards
1 ast
1 turnover
1 steal

his best game as an NBA player. interested to see how he's gonna follow this up.
I can't remember who it was, but someone absolutely dumped on JJ and his game when I called him a rotation player on a playoff team. He's halfway through year two, and he did this against the two time defending champs while playing damn good D on a top 3 all time SF.

It's just one game... but where are you now???

Last edited by a moderator:
Also want to see how Kingsfan2002 will fit this into the narrative that JJ is the worst player ever. Most likely we'll just hear crickets until the next time he has a bad game.
it would be great, like absolutely great if JJ could play like this all the time. he was awesome last night, and has played better as of late. his mins and production earlier in the year were a disaster. he was a disaster. he was also a disaster last year.

Hes a G-league all-star and a euro all-star caliber player. Im promising you he will never be a starting NBA quality player. he's a role player at best with still much to prove as far as consistently.

he played BETTER defense last night.....but anyone that wants to argue with me about his defense in general should grab a note pad and tally up each time someone blows by him (and I mean right by him). I still see him as a huge liability and when his missing his open 3's he's unplayable.

I think its possible he could unlock another level to his game. hitting those 3's really opens up his floater. if he can stay in front of people and do all that he could be a solid bench player.

I loved watching him play last night btw. I don't root against him. again for much of the season before his last few great games he was garbage mostly. Lets hope for the better of the team and not have wasted a pick that he can, or has evolved. theres no dispute last night was awesome tho. just need to pump the brakes on this being a regular occurrence. he's definitely been trending up

I can't remember who it was, but someone absolutely dumped on JJ and his game when I called him a rotation player on a playoff team. He's halfway through year two, and he did this against the two time defending champs while playing damn good D on a top 3 all time SF.

Tayshaun Prince 2.0

it would be great, like absolutely great if JJ could play like this all the time. he was awesome last night, and has played better as of late. his mins and production earlier in the year were a disaster. he was a disaster. he was also a disaster last year.

Hes a G-league all-star and a euro all-star caliber player. Im promising you he will never be a starting NBA quality player. he's a role player at best with still much to prove as far as consistently.

he played BETTER defense last night.....but anyone that wants to argue with me about his defense in general should grab a note pad and tally up each time someone blows by him (and I mean right by him). I still see him as a huge liability and when his missing his open 3's he's unplayable.

I think its possible he could unlock another level to his game. hitting those 3's really opens up his floater. if he can stay in front of people and do all that he could be a solid bench player.

I loved watching him play last night btw. I don't root against him. again for much of the season before his last few great games he was garbage mostly. Lets hope for the better of the team and not have wasted a pick that he can, or has evolved. theres no dispute last night was awesome tho. just need to pump the brakes on this being a regular occurrence. he's definitely been trending up
I mean, he's more or less been a decent rotation player this season:

21 MPG
7 PPG
2.9 RPG
1.3 APG
57% TS
37% 3pt

5.9% TOV rate (fairly certain this is the best in the league)
.079 WS/48
.2 VORP

Actually has a positive ON/OFF rating which is surprising:
Offense: 113.5 ON || 114.9 OFF
Defense: 113.9 ON || 116.9 OFF
Net: +1.5 ON/OFF

Considering where he was last season, the fact that's he's developed into anything at all this year is a super positive development. He's not a starter and I'm not sure if he can ever get there, but he's absolutely earned his bench role.

Agree, but important to note that it was pretty strictly ONLY October. (I went back and checked when he started consistently being decent). It's looking like it was simply a bad start. Lots of things in motion for this team means role player types haven't found their niche. Plus, the yips too probably.

Oh yes that's who it was thank you so much for helping me remember. I'm not normally this revenge oriented, but the smearing of a good man's name (JJ) I cannot abide, when it was as nasty as that. @Kingsfan2002 I'm here when you're ready to try the new buffalo crow wing special.

I have really noticed his improvement on defense and he seems active now as compared to inaction and being lost for games at a time.
His last stretch of games have had to be a big ego boost and I truly hope that he carries it forward.

He has always had a decent shot but I cringed every time he shot as I expected him to miss. Now that he is attacking more and outside shot is starting to fall that’s great.

For myself I just need to see it more consistently for most of the rest of the year. Sometimes I forget he’s still at the beginning stage of his career. But I will give credit when it’s due and he’s been decent lately.

Jackson is long at 6'8'. He matches up with players like Devin Currant just fine. But he is a kind of a 5'10' guy stretched out another foot. I hope he can get stronger because he has the talent to go with plenty of guys in the league. It is a bonus to think of him as a strong defensive player. The Kings' defense continues to improve because of guys like Jackson and their level of effort.

Never anticipated a game like this from jackson. He has always seemed to me wittle too slow, weak, and inconsistent to put a game like this together. Confidence has seemed like a big issue. I still dont see him as a plus defender but he does put in the effort. Rebounding has also been a big negative with him. What I've always liked though us he is not mistake prone and seems to have good IQ. Understands where to be and how to cut or when to switch or help defensively.
That said, big props to him for producing this game against an elite team WHILE WE WERE STILL IN THE GAME. He has made some shots before but too often it was like BMAC and it would come when pressure was off.

Hope there is more good production like this to come. JJ seems like a great dude and uber positive so big bonus for team chemistry if he can establish himself as part of the winning future